Are you still waiting for the Kingdom of God?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rosalinda
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rosalinda

Is the Kingdom of God already among us? Are you still waiting? What does it mean to you when you pray “Thy kingdom come…” in the Our Father?

“The kingdom of God is within us,’ that is, on our lips and in hearts.” (Luke 17:21) Therefore anyone who prays that the kingdom of God may not delay its coming is praying that it may be consolidated, extended, and reach its fullness within him. Our Lord in fact dwells in all holy people who recognize God as their king and obey his spiritual laws. The Father is present in the perfect soul and Christ reigns together with the Father; according to his own actual word ‘If someone loves me…we will come to him and make our home with him.’(John 14:23)

The kingdom will not reach its fullness in each of us until wisdom and the other virtues are perfected in us. Perfection is reached at the end of a journey, so we ought to be ‘forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead.’(Phil.3:13)

In other words, on the one hand the believer is a tireless traveler and on the other hand the kingdom of God will reach its completion in us only when the words of the Apostle are fulfilled: ‘When he has subjected all things, Christ will deliver up the kingdom to the Father, that God may be all in all.’ (1Cor.15:24-28)

Let us subdue our members to produce the fruits of the Spirit. Then the Lord will walk with us as in a spiritual paradise. He alone will reign in us, together with Christ. And we shall already possess the benefits of the new birth and of the resurrection.

Origen

Yes, the kingdom of God is here, right now, co-existing besides all the other stuff that this fallen world includes. It’s within us, but there is other stuff there too. It’s deep inside us, but we are covered with layers of dragon scales, just like Eustace in the Narnia tale, who became a dragon because of his sinful egotism. Then Aslan (who represents Jesus in the books) came and tore off the skin, one layer at a time, when Eustace repented with remorse. It was painful, but after it was done, Eustace was himself again. That symbolized something we all must do.

Thank you both for your thoughtful answers. I found this by St. Cyprian in the new Catholic catechism.

“THY KINGDOM COME” paragraph 2816

“It may even be… that the Kingdom of God means Christ Himself, whom we daily desire to come, and whose coming we wish to be manifested quickly to us. For as He is our resurrection, since in Him we rise, so He can also be understood as the Kingdom of God, for in Him we shall reign.”

“The Kingdom of God has been coming since the Last Supper and, in the Eucharist, it is in our midst.”

There is a theological explanation that the return of Christ is something that is constantly happening, as Christ becomes more and more manifest in the world. I don’t know the details, since I’m not a theologian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back