Apostolates

• Thread starter Thread starter Augustine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augustine

I’m not particularly a “people person”, yet I have the will to get involved in my parish activities, as if paying back for my talents.

As a geek, I volunteer at the church keeping the computers running and, as an immigrant, I also volunteer in the Immigrants Outreach apostolate in the parish.

The technology ministry is just that, more about keeping the technology from breaking rather than ministering to my neighbors. I have great difficulty in taking active part in the outreach ministry too.

I’m more oriented towards a scholatic style, but am not much instructed in the Faith. Besides, I’m afraid that if study groups at the parish aren’t orthodox, they’d be a total waste of time.

If others have had similar experiences, how did you reconcile their charisms (or lack of them as in my case) in ministries or not?

God bless.

We are called to do what we can. You, keeping the computers running is important! Business is run on computers these days. Do not underestimate yourself or your talent my friend. Yes, you are behind the scenes but it’s important that you are helping out.
Have you gone to a study group? If not, it would help before you judge it. If you go and it doesn’t jive with you, then don’t go. If it’s totally your bag but you feel intimidated then just sit quietly, listen, learn and smile alot. 😃 Oh, and bring snacks! 😃

[If others have had similar experiences, how did you reconcile their charisms (or lack of them as in my case) in ministries or not?]

I have not. I am a cantor at church. Just remember that there are those that are called to be out there doing the up front work and then those that do the behind the sceens work. We wouldn’t want to say that the cloistered nuns and monks aren’t doing their job right?

Peace to you,
Jen*

Keeping technology from breaking can be a valuable personal apostolate. I work on a helpdesk for an ISP. In the last almost 5 years, I have worked on 3 halpdesks. So far, I have received 6 marriage proposals, I have been offered 8 kids, not including 3 firstborns, and there are at least two kids running around the continent with my first name (no, it isn’t Dunmoose)!

But I also am a lector at my church.

*Have you gone to a study group? If not, it would help before you judge it. If you go and it doesn’t jive with you, then don’t go.
I actually haven’t, mostly because our pastor has started an “RCIA for Catholics”, which’s 100% orthodox, of course. But you’re right, I should at least give the bible study group a try before prejudging it.

*We wouldn’t want to say that the cloistered nuns and monks aren’t doing their job right?
You know, sometimes I have the impression that the Church doesn’t value them as much anymore. Of course, the need for priests is enormous, but the spirituality developed by brothers and nuns shouldn’t be forgot.

Thanks for the kinds words of encouragement.

God bless.

A good Spiritual Director may help you to look deep within yourself and you might be surprised at the gifts that God has given you.

God bless,
Deacon Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back