Any Catholic happy campers? Tales and tips, please

  • Thread starter Thread starter nordskoven
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nordskoven

Guest
I love-hate camping. I do find that if I have handy gear, it’s a treat and I find myself using the stuff around the house in my everyday life. I use a good Swing-Away hand crank can opener in the kitchen because it works every time with no fuss or hanging lids. I use a good comfy folding director’s chair that’s stout. I can’t recommend those triangle leg chairs that fold into a wee long bag as they can break at the joint.

That propane stove makes a nice adjunct to outdoor grilling for side dishes. I also like rocket stove-type rigs that turn twigs into blow-torch fires to start my charcoal for outdoor cooking. This, for me, consists of a wood stove T connector set on its side to feed twigs into the bottom T leg. Those tin cans with handles and vent holes act like rocket stoves. I stick this right on the grill coal grate and feed sticks in and get a big hot fire, then put charcoal in. This way there is no chemical taste to the barbecue or stinky fumes and it is mega-fast, faster than using those chemical starteres. Hip new rocket stoves have little battery fans that create blowtorch fires with no big logs and one model, BioLite, even converts the heat into electricity to charge a cell phone or computer with a USB connector.

thecoolist.com/biolite-campstove-and-usb-charger/

Sure, I want to drink out of that pure mountain stream but don’t want to risk getting Giardia or Cryptosporidium from some elk pooping in the water 2 miles upstream. I have used a PUR pump filter system that will kill 99% of everything but that’s not good enough. Now I have the MIOX rig that is about the size of a thick pen. You add pure salt and water and it makes a bug killer, a non-toxic chemical hyper-oxidizer that will kill 100% of those pathogens and parasites. No pump, just let it sit in a jug. You have to wait four hours for it to work on Giardia. If you have military personnel in the family, this would make a great gift. Get extra batteries. They store for over 5 years.

miox.com/miox-solutions/MSR-MIOX-Purifier-Pen-sales.aspx

I don’t like chiggers and no-see-ums so will try to stop them up front by scrubbing up with a good skin-friendly soap. FELS NAPTHA is gentle, old timey brown washing soap and the bonus is, it will remove poison ivy oil. I used this on a kid once who got poison ivy in his eye area at a 4th of July shindig and it was only a little uncomfortable for a short while but that whipped it fast. I had my hardware store order FELS NAPTHA and keep it in the car. Lavender oil or lavender-scented soap is the only thing that will repel bugs so keep away from any scented anything. PS Blue attracts skeeters so opt for any non-blue gear like tents if possible.

New LED flashlights are wonderful and can work for long hours while providing truly useful light. My favorite is a clip-on cap light that is a straight stick that costs $20–not cheap–but it only takes one AAA battery and is very bright and lasts eight hours.

Stuff I don’t like includes the pricey Leatherman multi-tool that have a knurled connector that can loosen and drop out. Glue those in with nut glue from the auto parts store.

I’m really vexed with the leaky connector in my plastic canteen CamelBak-type water sack that fits inside my day pack. I guess job one is to check out all your stuff before starting out. That includes food, because your tummy might not agree with certain types of dehydrated food or trail mix recipes. Anyway, I’d love to hear any funny stories, tips or tricks you might have and hope these help. GBU!
 
Shop. Army. Surplus. Works well and is practically indestructible. Everything from duffel bags to canteens.

How to make a dining fly:
  1. Tie a rope between 2 trees at waist height-nice and tight (Note. Should be perpendicular to wind direction)
  2. Drape tarp over rope. stake off side facing wind
  3. tie 2 unstaked corners to a pole (1 for each corner) stake off poles and enjoy!
 
And as for the water- use a pump filter. works on everything (including giardia) as fast as you can pump! We used them in NM. worked great!
 
We rough it down South. I’m a Boy Scout Leader and we camp one weekend each month. Those Dec/Jan/Feb trips are our Frostbite camps! Lots of fun, though. The kids are lucky enough to have the old 1960’s Scout tents- basically big canvas tents. They stay fairly warm in them. I have two tents- both 2 man tents- one for summer and one for winter. Those camping trips are some of my favorite times…

EricW.
 
My dh and I don’t do rough camping–we have a small trailer–I mean tiny. It’s 5’ by 10’ making it one step up from a tent. We tried tent camping but at our age it was a no go.

We converted a new cargo trailer into a travel trailer by having one custom made, which still cost us way less and gave us what we wanted in a small trailer. We had an RV door and windows put in, a roof vent, a fold-up step, electrical connections, with the back of the trailer closed up (otherwise it would have been a ramp).

The rest we put in ourselves, including a built-in (which my dh and I constructed) fold out bed (with a futon mattress we store in the back of our truck during the day), a homemade wooden countertop, wire shelving, a canvas garment bag for a closet, a fold away table, a porta-pottie, and carpet tiles for the flooring.

And we have some amenities, such as an electric fry pan and a mircrowave, an electric Coleman ice chest that opens like a fridge but cost hundreds less than an RV fridge, a portable 5000 btu AC unit, a wall panel heating unit, a radio, a wall clock and a mirror. We see no need to suffer just to enjoy the fun of camping at a state park.

My dh is in charge of the outdoor cooking. He has two kinds of grills and rigged his own propane feeder for them so he doesn’t have to buy small propane cans that cost more in the long run. We bring a screen gazebo and have our camp chairs for lounging on.

