Are combo sacramentals and 4-way medals really legit?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ziggamafu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Ziggamafu

I’ve read in some places that a single scapular medal can take the place of all your other cloth scapulars. But I’ve also read that this is only meant for emergency situations and even then it is not preferable. There are also the 5-in-1 cloth scapulars. And then there are the 4-way medals that combine a scapular medal, miraculous medal, and two others!

My question is, given that some people say these “combo sacramentals” are okay and grant all the blessings the originals do whereas some say they don’t, who’s right? It would be wonderful if I could wear a single medal (the 4-way) and get the blessings and graces that come with all these scapulars and medals, individually. However, I wonder if Christ is ok with this…after all, wouldn’t he want these things to retain the form they were sent to us in?

The coolest would be a sturdy rosary with a 4-way medal in the center. Wear that with living faith and you have all your bases covered between masses and prayers! But do these things really meet the requirements laid out by the saints who gave them to us? I just want to know if this kind of thing is officially approved of…something I can place my faith in. You know?

My understanding (in fact, I’m now reading “The Brown Scapular” pamphlet by the Rt. Rev. Charles A. Klauder) is that any blessed sacramental is “legit,” but only the cloth Brown Scapular, worn over the shoulders is highly indulgenced. Pope St. Pius X said the exception to the rule is in cases such as workers in boiler rooms or similar hot, humid situations or in the armed forces. I wear both a 4 way medal, which never comes off, and a brown scapular, which comes off in the pool and the shower!

Only the scapular cloth has the full benefits, its annoying to say the least, twisting this way and that way, but I started to see it as a little penitent cloth, and that makes it a little bit easier to put up with.
It’s a smaller version of the habit of the Carmalite order, brown off course, it can be a conversation starter to get people asking about our faith, popping up at the most unconveinent times, anyway if it is a penance then it’s not too bad.👍

Hmm…see, what i’m getting from all this is that the 4-ways and 5-in-1 scapulars act more as reminders than actual sacramentals. like, if i really wanted what mary/jesus promised me in the various apparitions, i would have to have the individual item. which, well, kind of stinks. because it would be so much more conveniant and comfortable to use a 4-way medal (letting the scapular part of the medal cover all the scapulars i might be enrolled in) rather than being weighed down by all those sacramentals individually.

40.png
Ziggamafu:
Hmm…see, what i’m getting from all this is that the 4-ways and 5-in-1 scapulars act more as reminders than actual sacramentals. like, if i really wanted what mary/jesus promised me in the various apparitions, i would have to have the individual item. which, well, kind of stinks. because it would be so much more conveniant and comfortable to use a 4-way medal (letting the scapular part of the medal cover all the scapulars i might be enrolled in) rather than being weighed down by all those sacramentals individually.
Although I am currently only a confratre of the Carmelites (thereby only wearing their scapular), I find myself drawn to some of the other scapulars out of respect for what their associated orders preach or take as their charism or, well, basically, stand for. (In particular, though not incredibly germaine to the topic, I find myself interested in becoming enrolled in the scapulars of the Immaculate Conception (Theatines) and the eponymous (black) scapular of the Passionists.) Researching this–on the internet, with my spiritual advisor, and with my vocational director–it seems clear to me that the five-fold scapular, at least, is fine. It does include an actual wool scapular of each of the five orders represented (Trinitarians, Lazarists (I believe), Theatines, Servites, and Carmelites). Why there would be any trouble here is beyond me!

Pax,
Fred

40.png
Alberich:
Although I am currently only a confratre of the Carmelites (thereby only wearing their scapular), I find myself drawn to some of the other scapulars out of respect for what their associated orders preach or take as their charism or, well, basically, stand for. (In particular, though not incredibly germaine to the topic, I find myself interested in becoming enrolled in the scapulars of the Immaculate Conception (Theatines) and the eponymous (black) scapular of the Passionists.) Researching this–on the internet, with my spiritual advisor, and with my vocational director–it seems clear to me that the five-fold scapular, at least, is fine. It does include an actual wool scapular of each of the five orders represented (Trinitarians, Lazarists (I believe), Theatines, Servites, and Carmelites). Why there would be any trouble here is beyond me!

Pax,
Fred
Well…I suppose it is easier for me to feel comfortable with the 5-fold wool scapular than the 4-way medal. still, the medal would make things so much more conveniant. i just wish there was an authoritive decision about it. sure, it can’t hurt…but i’m talking in respect of the faith in the promises of the apparitions linked with each medal and each scapular…the question is, is a 4-way medal, which would cover all the scapulars you are enrolled in as well as the miraculous medal and 2 other well known medals, officially legit and in agreement with the various apparitions terms for the extra graces?

