Aquinas and the use of violence in the military and protecting ones family

• Thread starter Thread starter seashell1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seashell1

Although I can’t say exactly, I believe St Thomas went into some detail about joining the military and defending one’s family even if it meant “breaking” the 6th. commandment, and to what extent you can, it’s a duty and responsibility. I ask this because I just got beat up on social media ( FB ) over this. How can one be for God and be a Secondment Amendment person or join the military? Your Catholic (name removed by moderator)ut would be appreciated.

I assume you meant 5th commandment. Killing in a just war is not necessarily sinful. Therefore it doesn’t break it. Justified self defense is also not necessarily sinful. You don’t have a duty to defend with violence though, one can be a pacifist, and the Church advises governments to make room for them.

"The Sixth Commandment of the Ten Commandments could refer to: “Thou shalt not kill”. Or is that wrong?

Last edited:
Although I can’t say exactly, I believe St Thomas went into some detail about joining the military and defending one’s family even if it meant “breaking” the 6th. commandment, and to what extent you can, it’s a duty and responsibility. I ask this because I just got beat up on social media ( FB ) over this. How can one be for God and be a Secondment Amendment person or join the military? Your Catholic (name removed by moderator)ut would be appreciated.
See his “Summa Theologiae”, Second Part of the Second Part, question 40 (Summa Theologica - concerning war) and question 64 (Summa Theologica - concerning murder).
"The Sixth Commandment of the Ten Commandments could refer to: “Thou shalt not kill”. Or is that wrong?
Protestants and Catholics group (and number) commandments in a different way.

It does not make much difference in this case.

If someone breaks into my house and threatens my family, when I confront them if they don’t get smart and decide to leave, I will shoot them, if they die, I have not committed murder. If they get smart and leave, I will not chase them down and murder them.

By the same token, when I was in the Army, if I called in artillery, or shot someone during combat, that is not murder. If opposing forces were captured and someone told me to shoot them after they were disarmed, that would be murder, and I would not do such a thing.

There is a distinction between killing and murder. Murder is what we are forbidden from doing.

It’s key to realize the foundation for the 6th commandment:
Human beings are made in the image of God and human life is sacred.
that is why “thou shalt not kill” is not taken as an absolute negative. The negative always points to the Good.

so if someone’s life is imperiled by an aggressor, defending them appropriately is legitimate due to the value of human life.

There is nothing sinful about supporting second amendment or owning an arsenal of guns. Guns are not inherently sinful, just as alcohol is not inherently sinful. It is what one does with those things. Remember, God gives us free will. Guns actually are a means of protection against tyranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back