F
Fidelis
Guest
I would say it was because of two reasons.Why did Jesus’ followers have such a hard time recognizing him after the Resurrection?
TIA
The first is because, after his resurrection, Jesus was in a risen glorified state. He was the same Jesus, but somehow different. At the Transfiguration, you remember. Jesus gave three of his disciples a glimpse of the glory he always had, but was kept veiled by his human flesh.
One place that calls this to mind for me was the scene in the beginning of the Book of Revelation. John sees a vision of a person who, as described, doesn’t sound like a description of Jesus–but it is:
The second reason is because, for his own reasons which we may speculate on, Jesus kept their eyes from recognizing who he was, just like he did on the road to Emmaus:Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and when I turned, I saw seven gold lampstands and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, wearing an ankle-length robe, with a gold sash around his chest. The hair of his head was as white as white wool or as snow, and his eyes were like a fiery flame. His feet were like polished brass refined in a furnace,and his voice was like the sound of rushing water. In his right hand he held seven stars. A sharp two-edged sword came out of his mouth, and his face shone like the sun at its brightest. When I caught sight of him, I fell down at his feet as though dead. He touched me with his right hand and said, "Do not be afraid. I am the first and the last, the one who lives. Once I was dead, but now I am alive forever and ever. I hold the keys to death and the netherworld. (Revelation 12-18)
Now that very day two of them were going to a village seven miles from Jerusalem called Emmaus, and they were conversing about all the things that had occurred. And it happened that while they were conversing and debating, Jesus himself drew near and walked with them, but their eyes were prevented from recognizing him. (Luke 24:13-16)