Appearances Are Deceiving

• Thread starter Thread starter coralewisjr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

coralewisjr

Most – if not all – of you have heard the expression, “appearances can be deceiving.” If you think about it, you’ll realize that appearances ARE deceiving. Think about it. 2,000 years ago, God came to earth as a man named Jesus Christ. He wasn’t rich. He didn’t have a TV or car (I know those didn’t exist back then but that’s just to help you imagine). He didn’t have a bank account and He didn’t have phone or Internet. He wandered around, preaching the Good News and bringing people to Himself. He didn’t have a home to keep clean so he probably didn’t bother with buying even basic necessities. There was no running water, microwaves, or ovens. He was happy to be around everyone, no matter what they looked like or how hard they were to be around (tax collectors, sinners, those possessed by demons, etc.).

Then there was John the Baptist. “4Now John himself had (I)a garment of camel’s hair and a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey.” (Matthew 3:4) If I came across a man dressed like that and eating like that, I hope that I wouldn’t have a really weird reaction! What do you do when you see homeless people who haven’t showered in weeks and who aren’t groomed as well as you are? Do you turn away in disgust or do you pray for them and (if you can afford to) offer them food and a kind word? Do you ever act as Blessed Mother Teresa did, begging for food and giving what she didn’t eat to those who needed it more? How do you react when you see mentally challenged children or children with birth defects? I was an altar server once with a retarded boy. He was very pious and it was frustrating when he didn’t do what he was supposed to but that was God’s way of teaching me patience, understanding and compassion. God bless you!

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

Your posts reminds of the importance to remember that we are all brothers and sisters. We’re all part of one family, and in helping one member of our family, we help the entire unit. The fruits of our actions are not always clear to our eyes or quickly observed, but everytime we say yes to God by helping a member of his family, we are changing the world.

for eternity:
Your posts reminds of the importance to remember that we are all brothers and sisters. We’re all part of one family, and in helping one member of our family, we help the entire unit. The fruits of our actions are not always clear to our eyes or quickly observed, but everytime we say yes to God by helping a member of his family, we are changing the world.
I’m glad that it reminded you of that fact. I need help with this sometimes. When I’m trying to nap during the day and I hear cars driving by with really loud music, I forget to pray for the people in the car instead of being irked at them. When I see people who swear a lot, people who are drunk (there’s a tenant in my apartment building who has parties sometimes), etc., it’s hard for me to remember to pray for them. I’m not going to stick around since I’m pregnant and the partiers smoke (I’m pregnant and I hate cigarette smoke), but they do need prayers and it’s the least that I can do.

How do you react when you see scantily clad women? I usually don’t think charitably about them as they give women a bad reputation. Immodest people (and unchaste people) need lots of prayers, too.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

40.png
coralewisjr:
I’m glad that it reminded you of that fact. I need help with this sometimes. When I’m trying to nap during the day and I hear cars driving by with really loud music, I forget to pray for the people in the car instead of being irked at them. When I see people who swear a lot, people who are drunk (there’s a tenant in my apartment building who has parties sometimes), etc., it’s hard for me to remember to pray for them. I’m not going to stick around since I’m pregnant and the partiers smoke (I’m pregnant and I hate cigarette smoke), but they do need prayers and it’s the least that I can do.

How do you react when you see scantily clad women? I usually don’t think charitably about them as they give women a bad reputation. Immodest people (and unchaste people) need lots of prayers, too.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne
I don’t want to seem like I am always able to be charitable, and forgiving. I catch myself often still. Just yesterday I dealt with this issue of forgiving. A person very close to me was treating me very unjustly, and just being down right mean. I’ve given this person so many chances and forgiven them so many times it seemed to me that yesterday was the last straw. I was so hurt, that I didn’t want to ever speak to her again. I told my husband this. The rest of the day I just felt awful, and then before I went to bed I prayed the rosary and asked for help in dealing with this situation. I was almost instantly reminded of fathers homily that day of forgiveness. I had listened, but hoped for more at the time because I already knew how important it was to forgive others- but now I was seeing it in a whole new light. I knew how important it was, but it seemed when it got to a personal level I ignored that fact. After realizing this, and forgiving I felt a huge weight lifted off of me and I didn’t feel so awful or depressed any more.

You asked about reactions from seeing women dressed innappropriately… I used to not think anything about it. I would usually just compare and feel inadaquate. Lately however, I’ve rethought the whole dressing issue, and although I try not to think less of them, I do realize that that is not how God wants us to display our bodies. I am now also more careful of clothes I buy and things I wear in certain places. I never used to dress scantily, but I think there were times when I was younger that I purposely wore things to be noticed.