We mostly go weekends, not for longer periods of time, but I think we could even retire in our little camper because it’s got everything we need and nothing we can’t use. 😃
 
I love camping! My goal is to build up a small stockpile of outdoor gear and preserved foods because I feel we all need to do a better job of preparing for things like natural disasters and hard times. I have also found that having these things on hand can save money. For instance, I really love the little thermos I got recently. It is durable and just as good for going to work as it is for for going out to the woods! I love going through camping stores and sports stores! One day I would like to have some land so I can spend some more time outdoors.
 
Shop. Army. Surplus.
How to make a dining fly:
  1. Tie a rope between 2 trees at waist height-nice and tight (Note. Should be perpendicular to wind direction)
  2. Drape tarp over rope. stake off side facing wind
  3. tie 2 unstaked corners to a pole (1 for each corner) stake off poles and enjoy!
My army surplus folding handle coffee cup is my favorite for car camping and is long enough that I can put it on a rock close to the fire and keep my coffee hot while keeping the handle cool enough for use.

Thanks for the dining fly tip.-my go-to camping breakfast is oatmeal with diced dried apricots for flavoring/extra nutrition. A hot breakfast on a cold morning with a good cup of coffee (and a book) is the way to go.-(I pregrind my coffee at home and pack it in ziplock bags and use a plastic one cup dripper and filter.
A few pieces of pitchy wood will help get that camp fire up to speed in a hurry and can also be packed in ziplock.
Packing your stuff in a trashbag before putting it in your pack will keep it dry in bad weather and an extra trash bag with a few holes punched appropriately can stand a a rain coat as you double time it back to your camp site. Maybe I should change my screen name to hooked on plastic.👍
 
BTW, has anyone actually tried applying Listerine as a mosquito repellent? I’ve been hearing about it but have yet to meet anyone who can speak from personal experience and have stuck with my can of Cutters.
 
I always pack all my clothes in plastic Ziploc bags, then put them in my pack. If it starts to rain heavily or if your pack goes into a river, they will stay dry. You can pack them pretty tight if you squeeze out all the air before sealing the bag. Put socks on top because you’ll probably want those first.
 
Always take stuff in sectioned out containers or smaller bags especially if you go on a float trip and camp out of you’re boat or kayak. Always take 3 light sources, plenty of water and food…plan on more than you need I always end up sharing extra but better to have more food than you need then not enough. Check out REI.com they are the best for camping gear and you can even return stuff years later and they will repair stuff or replace parts with no hassle.
 
I love camping! My goal is to build up a small stockpile of outdoor gear and preserved foods because I feel we all need to do a better job of preparing for things like natural disasters and hard times. I have also found that having these things on hand can save money. For instance, I really love the little thermos I got recently. It is durable and just as good for going to work as it is for for going out to the woods! I love going through camping stores and sports stores! One day I would like to have some land so I can spend some more time outdoors.
This is a good idea. Seems like every time the power goes out (often this summer), we are getting into our stash and gear. Not camping related, but if you get land and have a well, get a handpump installed over it…Thanks for the thread.
 
My dh and I don’t do rough camping–we have a small trailer–I mean tiny. It’s 5’ by 10’ making it one step up from a tent. We tried tent camping but at our age it was a no go.

We converted a new cargo trailer into a travel trailer by having one custom made, which still cost us way less and gave us what we wanted in a small trailer. We had an RV door and windows put in, a roof vent, a fold-up step, electrical connections, with the back of the trailer closed up (otherwise it would have been a ramp).

The rest we put in ourselves, including a built-in (which my dh and I constructed) fold out bed (with a futon mattress we store in the back of our truck during the day), a homemade wooden countertop, wire shelving, a canvas garment bag for a closet, a fold away table, a porta-pottie, and carpet tiles for the flooring.

And we have some amenities, such as an electric fry pan and a mircrowave, an electric Coleman ice chest that opens like a fridge but cost hundreds less than an RV fridge, a portable 5000 btu AC unit, a wall panel heating unit, a radio, a wall clock and a mirror. We see no need to suffer just to enjoy the fun of camping at a state park.

My dh is in charge of the outdoor cooking. He has two kinds of grills and rigged his own propane feeder for them so he doesn’t have to buy small propane cans that cost more in the long run. We bring a screen gazebo and have our camp chairs for lounging on.

We mostly go weekends, not for longer periods of time, but I think we could even retire in our little camper because it’s got everything we need and nothing we can’t use. 😃
My dad once converted a short school bus into a camper for hunting camp. It had fold down bunks and a table, counter, stove and sink in the back…wow that was fun.
 
My dad once converted a short school bus into a camper for hunting camp. It had fold down bunks and a table, counter, stove and sink in the back…wow that was fun.
Yeah, it’s amazing what can be done by converting one, less expensive unit into a usable camper. We opted out of a sink because the kind of parks we camp at have water outlets. We simply heat our water for dishes in our mircowave and wash them outside. I do appreciate having the ability to make meals inside the unit. We considered teardrops, but most required outdoor only cooking, which is inconvenient in bad weather. Besides, teardrops are to tight for us, except the Tab, which is too heavy and expensive for us.
 
We love to go camping. We have taken trips every summer since we were married - small babies to teenagers!

What we look forward to is the family time with hiking, campfires, s’mores, fishing and more. The best is the food! Our favorites include biscuits and gravy for breakfast, brats or pudgie pies for lunch and enchilada pie in the Dutch Oven for dinner. We’ve even made brownies over the campfire.

It’s just great to get away from all electronic devices and just enjoy each other and the simplicity of nature.

👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top