Apologetics books list

• Thread starter Thread starter Dryfly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dryfly

I’m seeking recommendations for the best catholic apologetics books.

Is there a specific apologetics topic you’re interested in, or just something general?

Catholics and Fundamentalists by Martin Pable is a classic apologetics book that speaks to many fundamentalist Protestant objections.

In general, I’d say you’d get a lot apologetics-wise by learning basic Catholic theology and history, even if the book isn’t an “apologetics” book. Theology and Sanity (or the more beginner Theology For Beginners) by Frank Sheed is a good starter for theology.

General information which is somewhat easy to read. Not at an advanced level. I looked at Peter Kreedt, but that looks intermediate.

I would start with the Bible and the Catechism. I don’t think you can really work on apologetics - explaining the Faith, until you know what your Faith is. Bible Basics for Catholics by John Bergsma is an good introduction to the Bible.

Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft is always a great place to start!

I’m currently reading the Bible through from beginning to end. Currently at Proverbs. Taking notes and learning something daily. What a fantastic journey!

Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating
AH! This is the book I meant to recommend. Not the first one I mentioned. For the life of me I couldn’t remember the author, only the general idea of the title, and I kept searching for title matches on Google and didn’t see this.

Keating’s book is great and deals with apologetics for fundamentalist protestant objections.

Really fast and easy to read, and definitely beginner-level explanations (which doesn’t make it less than useful or “less good”) - the starting point I’d recommend to anyone, Catholic, Protestant or whatever:

Why We’re Catholic by Trent Horn. The ebook version is less $ than a coffee, I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back