Are Americans a religious people?

• Thread starter Thread starter Pentecost2005
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excerpt from the essay I linked:

“Mr. Modern American, like Mary, has given his “yes” to the deity. Oh, it’s not that old guy with the white beard on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel! That was OK in its time, but this is the 21st century, for Pete’s sake! People were superstitious in those days; today people are practical, rational, down-to-earth realists who recognize the simple logic of bending one’s knee to one’s fellow man if he’s elected or appointed.”

Being a foreigner I found American culture religion-friendly. People find it normal and even expects that someone goes to church weekly. It’s amazing to see the Sunday traffic around churches of all denominations, a total novelty to me, even though I come from the most Catholic country in the world, Brazil.

In America, people debate if God should be mentioned in the Pledge of Alegiance, yet in my home country His Holy Name is swept under the carpet as quickly as one can say It.

This happens perhaps all over the world in part because that’s what people thing that happens in the developed world. At least that’s what they see through the only telescope into the developed world, Holywood. Enough said.

:blessyou:

For the most part, Americans are only religious in the sense of the Pharisees.

Well I say yes, far more so that is the case in most Western countries, and statistics bear that out. The percentage of Americans saying they believe in God, and go to church is relatively high (can’t quote figures right now, but you know that anyway)
It is seen as normal to go to church, and OK to talk about God quite naturally, as far as I can judge from this distance, and never having visited the US.
This is not the norm in, shall we say, post-Christian countries, of which mine is one, perhaps!:o.

However, I do not like to see these same countries written off as totally hopeless and morally bankrupt, simply because, as Christians we shouldn’t be too arrogant and judgemental.
Things aren’t entirely black and white, IMO., and there are praiseworthy things happening in most Western societies that do not offend God, such as good welfare programmes and social services.
Anyway, thank God that Americans are a religious people, I say!👍

Respect the western, americans are religious, respect third world no.

As a group I would have to say no. There are of course many very religious Americans. But as a group no.:oSadly, too many Americans as a group, tend to go with the “politically correct view”.

Depends on what you consider reflections of religion. More Americans may go to Chruch on average than in other countires, but I don’t think this makes them religious. Being religious is more than just showing up to a house of worship once week. It requires putting into practice the messages that Jesus taught.

Early histroians talked about hwo they could tell when a country converted to Christianity becuase it was more peaceful. People refused to fight for the ROman Empire if they thought wars were only for conqeust, becuase they foudn the idea morally abhorrent. Communities that converted to Christianity were marked by new interest in protecting vulnerable groups such as widows and children.

We have so much more crime and poverty in this country, than other countries with the same income levels and access to education. There is not developed country that I feel less safe in than my own (the US). I think this situation speaks volume about the state of religion for Americans.

The abortion rate is much higher here than it is in other countries which also have legalized abortion. The late Pope John Paul II, mentioned that to combat abortion, we must not only think in terms of leaglity, but in terms of options available for mother who want to keep their children. That we must fight to ensure that women have access to the resources mothers need. Having wroked with Birthright, I think the options we present as a society to people who have unplanned pregnancies and are in difficult situations are appalling. We don’t even have a center like Birthright (a place that helps people with unplanned pregancies who want to bring their pregnancy to full term) for the county in which I live in.

Having researched training and equipment avialable to US soliders in war, and help available to them when they recieve, I am flabbergasted at the neglect of those we send on missions we tell them that are to defend US interests, but are often morally questionable. They often recieve inadequate support while overseas, return traumatized, and the help we provide for veterans and disabled and many other groups is insufficient to meet their needs.

Medical care in this country is an extortion racket and not available for many who need it. There are so many homeless people in this country who need help with drug addictions and mental problems. There are a lot of poor people for so rich a country; our gini coefficient is higher than most developing countries. Children are victimized the most.

If Americans were truly relgious, it would reflect in the resources available for the poor, and there would be less absolute poor. I also think there would be less crime, if religion was such a big factor in American society.

As an American, I say NO, the people here are NOT religious.

You will find many people who claim to be “spiritual” but do not ascribe to any religion, rather choosing to reject any absolute authority in favor of the flavor of the month in their chosen area of interest.

You will find people snowed by feminism and rejecting any religion that does not esteem women to be equal to God. You will find people worshipping God’s creation rather than God himself, but then changing to a different belief system as the months go by, and stating that Buddhism and the ultamate path to non-existance is “religion.”

Our country is going to hell on a wide road called secular relativism and it is rooted in objectivism. People do not accept absolute truth, and even people who claim to be religious have fallen prey to the current culture and can’t see their way out of this wet paper bag.

No, the American people are not religious, although some American people are…and we are praying for everyone to open their eyes to the truth.

America has recieved many blessings from God since our country was founded, but as we continue to reject God, he will lose his patience.

I have to ask, though…is any country in the world, outside of Vatican City, truly religious. Or has the entire world chosen a path that leads only to damnation?

What are we the faithful to do other than pray?

Only when it is profitable. :confused:

Seriously, there are religious people in America. IMHO

I don’t know, in general. I’m very religious, and I’m American, so…

All in all, no. Western “civilization” is anything but…
So many people I know have their tail planted in a church pew on Sundays and by Monday have no recollection of the Homily (or sermon to the prots) and they’re back to business and secularism as usual. In this country the almighty dollar is God. Try applying for a job and saying you need Sundays off for Mass. I guarantee your phone will not ring with job offers.
That is not to say that there are no truly faith filled people in the USA. I know a gentleman who quit his job after being told he would have to begin working weekends. He refused. His weekends are for family and the worship of God. He was 54 years old and it took him 3 entire months to find other employment.
Sad comment on the American way of life.

I might have answered “no” until I started spending a lot of time on a forum where most of the people are European. There are places that are a whole lot more secular than the US.

I have heard people say, “I’m spiritual but I’m not religious.” I think that means they pray, but don’t really want to follow what they perceive as too many rules.

—KCT

40.png
KCT:
I have heard people say, “I’m spiritual but I’m not religious.” I think that means they pray, but don’t really want to follow what they perceive as too many rules.
I’ve heard this a lot, too. It comes from the “Having your cake and eating it, too” school of faith. :rolleyes:

The “I’m spiritual but I’m not religious” comment is often followed, unfortunately, by a comment that all people who do follow an “organized” religion are blind, deluded fools. :rolleyes:

Well, I don’t follow blindly, my eyes are wide open, and I still choose the Catholic Church!

(A little off-topic, but here’s a bumper sticker I saw once: “I’m a fool for Christ. Whose fool are you?” 🙂 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back