Apostles Creed "He descended into hell..."

• Thread starter Thread starter FuzzyBunny116
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FuzzyBunny116

In the Apostles Creed, where do we get the part “He descended into hell…” I’ve never heard it until today, reading it on a few cards on praying the Hail Mary. Does it have something to do with needing to go to Hell to redeem us? I’m a bit clueless here…

We get that phrase He descended into hell from the Scriptures. What you probably find confusing is the word hell. It doesn’t mean a place of damnation, but sheol - the abode of the dead. When Christ died he descended into sheol to preach to the souls that were held captive there and were awaiting the gates of heaven to be open to them. Hope that helps.

40.png
deaconswife:
We get that phrase He descended into hell from the Scriptures. What you probably find confusing is the word hell. It doesn’t mean a place of damnation, but sheol - the abode of the dead. When Christ died he descended into sheol to preach to the souls that were held captive there and were awaiting the gates of heaven to be open to them. Hope that helps.
probably more correctly pronounced “Shuweee” 😃 It wasn’t the hell of the damned…

…sorry, i couldn’t resist…👍

I used to be confused about that line too, and while I’m no scholar, this is how I understand it.

The words ascend and descend show that Jesus was in control of where he was going. For example, he ascended into heaven - doing so of his own power, whereas Mary was assumed into heaven - by God’s power, not her own.

So for him to descend into hell - or as I have seen it recently changed to ‘he descended to the dead’ - means he did so of his own actions.

Further - up until his resurrection - was anyone able to get to heaven? While I don’t know the answer to that, it would seem that he went to those who had died up until his own death, told them the gospel, and those who believed joined him in heaven.

Anyone else have this understanding, or am I way off? Almost sounds like something that would be on the apologetics board - I’ll look there too.

=)
Fiz

40.png
FuzzyBunny116:
In the Apostles Creed, where do we get the part “He descended into hell…” I’ve never heard it until today, reading it on a few cards on praying the Hail Mary. Does it have something to do with** needing to go to Hell to redeem us? **I’m a bit clueless here…
I believe it does.
and I prefer the old way of committing to the Apostle’s Creed where it says …“He descended into hell”…
I believe because these scriptures expand our faith;
Lev.16:20-22…Scape-goat into the wilderness
Isa.53:6 …Our guilt was laid upon him
Matt.4:1-11 …Led into the desert to be tempted by the devil
Matt.27:50-53 …In death He descended into hell
Luke 11:21-22 …into satan’s court-yard
Gal.3:13 …Himself becoming a curse for us
Heb.2:14,15 …By His death , He robs the devil of his power
Rev.5:6-9 …By your blood you purchased for God men of every race and tongue and of every people and nation.

He deserves the very best worship we can offer Him

gusano

40.png
Fizendell:
I used to be confused about that line too, and while I’m no scholar, this is how I understand it.

The words ascend and descend show that Jesus was in control of where he was going. For example, he ascended into heaven - doing so of his own power, whereas Mary was assumed into heaven - by God’s power, not her own.

So for him to descend into hell - or as I have seen it recently changed to ‘he descended to the dead’ - means he did so of his own actions.
Well said Fizendell! 👍
Further - up until his resurrection - was anyone able to get to heaven?
Nope. No one was allowed entrance into heaven previous to Jesus. The resided in Sheol, aka Abraham’s Bosom, aka Limbo of the Fathers. A quick look-up in the Catholic Encyclopedia on any of these terms will yield a plethora of information and citations for apologetics.
While I don’t know the answer to that, it would seem that he went to those who had died up until his own death, told them the gospel, and those who believed joined him in heaven.
Anyone else have this understanding, or am I way off? Almost sounds like something that would be on the apologetics board - I’ll look there too.
Great explaination! 👍

Read 1st Peter 3: 19. It says Jesuss preached the Good News to the souls in prison.

Preached to souls - means He preached to people who have died.

Where were they? In the old days of Judaism there were several words for the abode of the dead. Here the souls were waiting for Jesus to come to earth and to be crusified to pay for their sins so theey could enter heaven.

Jesus went to Purgaatory to tell the soulss they could now enter heaven.

