I didn’t realize how much that other Catholics are so against a lot of the Church’s teaching and traditions. It seems like speaking to other Catholics is much harder than Protestants because they are in the same faith.
Is there any good resources and tips on how to talk to other Catholics on staying in line with the real teaching of the Church and not to pick or choose, modernize or even make up their own teaching? It seems a lot harder.
How do I try to get them back and not offend or sound too preachy?
I don’t know if it’s really any harder. When speaking to a protestant who is convinced he already understands the Catholic faith, it’s hard to clear up misunderstandings. A similar problem exists when trying to reach out to other Catholics who think they already know Catholicism espcially if they think rejecting Church teachings is an acceptable way to practice Catholicism. Sadly, sometimes it seems the more so-called “Catholic education” they have, the harder it is to break through if teachers in authority misrepresented the faith.
What helped me personally was growing in my prayer life and Bible knowledge. Some of my growth happened when I was away from the Church–and I know that I had family members praying for me and offering up suffering at that time. Pray for them. Encourage them to grow in their prayer life and to meditate on scripture. Discussions and encouragement about prayer is usually fairly non-confrontational with other Catholics, yet as we pray God moves people where He wants us to be. Encourage them to pray and to be open to God’s will.
If they heard the faith mis-representing by authority figures, they probably aren’t going to respond when hearing the real Church teachings from a family member. I think that many times what the average dissenting Catholic needs is a Catholic
authority re-teaching them the Catholic faith. Sacraments of family members, such as First Communions, baptism, weddings, etc. provide good opportunities, especially if the priest who performs the ceremony provides some solid commentary on the faith. (We once asked a specific priest we knew, told him of some family dynamics and he did an amazing job of teaching the faith during the ceremony.) Otherwise, if any good, solid Catholic speakers visit your area, invite your family/friends to go with you. Father Corapi gives excellent talks, and you can also buy some of his talks on tapes. Also, make sure they are aware of Catholic media such as EWTN and Relevant Radio–those are excellent ways God reaches Catholics in some places.
As far as books for you, I recommend Search and Rescue by Patrick Madrid and How *Not *to Share Your Faith. Catholic Answers sells both. They offer great advice on what to do–and mistakes to avoid–when trying to share your faith with others.
Above all, remember the importance of charity. Speak the truth in love.
