Any Insight?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sjsander
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sjsander

Guest
Hi Guys,
I am taking a Intro to World Religions class as I needed a 4 credit hour class and for our last section we are learning about Christianity and Islam. Thus far I have learned that what scholars refer to as the Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew and Luke) differ greatly from the Gospel of John. According to my teacher, Matthew, Mark and Luke are in a 50% verbatim agreement with each other but are only in a 10% agreement with John.
I was wondering if anybody has done further research and found out why? The obvious reasons would be that they were written by different people I know but things he mentioned were that according to Matthew, Mark and Luke Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist but the Gospel of John mentions no baptism. He also said that the authors of Matthew and Luke had their own separate materials from which they wrote their gospels but they also had the Gospel of Mark in front of them while writing…
 
Hi Guys,
I am taking a Intro to World Religions class as I needed a 4 credit hour class and for our last section we are learning about Christianity and Islam. Thus far I have learned that what scholars refer to as the Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew and Luke) differ greatly from the Gospel of John. According to my teacher, Matthew, Mark and Luke are in a 50% verbatim agreement with each other but are only in a 10% agreement with John.
I was wondering if anybody has done further research and found out why? The obvious reasons would be that they were written by different people I know but things he mentioned were that according to Matthew, Mark and Luke Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist but the Gospel of John mentions no baptism. He also said that the authors of Matthew and Luke had their own separate materials from which they wrote their gospels but they also had the Gospel of Mark in front of them while writing…
John wrote his Gospel from a different perspective. His Gospel is more focused on the Love of Christ and on Spiritual aspects as the others are on what Christ did and taught.
 
John seems to fill in some of the blanks left out by the synoptics, which were already in circulation, giving readers additional information about the life and teaching of Jesus.
 
Hi Guys,
I am taking a Intro to World Religions class as I needed a 4 credit hour class and for our last section we are learning about Christianity and Islam. Thus far I have learned that what scholars refer to as the Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew and Luke) differ greatly from the Gospel of John. According to my teacher, Matthew, Mark and Luke are in a 50% verbatim agreement with each other but are only in a 10% agreement with John.
I was wondering if anybody has done further research and found out why? The obvious reasons would be that they were written by different people I know but things he mentioned were that according to Matthew, Mark and Luke Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist but the Gospel of John mentions no baptism. He also said that the authors of Matthew and Luke had their own separate materials from which they wrote their gospels but they also had the Gospel of Mark in front of them while writing…
The Bible is not a history book. One of my favorite ta da moments was during Easter when I was reading the different Gospel accounts of that GLORIOUS event-THE RESURECTION! Each Gospel is different- morning,evening,two men, angels-Saints that were dead walking around- the entire Universe was changing. Put all the Gospels together as words that are used to create a picture, a timeless event in Salvation History. One event has many different perspectives that do not make the event change.
 
The Bible is not a history book. One of my favorite ta da moments was during Easter when I was reading the different Gospel accounts of that GLORIOUS event-THE RESURECTION! Each Gospel is different- morning,evening,two men, angels-Saints that were dead walking around- the entire Universe was changing. Put all the Gospels together as words that are used to create a picture, a timeless event in Salvation History. One event has many different perspectives that do not make the event change.
Actually, the Bible is a historical document, especially the OT books Exodus, Joshua through Ruth, although some are out of order chrinoligically. The books of Luke and Acts were specifically written to document Christ’s ministry and the early Church. This is why John is important. His book is not a documentary but a personal memoir of Jesus. I heard someone once say the Synoptic Gospels are for those seeking Jesus, John is for those whom Jesus has found. Good Luck with your course O.P.
 
The four Gospels are all in perfect agreement. We have to remember that God is the primary author of scripture. God put exactly what he want’s us to know in the Gospels and his message is in perfect agreement across all four Gospels

The professor is doing what professors do… analyzing things. But the Bible was not written to be analyzed as a history book.

-Tim-
 
Try to think of the Gospels as complimenting each other.

God Bless
 
Wow, I believe Tim hit it right on the head.

Most teachers mean well, but there are some that like to sow doubt. There is an agenda at work behind the scenes. The world of academia has been overrun by people contrary to real faith. They want you to leave the semester with some serious setbacks in your faith life.

Do not let this bother you though. Get an A in the class and keep your faith at the same time. Jesus wanted us to be just as shrewd as the people of this world. You can do it!

Be sympathetic to the “professor’s” point of view and even expound on the points brought forward. In your heart, know that God is truth, the way, and life.

God bless you!
 
A lot of people mention the Revised Standard Version - 2nd Catholic Edition.

This is available in a nice study Bible format called the Ignatius Study Bible.

There is a brief survey of the ideas about the gospels and their agreement. Obviously, the Catholic Church is not going to say that they are inspired but don’t agree on “the gospel.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top