Are Catholic churches open 24/7?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rudolph
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rudolph

Guest
I am new to Catholicism so forgive my ignorance. In movies you see people stopping in Catholic churches all hours of the day to pray alone. I’ve heard Mark Wahlberg goes to pray every morning very early. I’m just wondering if this is the case in most parishes.
 
There are 24/7 Adoration chapels, but I doubt most are open all the time due to theft concerns. The chalices, after all, are gold plated.
 
No. Most Churches are not only closed but have vigilant security. Last fall, I was escorted out of st Peter’s in Rome by security after my confession ran long. Lol.
There are adoration chapels that are 24/7 but those usually have a code for people’s safety. I go once a week around 1 or 2 AM. Very peaceful.
 
Some are, very few- usually major churches or shrines. Many churches are open during the work day, then locked in the evening. Some are always locked except for Masses or other events. These are usually smaller churches that usually don’t have people around during the day to check on things.

This differs from the Protestant world, where most churches tend to be locked at all times unless there is a service going on. Protestants are less likely to see churches as a place where people go to pray throughout the week, but more of a gathering space for Sunday services. Of course, this is a generalization and oversimplification.
 
Last edited:
I’m lucky enough to live in a parish with two priests and an deacon. The local church is open 8am-6pm.
 
My church is open early morning Mass until 5 PM, but you have to use the side door by the rectory. From movies, I had the impression that there was a priest in the confessional 24/7 🙂
 
In olden times, churches of many denominations were open 24 hours a day in case anyone needed to pray in the night. Nowadays, there are more concerns about crime, and Catholic Churches are likely to be locked at night and also during the day when there is no Mass, prayer or other stuff like choir practice happening in the church. 24 hour Adoration chapels exist in some places, but they are likely to require a security code after certain hours and only regular adorers get the code.
 
It depends on location.
Some are in rural areas.
Urban areas no. You probably know why.
 
Only within the last +/- 10 years around here have churches started locking up during the 10pm-7am timeframe, and a handful are locked throughout the day because of where they’re located and lack of staff. Even among those, there are ways among parishioners in the know with legitimate reasons to gain overnight access, such as an electronic code.
 
It depends on the area and the church and more than likely the country. In very close immediate area there are two Catholic churches in close walking distance (10 in bus distance - I live in a small city so that’s why a lot - this is actually not a Catholic country so pretty good going). Anyway, one of them (the one I attend most often) is open specific hours, usually the mornings as we have a secretary who watches the cctv in the office allowing it to be open and the daily mass times vary according to a specific timetable.
The other is open all day from 8-8pm so you can just wander in and visit Jesus as you like. It is quite sweet as it is on an ordinary main shopping street and next to grocery stores etc. and you go in and its peaceful and quiet, the Blessed Sacrament is in a smaller chapel area next to the altar. I imagine there is cctv with someone watching. Daily mass is at 10am.
 
Mine is open all day, every day. They lock it up in the evening, not sure what time.
 
Because of vandalism and lack of security, many churches are no open 24/7.
I live in a small community. I am happy to say that the Church here is open 24/7. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
 
I’ve often said after conversion I was sad not to find a movie church, open all the time, where there is always a priest either sorting boxes of clothes for the poor or sitting in the confessional, where the wise old priest baptizes your kids and celebrates their weddings, and the young priest is out and involved in the community.
 
Times have changed for sure. Once upon a time, even in NYC, so my father used to tell me, people slept on the fire escapes during the summer when there was no air conditioning, and some even left their doors unlocked at night. NO MORE SO! I assume the same situation involves churches, particularly in large urban centers. Perhaps you will find a Catholic church or two in a small town or rural community that remains open 24/7 but even here, due to theft and safety concerns, many churches probably do not stay open over night.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top