40.png
Ziggamafu:
Well…I suppose it is easier for me to feel comfortable with the 5-fold wool scapular than the 4-way medal. still, the medal would make things so much more conveniant. i just wish there was an authoritive decision about it. sure, it can’t hurt…but i’m talking in respect of the faith in the promises of the apparitions linked with each medal and each scapular…the question is, is a 4-way medal, which would cover all the scapulars you are enrolled in as well as the miraculous medal and 2 other well known medals, officially legit and in agreement with the various apparitions terms for the extra graces?
I can’t say for sure–you might be best talking to the local priest (or bishop or canon lawyer if possible!) I can tell you that, when I was enrolled in the brown scapular, though, I went straight to the source and had it done by a Real Carmelite™. 😉 I did ask him about the medal, and he basically told me that, although the wool is preferred, he for one believed that what mattered most was the intent behind wearing it. This, of course, was followed by the very legitimate reminder not to turn it into a superstition, but to keep in our hearts the reason we have taken up the devotion in the first place. Hope that helps you out a litte…

Fred

I love the Black Scapular. Can anyone wear it, or do you have to be associated w/the Passionists in some way?

Thanks,
Nicole

40.png
Nicole:
I love the Black Scapular. Can anyone wear it, or do you have to be associated w/the Passionists in some way?

Thanks,
Nicole
Hi Nicole,

As far as I know, you need to become invested in the scapular to obtain all the benefits (graces, indulgences…) that pertain to it. I’m not sure if there is a confraternity associated with it, however… But, if you know where to get such a scapular, let me know–I’ve been looking!

Fred​

AMDG

Huh? I thought the red scapular was for the Passion…
And don’t you have to be enrolled no matter what?

40.png
Ziggamafu:
Huh? I thought the red scapular was for the Passion…
And don’t you have to be enrolled no matter what?
There are two black scapulars. There is a Black Scapular of the Dolors of Mary which is managed by the Servite Order, and the Black scapular of the Passion from the Passionists.

Most scapulars require some kind of enrollment, but not all. I believe the Green scapular has no requirements.

The most important thing regarding the benefits is to get your information directly from the order in charge of it. There are plenty of websites that give erroneous info. For instance, The Blue Scapular of the Immaculate Conception does carry benefits, but on several pages you will see claims that it grants 433 daily plenary indulgences in which you can keep one for yourself and apply the rest to souls in purgatory. This is incorrect.

Scott

cooool. thanks, that reply not only makes so much sense that i feel stupid for not taking the orders in charge of the sacramentals most seriously, but also clears up the issue a bit for me.

so far, all i’ve had are positive answers from people (including a priest and one of the “clergy” guys who answers questions @ phatmass.com. it’s this one article that bugs me: is the scapular medal ok for general use?
i guess what the guy writes makes sense…and it does seem like the 4-way medal in particular would somehow violate the instructions for each sacramental’s design, wouldn’t it? still, thank you very much for the useful reply!

40.png
Alberich:
I can’t say for sure–you might be best talking to the local priest (or bishop or canon lawyer if possible!) I can tell you that, when I was enrolled in the brown scapular, though, I went straight to the source and had it done by a Real Carmelite™. 😉 I did ask him about the medal, and he basically told me that, although the wool is preferred, he for one believed that what mattered most was the intent behind wearing it. This, of course, was followed by the very legitimate reminder not to turn it into a superstition, but to keep in our hearts the reason we have taken up the devotion in the first place. Hope that helps you out a litte…

Fred
I agree here! I have been enrolled in the Brown Scapular only since Easter, but it never occured to me that the (4way) medal wouldn’t be legit. I bought a medal in anticipation of my cloth scapular wearing out and I was anxiously waiting until I could wear it. Since then, though, I too have become very fond of wearing it. I do think the intent and devotion is the key! Sacramentals among other things are meant to be reminders of our committments and devotion! I can hear our priest now - not that I always agree, but he would say we were splitting hairs and wasting valuable time on inconsequential details!

Scott Waddell:
Most scapulars require some kind of enrollment, but not all. I believe the Green scapular has no requirements.

Scott
You are right Scott! I pray with a Green Scapular for my husband (for healing and conversion) most days! I had it blessed for him and it is in our bedroom. It doesn’t have to be worn by the person for which it is intended.

I just have to say that the whole Scapular thingy really WEIRDS me out.

Had to get that off my chest.

Regards,

Warren

40.png
bonaventura:
I just have to say that the whole Scapular thingy really WEIRDS me out.

Had to get that off my chest.

Regards,

Warren
…care to explain? I actually know a few Catholic friends (which, for now, means a majority of the Catholics I know) who tend to agree with you.

Scapulars weird me out because they remind me of my protestant upbringing, and the scepticism with which most protestants (and even many ‘non-fundamentalist’ Catholics) view those who:

(a) wear little brown cloths (scapulars) so that Mary will swoop down and save them from Hell, even if they otherwise would have died in a state of mortal sin? (???)

(b) collect and keep lots of sacramentals of various kinds (medals, holy water) on their person and all around them at all times.

(c) bury statues of St. Anthony in various places

(d) mortify themselves with a spiky chain that bites into their legs, hit themselves with a flail, or wear a hair-shirt.

If I have to explain, then it’s inexplicable, otherwise, it’s obvious. Maybe these people who do these things really do love the Lord a lot, and that’s why they practice these forms of devotion, or mortification, that are, well, beyond the ability of most people in our society to appreciate as anything other than, well, insane.

Regards,

bonaventura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back