Anybody know about the Archangel Uriel?

• Thread starter Thread starter otaku21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

otaku21

I have heard something about “traditional Archangels”, and Uriel was specificaly mentioned. I googled it, and found a bunch of retro/new age junk, but it gave me a little info. Does anybody know the Catholic position on Uriel, and the other Archangels not mentioned in the Bible?

Arigatou (Thanks)!
Karasu-kun

In Jewish tradition, Uriel is the guardian angel who drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden and stands guard at its gates until the messiah comes to break down the walls of paradise.

Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut ^_~ It was very helpful!

40.png
otaku21:
I have heard something about “traditional Archangels”, and Uriel was specificaly mentioned. I googled it, and found a bunch of retro/new age junk, but it gave me a little info. Does anybody know the Catholic position on Uriel, and the other Archangels not mentioned in the Bible?

Arigatou (Thanks)!
Karasu-kun
According to the information I received years ago, St. Uriel as St’s Michael, Gabriel and Raphael and three others I will not mention (but there is seven archangels each in charge of a sacrament), the church never approved the other archangels and so they are left unknown, other than by orders who have studied the angels. St. Uriel was not approved or not spoke of because the only archangels that are legitimate in the church teachings are the three listed in the Bible.

The only angels mentioned by name in the bible are Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel.

(Probably that should be Micha-El, Rapha-El, and Gabri-El for some etymological reason…)

Uriel is mentioned by name in the apocryphal Second Book of Esdras (not 2nd Esdras in the Douay-Rheims or Vulgate; that’s Nehemiah in current Bibles), as an angel who interprets apocalyptic visions for Ezra, starting in chapter 4.

2nd Esdras can be found in some editions of the Good News Bible (with Deuterocanonicals/Apocrypha), Revised Standard Version, and King James Version (rare). My Palm Bible+ application has the apocryphal books of the RSV. Interesting read, but keep in mind 2nd Esdras is not inspired Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back