Aristotle

• Thread starter Thread starter Montie_Claunch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Montie_Claunch

I was wondering. I am interested in seeing about applying logic to God and religion, scince noone I know personally scince my youth has (and a few discourage it), and am currently takeing a Intro. to logic class which we are currently discussing Aristotle and the “tradtional square” composed of A,E,I and O. I remeber reading in a book How the Catholic Church Saved Western Civilization that the Catholic Church sometime after St. Thomas Aquinas threw Aristoltian Logic out the window. Could someone clearify why for me? Thanks and God bless.

Montie Claunch:
I was wondering. I am interested in seeing about applying logic to God and religion, scince noone I know personally scince my youth has (and a few discourage it), and am currently takeing a Intro. to logic class which we are currently discussing Aristotle and the “tradtional square” composed of A,E,I and O. I remeber reading in a book How the Catholic Church Saved Western Civilization that the Catholic Church sometime after St. Thomas Aquinas threw Aristoltian Logic out the window. Could someone clearify why for me? Thanks and God bless.
I’m not aware of reasoning having been thrown out of the window by the Church. After St. Thomas, it came to stay.

As a matter of fact, St. Thomas is your best source of use of Aristotelian logic applied to God. Actually, God is logic, the Logus is Jesus.

:blessyou:

ohh. No,no,no. I don’t mean that the church threw out logic. There are several forms of logic in which Aristole had one of these forms, which I heard the Church (at least for a little while) rid of.

Montie Claunch:
ohh. No,no,no. I don’t mean that the church threw out logic. There are several forms of logic in which Aristole had one of these forms, which I heard the Church (at least for a little while) rid of.
general rule, in posing apologetics questions, which I notice you tend to disregard in many of your posts. We do not begin with "I heard that the Church . . . " or "I read somewhere that Catholics . . . " or “somebody told me that The Catholic Church . . .” We cite the actual statement, and its source and its context. If you do that, those who respond are able to give you the actual truth about the statement and actual Church teaching and practice. Vague statements like that without any basis are not worth discussing or rebutting. All we can do for you is what has been done many times before in response to your questions: urge you to first do your homework before asking basic questions. Go to the CA homepage or to the Catholic Encyclopedia, read the articles and tracts on your topic. Then ask your specific questions to clarify points you still do not understand.

40.png
asquared:
general rule, in posing apologetics questions, which I notice you tend to disregard in many of your posts. We do not begin with "I heard that the Church . . . " or "I read somewhere that Catholics . . . " or “somebody told me that The Catholic Church . . .” We cite the actual statement, and its source and its context. If you do that, those who respond are able to give you the actual truth about the statement and actual Church teaching and practice. Vague statements like that without any basis are not worth discussing or rebutting. All we can do for you is what has been done many times before in response to your questions: urge you to first do your homework before asking basic questions. Go to the CA homepage or to the Catholic Encyclopedia, read the articles and tracts on your topic. Then ask your specific questions to clarify points you still do not understand.
Bravo, and here, here!

Not to mention, as well, that this is not an elementary question, or one might be easily handled in this forum.

Montie,

If your looking for contemporary Aristotelian philosophers, there is no shortage, try two of the best:Jacques Maritain or Etienne Gilson. They are both amazing philosophers, and follow the tradition of Saint Thomas Aquinas.

God bless,

Agricola

From what I’ve heard, Aquinas merged the ideas of Aristotle and Augustine. Since Aquinas is regarded as the greatest theologian, I wouldn’t say we’ve abandoned logic. 2 years ago I took a class on symbolic logic at my Catholic high school, so it’s not exactly frowned upon.

Ralph McInerny (sp?) wrote a book which, I believe, is called Peeping Thomists. It is a book written for folks who are just beginning to venture into the world of Thomas Aquinas. This author is the same one who wrote the Father Dowling mysteries. He is an excellent writer and philosopher. If you search a list of his writings, you will find this book listed, I am sure. He uses original writings and then explains them.

Montie Claunch:
I remeber reading in a book How the Catholic Church Saved Western Civilization that the Catholic Church sometime after St. Thomas Aquinas threw Aristoltian Logic out the window. Could someone clearify why for me?
Again, I can’t. But let me remind you that the explanation of the Real Presence and all the term used in it, transubstanciation, accident of bread, etc, are purely Aristotelian and although I’ve never been told who authored it, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’d been St. Thomas.

:blessyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back