I think that pregnant (since I’ve been there 3 times) have every right to be bothered about smoking, and interrupted sleep! You’re in a whole different catagory than the rest of us. Those are two very important things for you and your baby.

for eternity:
I think that pregnant (since I’ve been there 3 times) have every right to be bothered about smoking, and interrupted sleep! You’re in a whole different catagory than the rest of us. Those are two very important things for you and your baby.
Try telling that to my Mom! She wanted DH and I to visit her for Mother’s Day. At first, I wanted to, too. Then I remembered that my parents’ house is very noisy (usually at least one TV on during the day and into the night), Dad and my brothers swear, and Mom smokes. She smokes outside but when she comes in she still smells. We ended up staying home and we were blessed with the opportunity to see the neat May Crowning at church. Please pray for my family. I hope that they swear less then they’re around Baby (after he or she is born) and I really hope that my parents’ marriage improves…and of course I hope that Mom stops smoking and drinking! God bless you all.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

This is from a prayer card. I think it applies to this thread’s topic.

Oh, God…
Oh, God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work, help me
to remember the jobless;
When I have a warm home,
help me to remember the homeless;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer;
And remembering, help me
to destroy my complacency
and bestir my compassion.
Make me concerned enough
to help, by word and deed,
those who cry out
for what we take for granted.

“Jesus said to His disciples: `My heart is
moved with pity for the crowd…’ He took
seven loaves and a few small fish, blessed
them and distributed them. About 4,000
people ate their full.” - Mark 8:2-9

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

40.png
coralewisjr:
Most – if not all – of you have heard the expression, “appearances can be deceiving.” If you think about it, you’ll realize that appearances ARE deceiving.
Oh, come on. Appearances are NOT deceiving. It just LOOKS that way. :rolleyes:

So sorry you didn’ t see your mother on mother’s day and that you find your whole family so annoying…I’m sure Mary was thrilled you got to the May crowning…but showed no love or tolerance for your own mother…blessings

40.png
sconea:
So sorry you didn’ t see your mother on mother’s day and that you find your whole family so annoying…I’m sure Mary was thrilled you got to the May crowning…but showed no love or tolerance for your own mother…blessings
I love Mom a lot and pray for her every day. If I don’t hear from her in two days or so and she’s not mad at me for something (and DH and I aren’t mad at her), I email her and ask her how she’s doing. She’s very busy. Please don’t accuse me of showing no love toward Mom. DH and I stayed home instead of visiting because I can’t stand cigarette smoke and Mom smokes now. I hope you agree that health reasons can prevent people from seeing family members. God bless you!

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

40.png
coralewisjr:
I love Mom a lot and pray for her every day. If I don’t hear from her in two days or so and she’s not mad at me for something (and DH and I aren’t mad at her), I email her and ask her how she’s doing. She’s very busy. Please don’t accuse me of showing no love toward Mom. DH and I stayed home instead of visiting because I can’t stand cigarette smoke and Mom smokes now. I hope you agree that health reasons can prevent people from seeing family members. God bless you!

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne
My dear Corinne…so very sorry I misunderstood your first post. I thought the whole situation at your parents was offensive to you, I didn’t realize it was a ‘health issue’. Yes I can certainly understand why you wouldn’t want to risk your health even on Mother’s day and I’m sure your own mother and our dear Blessed Mother understand that too! Keep up those prayers for you mom.
God bless you too.

40.png
sconea:
My dear Corinne…so very sorry I misunderstood your first post. I thought the whole situation at your parents was offensive to you, I didn’t realize it was a ‘health issue’. Yes I can certainly understand why you wouldn’t want to risk your health even on Mother’s day and I’m sure your own mother and our dear Blessed Mother understand that too! Keep up those prayers for you mom.
God bless you too.
I forgive you. Their swearing and her smoking does offend me but I love them. Please pray that I will learn to deal with the facts of life and accept the things I can’t change no matter how hard I try.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

So true! At mass on Suday in front of me was a Dad & his teenage daughter. She was reading a book though the ENTIRE mass - flipping the pages, totally NOT paying attention. People (me included) were noticing & giving the Dad looks like, “Shame on you! Don’t you see that your daughter has her nose in some stupid book??” When it came time for the sign of peace she jumped up, put her book down & shook everyone’s hand. It was then that we realized she had Down’s Syndrome.

Shame on us.

40.png
coralewisjr:
How do you react when you see mentally challenged children or children with birth defects?
As the mother of a beautiful little two-year-old girl who was brain-injured at birth, I have to say I’ve never reacted the way I do now. My daughter, Hope, doesn’t speak yet. She’s beginning to get funny looks from strangers who come up and talk to her, and I know this may continue for years to come … possibly for the rest of her life. But because I am her mother I know that she has a very active thought life. She understands much of what I say to her every day here at home, and she responds appropriately to most social and emotional stimuli. But a stranger, seeing her for only a few minutes at a time, would never know that beneath this quiet little facade is a strong will, a keen mind, and a fighting spirit!

Appearnces truly are deceptive. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back