40.png
Exporter:
Read 1st Peter 3: 19. It says Jesuss preached the Good News to the souls in prison.

Preached to souls - means He preached to people who have died.

Where were they? In the old days of Judaism there were several words for the abode of the dead. Here the souls were waiting for Jesus to come to earth and to be crusified to pay for their sins so theey could enter heaven.

Jesus went to Purgaatory to tell the soulss they could now enter heaven.
I would point out that Jesus did not go to purgatory to preach. He went to Limbo

In the New Testament, Christ refers by various names and figures to the place or state which Catholic tradition has agreed to call the limbus patrum. In Matt. 8:11, it is spoken of under the figure of a banquet “with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of Heaven” (cf. Luke 8:29; 14:15), and in Matt. 25:10 under the figure of a marriage feast to which the prudent virgins are admitted, while in the parable of Lazarus and Dives it is called “Abraham’s bosom” (Luke 16:22) and in Christ’s words to the penitent thief on Calvary the name paradise is used (Luke 23:43). St. Paul teaches (Eph. 4:9) that before ascending into Heaven Christ “also descended first into the lower parts of the earth,” and St. Peter still more explicitly teaches that “being put to death indeed, in the flesh, but enlivened in the spirit,” Christ went and “preached to those souls that were in prison, which had been some time incredulous, when they waited for the patience of God in the days of Noah” (I Pet 3:18-20).

It is principally on the strength of these Scriptural texts, harmonized with the general doctrine of the Fall and Redemption of mankind, that Catholic tradition has defended the existence of the limbus patrum as a temporary state or place of happiness distinct from Purgatory. As a result of the Fall, Heaven was closed against men. Actual possession of the beatific vision was postponed, even for those already purified from sin, until the Redemption should have been historically completed by Christ’s visible ascendancy into Heaven. Consequently, the just who had lived under the Old Dispensation, and who, either at death or after a course of purgatorial discipline, had attained the perfect holiness required for entrance into glory, were obliged to await the coming of the Incarnate Son of God and the full accomplishment of His visible earthly mission. Meanwhile they were “in prison,” as St. Peter says; but, as Christ’s own words to the penitent thief and in the parable of Lazarus clearly imply, their condition was one of happiness, notwithstanding the postponement of the higher bliss to which they looked forward. And this, substantially, is all that Catholic tradition teaches regarding the limbus patrum.

Catholic Encyclopedia- Limbo

40.png
Shiann:
I would point out that Jesus did not go to purgatory to preach. He went to Limbo

In the New Testament, Christ refers by various names and figures to the place or state which Catholic tradition has agreed to call the limbus patrum. In Matt. 8:11, it is spoken of under the figure of a banquet “with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of Heaven” (cf. Luke 8:29; 14:15), and in Matt. 25:10 under the figure of a marriage feast to which the prudent virgins are admitted, while in the parable of Lazarus and Dives it is called “Abraham’s bosom” (Luke 16:22) and in Christ’s words to the penitent thief on Calvary the name paradise is used (Luke 23:43). St. Paul teaches (Eph. 4:9) that before ascending into Heaven Christ “also descended first into the lower parts of the earth,” and St. Peter still more explicitly teaches that “being put to death indeed, in the flesh, but enlivened in the spirit,” Christ went and “preached to those souls that were in prison, which had been some time incredulous, when they waited for the patience of God in the days of Noah” (I Pet 3:18-20).

It is principally on the strength of these Scriptural texts, harmonized with the general doctrine of the Fall and Redemption of mankind, that Catholic tradition has defended the existence of the limbus patrum as a temporary state or place of happiness distinct from Purgatory. As a result of the Fall, Heaven was closed against men. Actual possession of the beatific vision was postponed, even for those already purified from sin, until the Redemption should have been historically completed by Christ’s visible ascendancy into Heaven. Consequently, the just who had lived under the Old Dispensation, and who, either at death or after a course of purgatorial discipline, had attained the perfect holiness required for entrance into glory, were obliged to await the coming of the Incarnate Son of God and the full accomplishment of His visible earthly mission. Meanwhile they were “in prison,” as St. Peter says; but, as Christ’s own words to the penitent thief and in the parable of Lazarus clearly imply, their condition was one of happiness, notwithstanding the postponement of the higher bliss to which they looked forward. And this, substantially, is all that Catholic tradition teaches regarding the limbus patrum.

