Arguing

• Thread starter Thread starter Teresa9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teresa9

Are people more interested in arguing over their Catholic faith or religion as a whole than finding ways to improve and deepen their faith and helping others to do so?

Yes, absolutely. I vowed to myself when I came back to the Church that I would keep my focus on God and on prayer and on increasing my faith, instead of getting embroiled in debate with people and yet I find myself drawn again and again to click on the Politics forum LOL I must stop doing that. It does me no good and quite frankly I don’t see how it can do anyone any real good. Most of us are quite immoveable from our positions and maybe it is just better to pray for each other instead of hitting each other with words.

I’m going away for a week tomorrow so maybe it’ll give me sometime to get myself back on the right track. I think half the problem is my internet addiction. It makes me weak.

You’re right. I’ve had thoughts similar to these lately. There are so many here that are so good at apologetics that my two cents worth adds nothing.

But I just can’t resist an argument sometimes.

So you’ve inspired me!! I’m going to go pray the Rosary right now.

Goodnight.

40.png
Teresa9:
Are people more interested in arguing over their Catholic faith or religion as a whole than finding ways to improve and deepen their faith and helping others to do so?
Arguments or debates sometimes cannot be avoided, especially when you are asked a question by our non-Catholic brethren, and I don’t mind engaging in a good discussion, as long as you keep it civil, focused and at a high level. It often leads you to examine what you really believe and why you believe what you believe. This is especially the case in the Apologetics and Non-Catholic forums where our separated brethren often post their messages asking question after question about Catholicism.

It is however essential for each and every Catholic to likewise take the time to deepen their faith. A good Catholic apologist is one who also lives by good example.

God bless

Gerry 🙂

It does seem that the tone of our discussions has gotten harsher over the past few weeks. I am as guilty as the next person about voicing my opinion in no uncertain terms. I pray to become a better person and avoid judging or putting down people who have opinions that are different from mine. I agree that the politics forum has become very argumentive and since I have made up my mind to vote for Bush there is no good reason for me to visit there. Yet I feel drawn to it. My wife says I love a good argument and should have been a lawyer. I am trying to limit myself to only 1 visit and 2 comments per day to the politics forum. Let us pray that civility will return to all forums soon.

I think the anonimty of the internet allows people to forget that every action must be done in charity. I know that I have been willing to point out a person’s fault in a post. It is truly an act against charity to chastize someone publically. Scripture tells you to go directly to the person, not to anyone else, and most certainly not publically. That is gossip or calumny at the minimum.

A spiritual retreat talked I recently heard discussed this point exactly. How many times do we hit send and then regret it? I listened but didn’t really absorb it as much as when I logged in here one night and read a thread on confession was speculated and lacked charity. The irony of the thread hit me smack in the face. I regret not putting all thoughts through the practice of charity.

That is why I pay most attention to the Spirtuality & Family Life forums, and then Sacraments and Liturgy forums.

This is off topic, but how do you edit a post? I have proofread a few posts after submitting and wish I could edit the errors. It says that edit is “on” but I can not find an edit button anywhere.

T.A.Stobie:
That is why I pay most attention to the Spirtuality & Family Life forums, and then Sacraments and Liturgy forums.
I frequently try to do the same because I feel those are the things I need to concentrate on to grow in faith, but unfortunately some of the divisiveness infects even those forums and I wonder why on earth polls about who is following the Church’s teachings or not need to be posted in Spirituality! At this point, it is such a political hot potatoe that I really think that sort of thing belongs in the Politics thread.

40.png
Teresa9:
Dear Teresa9,

Both.

The latter one is obvious. Why, then, am I not ashamed to admit to the former? Hmmm…

For one thing, I have always been a “stick up for the underdog” type person. When I encounter a verbal confrontation and I see one side using “bullying” techniques or illogic, I tend to want to jump in and support the other side no matter which side I am on. That could mean I am noble because I stand up for the oppressed, or that I’m egotistical because I want to be known as doing so.

Also, part of it is out of frustration, and for this I pray for healing but recognize that the arguing itself, if done with love, can play a role in that healing. After all, Catholic bashing is everywhere and sometimes the bashers make some points that sound viable. There are a sad few people to really talk about it; they are either too shallow to have a good discussion, or they aren’t informed enough, are too busy, or get offended and judgmental. That turns a lot of us who are just trying to do what’s right and be honest with ourselves and others, into pressure cookers. Here we can come to this forum and find people who are interested and educated enough to have a prolonged debate on these issues. This may sound like displaced anger, and in part it is.

Third, also in relation to Catholic bashing, I have a “big brother” mentality. All day I can commiserate with other Catholics about Catholic faith, I can argue with other Catholics about the faith, and I am sometimes too quick to judge others and when I argue with a truly open mind and not just to stomp on somebody else, I learn things, and I get put in my place which increases humility. Now, all of that strengthens me, much like siblings wrestling with each other or a football team playing a scrimmage. That strengthens me so that when outsiders come in and try dissing the Church, watch out! I will be attentive and polite, but if they come off with some sort of holier-than-though attitude, they had better have a d*mn good argument if they expect to get away from me unscathed.

Fourth, I get pretty tired of having my motives questioned and my opinions impugned, and Catholics who dismiss my questions and concerns with platitudes about how I should just believe, tell me I’m disobedient, or sidetrack the questions entirely with a non-answer and then get mad when I push for clarification (a number of priests I know do this) get me very upset and make me question whether there really is anything behind what they say. The more they try to bully me into believing something that makes no sense or seems self-contradictory, the more stubborn I become. On this forum I first became very upset with what seemed like the same thing but now I am seeing people really open up and discuss issues and not just throw around cliches and insults.

Long live the forums! They’re one of the best things I’ve encountered in a long time!

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back