B
benjoy07
Guest
I am Catholic. Can I baptize a newborn even if the child’s parents are not Catholic?
If the child is in any danger of death, then yes. Danger of death doesn’t mean certainty of death, but for example a child would go into surgery or maybe you’re in a city in a middle of a war.I am Catholic. Can I baptize a newborn even if the child’s parents are not Catholic?
The short answer is NO.I am Catholic. Can I baptize a newborn even if the child’s parents are not Catholic?
Agreed.The short answer is NO.
Not quite. A deacon is not a priest, but still counts as an ordinary minister of baptism; and baptism against the wishes of the parents is permitted in the case of the danger of death, see the excerpt above.Baptising by someone who is not a priest is only allowed in cases of imminent death of the unbaptised and even then cannot be done if it is known the unbaptised did not or would not wish it or if its against the wishes of the parents of a minor.
You are right. I pressed too quickly and went in to edit but you beat me to it. In fact any infant in danger of death, whether the parents are Catholic or not, can be baptised even against the parents wishes.Agreed.
Not quite. A deacon is not a priest, but still counts as an ordinary minister of baptism; and baptism against the wishes of the parents is permitted in the case of the danger of death, see the excerpt above.
Canon law only applies to Catholics, however. And even an atheist can validly baptize providing he or she uses the correct formula.You are right. I pressed too quickly and went in to edit but you beat me to it. In fact any infant in danger of death, whether the parents are Catholic or not, can be baptised even against the parents wishes.
Can. 868 §1 For an infant to be baptised lawfully it is required:
The atheist must use water and baptize with the intention of what the Church teaches. This is found in the CCC 1256.And even an atheist can validly baptize providing he or she uses the correct formula.
Yes, but I don’t know if Protestants necessarily follow what the Church teaches in the CCC. Their baptisms appear to be valid as well.The atheist must use water and baptize with the intention of what the Church teaches. This is found in the CCC 1256.
You’ll have to take that up with the author of paragraph 1256 in the CCC.Yes, but I don’t know if Protestants necessarily follow what the Church teaches in the CCC. Their baptisms appear to be valid as well.
The Catholic Church doesn’t recognize all protestant baptisms. Only those that meet our criteria of form and basic intention.Yes, but I don’t know if Protestants necessarily follow what the Church teaches in the CCC. Their baptisms appear to be valid as well.