Catholic Encyclopedia- Limbo
Here are (3) scriptures that I believe indicates "He descended into hell…"
Luke 11:21,22… “in his(the devil’s) court yard…He comes and overpowers him.”
Galatians 3: 13… “Christ…became a curse for us…”
Heb.2:14… “By his death …Christ robbed the devil of his power …to keep us , through fear, as his slaves our whole life long.”

Jesus Christ, gentle and humble of heart, fought and won the mother of all battles…in our enemy’s own territory, in his own living room as a matter of fact !
He deserves our complete loyalty …as in Psalm 116:12-19

gusano

We can say anyplace one’s spirit resides that is not in the presence of God could be called hell.

So, heaven being closed before the passion, all souls were in hell. Whereas a part of hell is for those who suffer eternal damnation, another part (purgatory) is for those who are being cleansed, and another part, the fringe of hell are in limbo. Limbo means the ‘fringe’.

So Jesus’ descent into hell means he went to the dead who were purified and ready to enter heaven
  1. when they knew the Good News and
  2. when the gates were opened.
Limbo is something the church has never defined only speculated on. I’ve never heard purgatory described as a part of hell, but with my definition, is would fit the bill.

40.png
Evan:
We can say anyplace one’s spirit resides that is not in the presence of God could be called hell.

So, heaven being closed before the passion, all souls were in hell. Whereas a part of hell is for those who suffer eternal damnation, another part (purgatory) is for those who are being cleansed, and another part, the fringe of hell are in limbo. Limbo means the ‘fringe’.

So Jesus’ descent into hell means he went to the dead who were purified and ready to enter heaven
  1. when they knew the Good News and
  2. when the gates were opened.
Limbo is something the church has never defined only speculated on. I’ve never heard purgatory described as a part of hell, but with my definition, is would fit the bill.
Where do you believe Jesus went when he overpowered satan ?
Where do you believe He went when He became a curse for us ?
Where do you believe He went when He robbed the devil of his power ?
Where do you believe He went …to carry away our sins ?

Just speculating…
God bless

gusano

Hi Fizendell, I think I may have some answers for you.
40.png
Fizendell:

True! No need to go further here. 🙂
Further - up until his resurrection - was anyone able to get to heaven?
Actually, the answer to this is no, with some exceptions.

Here is the Gospel of Luke,

Chapter 16:
*19 **“There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. **20 **And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, **21 **who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man’s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. **22 **When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, **23 **and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. **24 **And he cried out, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.’ **25 **Abraham replied, ‘My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented. **26 **Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.’ **27 **He said, ‘Then I beg you, father, send him to my father’s house, **28 **for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.’ **29 **But Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.’ **30 **He said, ‘Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ **31 **Then Abraham said, ‘If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.’” *

This place that is seperate from the place of torment is called the Bosom of Abraham (vs. 22). Jesus had not redeemed sin yet, so this is where people in the grace of God went after earthly death. So here they waited for the time of resurrection.
While I don’t know the answer to that, it would seem that he went to those who had died up until his own death, told them the gospel, and those who believed joined him in heaven.
Here is the 1st letter of Peter:

*18 **For Christ also suffered or sins once, the righteous for the sake of the unrighteous, that he might lead you to God. Put to death in the flesh, he was brought to life in the spirit. **19 **In it he also went to preach to the spirits in prison, **20 **who had once been disobedient while God patiently waited in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water. **21 **This prefigured baptism, which saves you now. It is not a removal of dirt from the body but an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, **22 *who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to him.

This whole passage confirms your statement, which is quoted above. Notice the exceptions that I mentioned are also mentioned in vs. 20. Notice also that people had been here “from the time of Noah” in vs. 20. So, your assumptions are correct. People did not go to heaven until Jesus had redeemed them, He taught them the gospel in “the bosom of Abraham”, also seen here in vs. 19 as “spirits in prison”, and they were able to enter heaven. People in Hell are condemned, so He did not preach to them.

I hope this answers your questions!
Subrosa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back