Are Protestants Christian?

  • Thread starter Thread starter levi86
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked this of me on another board?

My answer: Some are…some aren’t. As a result I didn’t vote in the poll.

People forget the parable of the wheat and tares that were allowed to grow up together until judgement day.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
 
I’m speaking here in very general terms, I’m sure there are exceptions to every rule.
This cannot be answered as “Protestant” is a term that lacks enough definition. A Christian, by the definition of the Catholic Church, has belief in the Trinity. A Christian must also be a baptized person.

“Protestant” churches are all over the spectrum in whether or not they require baptism of their members and also there are off-shoot groups that deny the Trinity.

Therefore, no “general” assessment can be made-- only specific assessments of specific denominations.
I’m not speaking of who will be saved, but of who can legitimately be considered a Christian.

My personal opinion is that only those Churches that can legitimately trace their heritage back to the Apostles can call themselves Christians.
Your “opinion” is contrary to church teaching-- the Chruch teaches that all persons baptized in the Trinitarian formula are Christians. Please review the Catechism on the subject.
 
I’m speaking here in very general terms, I’m sure there are exceptions to every rule.

I’m not speaking of who will be saved, but of who can legitimately be considered a Christian.

My personal opinion is that only those Churches that can legitimately trace their heritage back to the Apostles can call themselves Christians.
According to your church anyone who received a Trinitarian baptism is a Christian. I would add that belief in Christ is necessary to be a true Christian as well. But I suppose it can be argued that Baptized unbeliever is a Christian, but an apostate one.
 
That section of the Catechism is highly ambiguous, in that it introduces a concept that is not defined. How does one define “faith in Christ”?

Mormons have faith in Christ
Jehovah’s Witnesses have faith in Christ
Muslims have faith in Christ

“Faith in Christ” is dependant upon ones own theology.What beliefs constitute a Christian?
Anyone one who can affirm the Nicene and Apostles Creeds. Mormons, JW’s and Muslims are not Protestants. The vast majority of those are Protestants affirm the Creeds.

Also, Protestants and Catholics believe in the same Jesus, Mormons and JW’s do not.

Mel
 
A Christian, by the definition of the Catholic Church, has belief in the Trinity. A Christian must also be a baptized person.
.
the Chruch teaches that all persons baptized in the Trinitarian formula are Christians.
Which is it? Is it baptism alone that makes the Christian, or is it baptism in addition to a belief in The Trinity?
Please review the Catechism on the subject
You seem to know it very well, perhaps you could direct me to the relevant paragraphs.
 
:

“But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel other than the one that we preached to you, let that one be accursed!” -St. Paul, Gal 1:8

St. Ignatius Has Been Banned
St. Athanasius Has Been Banned
St. Paul Has Been Banned
What Creed believing Protestant teaches another Gospel? Could you tell me what the Gospel is and I will tell you whether Protestants (traditional ones) preach the same Gospel. This is the Gospel that St. Paul preached:
1 Corinthians 15: 3-4:
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures
This is what every orthodox Protestant preaches. Do you agree that this is the Gospel? That this is of first importance? If you are going to use St. Paul you need to stick with his definition.
 
Anyone one who can affirm the Nicene and Apostles Creeds. Mormons, JW’s and Muslims are not Protestants. The vast majority of those are Protestants affirm the Creeds.

Mel
“I believe in one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church;”

No Protestant Church is Apostolic.
 
What Creed believing Protestant teaches another Gospel? Could you tell me what the Gospel is and I will tell you whether Protestants (traditional ones) preach the same Gospel. This is the Gospel that St. Paul preached:
1 Corinthians 15: 3-4:
I beg to differ. Protestants preach the gospel of salvation by “faith alone”.

This is the primary reason why they reject the Catholic Church as Christian, because we teach salvation by faith and works (i.e. a gospel distinct from thiers)
 
“I believe in one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church;”

No Protestant Church is Apostolic.
I can buy that - but it does not mean they don’t believe in it, they just understand what that means differently. Perhaps the Catholic Church they have been exposed to in their area has been so corrupt and scandal ridden that it has created an invinsible ignorance, not allowing them to believe the CC claims of being “Holy”, yet they still want love and want to serve Christ. But Everything Catholics believe about Christ (and the Holy Trinity) is affirmed by Protestants. It simply will not do to lump cults like the JW’s and Mormons in with Protestants.

You can even make the Church into an idol. Consider what the Pope said this week. “a real danger appears where persons want to identify themselves with one group or another,” rather than with Christ." I have known plenty of Catholics who had no real faith in Christ or a relationship with Him, but are darn proud to be Catholic. Can such a faith save them? Conversely I know far more Protestants that would go to their death for Him gladly. Imperfect affiliation, perfect faith. Imperfect faith, perfect affiliation. What does God care more about?
 
I’m speaking here in very general terms, I’m sure there are exceptions to every rule.

I’m not speaking of who will be saved, but of who can legitimately be considered a Christian.

My personal opinion is that only those Churches that can legitimately trace their heritage back to the Apostles can call themselves Christians.
Well that is not what the Catholic Church has said.

It teaches very clearly that anyone individual who is validly Baptized can rightly claim the title Christian.

It also does say that no Christian Community can claim the title “Church” unless it has Apostolic Succession and valid Sacraments.
 
I think you guys are slowly starting to talk me down 😃

But why is such an emphasis placed upon the Trinity (belief in and baptism into)? Why is it this doctrine above all others that defines one as Christian?
 
I think you guys are slowly starting to talk me down 😃

But why is such an emphasis placed upon the Trinity (belief in and baptism into)? Why is it this doctrine above all others that defines one as Christian?
Because Christianity is about worshipping the one, true God. It is all about Him. What we belive about who He is, is all important. All theology starts with God.

Mel
 
Which is it? Is it baptism alone that makes the Christian, or is it baptism in addition to a belief in The Trinity?
It’s both. Belief/doctrine of the Trinity makes a denomination as a whole Christian. Baptism in the Trinitarian formula makes an individual person a Christian.
You seem to know it very well, perhaps you could direct me to the relevant paragraphs.
I do not do homework for others. The Catechism can be found here (of course, I suggest you buy one too).

The relevant sections to review are:

The Creed in its entirity, but most especially paragraphs 817, 818, and 819 under The Church Is One and 836, 837, and 838 The Church is Catholic.

The Sacramental Economy and specifically the Sacrament of Baptism.

You can also find Vatican documents rejecting the baptism performed by specific sects that deny the Trinity-- for example Mormonism.
 
I’m speaking here in very general terms, I’m sure there are exceptions to every rule.

I’m not speaking of who will be saved, but of who can legitimately be considered a Christian.

My personal opinion is that only those Churches that can legitimately trace their heritage back to the Apostles can call themselves Christians.
“Christian” is a descriptive term to refer to a social phenomenon, not a theological one to refer to spirtual phenomena. It started as a political insult - like “Moonie” for followers of Rev Moon.

There are marignal cases like Unitarians, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses. Quakers sometimes point out they are not necessarily Christians, since they assemble silently in the presence of God, without making claims.

Then the members of the South Tennessee Primitive Baptists (integrated), non-Charismatic have the sense to see that their denomination cannot plausibly claim to be the whole Church, so they refer to themselves simply as “Christians”. That then leads them to exclude as “Christians” anyone not from a similar tradition. This isn’t really a use of the word we as Catholics can accept.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top