Are all priestly blessings the same?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sir_Knight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sir_Knight

Was away on vacation last week – which is why I wasn’t online (*did anyone miss me? 🙂 *) and we had the opportunity to stop at a national shrine. The place had a gift shop where we purchased various religious articles which I had blessed by a priest that was there. He gave a very nice blessing – * " … May Almighty God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, bless these religious articles and shower graces upon all that devoutly use them … " * and sprinkled holy water on the objects that I purchased.

As is always the case with my family, after we were all done, my wife and daughter decided to purchase a few other items. After paying for them, I walked up to a different priest asking him to bless the item. He didn’t say anything but just made the sign of the cross with his hand over the items, smiled and walked away. No Holy Water. No ‘words of blessing’. Etc.

My question: did the first batch receive MORE of a blessing than the other? Are the two blessings equal? Was the second batch even ‘blessed’ since no words were spoken nor any holy water used? Or, was the sign of the cross sufficient?

Sir Knight…my dear friend…great to see you again. I am not a theologian or an expert on this subject, but I am inclined to say that the blessings are equal. I am sure the priest was most likely saying the words silently in his head as he blessed your items…I do like it when they use Holy Water though 🙂 MSGR Bergreen used Holy Water when he blessed my scapular at my enrollment. I think they are equal…but I could be wrong. 🙂 Take care and God Bless, Sonny
Sir Knight:
Was away on vacation last week – which is why I wasn’t online (*did anyone miss me? 🙂 *) and we had the opportunity to stop at a national shrine. The place had a gift shop where we purchased various religious articles which I had blessed by a priest that was there. He gave a very nice blessing – *" … May Almighty God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, bless these religious articles and shower graces upon all that devoutly use them … " *and sprinkled holy water on the objects that I purchased.

As is always the case with my family, after we were all done, my wife and daughter decided to purchase a few other items. After paying for them, I walked up to a different priest asking him to bless the item. He didn’t say anything but just made the sign of the cross with his hand over the items, smiled and walked away. No Holy Water. No ‘words of blessing’. Etc.

My question: did the first batch receive MORE of a blessing than the other? Are the two blessings equal? Was the second batch even ‘blessed’ since no words were spoken nor any holy water used? Or, was the sign of the cross sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back