Any Tips on Chanting?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonathan3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jonathan3

This feels like a stupid question… But I have no idea how to chant lol
I’ve been trying to chant my daily prayers, but it sounds awful. I’m trying to copy what my priest does during the liturgy but I’m really just making it up as I go. Is there a specific rythm you are supposed to follow?

Thanks!

I’ve been trying to chant my daily prayers, but it sounds awful. I’m trying to copy what my priest does during the liturgy but I’m really just making it up as I go. Is there a specific rythm you are supposed to follow?

Thanks!
See this course: Cantor Education Roadmap (MCI)

Have you tried Youtube-ing? I watched this video once and found it helpful:

40.png
Jonathan3:

Thanks!
See this course: Cantor Education Roadmap (MCI)
These classes are excellent.

I think the chanting differs depending on tradition. I function as a reader (not ordained) in a small Orthodox parish and I have received some basic instructions from one of our musicians. One important aspect is that you should be able to hear where a sentence begins and where it ends. You should also be able to hear where a psalm ends.

Anyway, the fact that you can hear that your chanting sounds horrible is a good sign, it means that you are probably not tone deaf and that you will likely be able to improve. At least that is what my wife (who is very involved with the music in Church) and others tell me when I despair. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back