Arousal While Watching Movies

  • Thread starter Thread starter UnderMarysMantel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnderMarysMantel

Guest
I have recently watched the movie trilogy The Lord of the Rings for the first time and I love it! I think they may be the best movies I’ve ever seen in my life — the plot, the acting, the heroism, the music — all wonderful.

The second time I watched them, however, I noticed a slight feeling of arousal every time I looked at one of the actors. I didn’t want this feeling and I didn’t think any impure thoughts, but now I wonder if I can in good conscience ever watch these movies again. Perhaps I wouldn’t experience that feeling next time, but I don’t know for sure.

It breaks my heart to think I can never watch these movies EVER again (—or listen to the soundtrack or read the books because that would probably make me want to see the movies again even more—), but I sure won’t if that is what God wants. Any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Finding somebody attractive is amoral.

Allowing the mind to become pornographic is a sin, because of how it degrades the infinite value of the person.

In Heaven, men are going to be unbelievably handsome. That doesn’t mean there will be any lust.
 
Last edited:
There is a big difference between arousal and dwelling or obsessing on sexual acts with someone else.

Arousal is involuntary, but dwelling on it to the extent it because lust or adultery is where IMO sin sneaks in.
 
You dont have to watch things if you think they are problematic for you. You are the master of what your eyes see.
 
Do you think it is the movie or the character? I was very enamored about an actor once, but when I learned a little bit more about him and impressed upon myself that he was an ordinary person with a very pleasant life of his own that did not include the fantasies of his many fans–and do impress upon yourself that it would be easy to fill a room and perhaps even a stadium with people who have felt as you do–that turned things down a bit. It does kind of turn down the experience of the movie or show that you have when you have suspended all disbelief and really imagine yourself somewhere in the story, but sometimes a huge dose of reality is what is needed. (And I still like the shows he did just fine, even with that bit of distance and perspective added in.)

In any event, you can’t “not think of an elephant.” To get rid of an inappropriate thought, substitute a better one and think that one. The better thought is that you need to think of this actor in a way that he would not find creepy if he met you in person and could read your thoughts. Think of him as a person, not as an object for you to drool about. Put yourself in his position, imagine you were a gorgeous actress with many adoring fans who imagined inappropriate relationships with you and even stopped you in the grocery store and gushed about the naughty thoughts you and your characters gave them–oh, ick!!!–and that will help you out a great deal, I would think!

All virtue, including purity, is a do-unto-others and putting-ourselves-in-the-appropriate-spot thing, in the end.
 
Last edited:
Know that you can get your passions under the control of your will. This gives you another reason, so you can enjoy a story you like.
 
Best to stay away from the offending material and detach yourself from the need for said movie. Read books on the faith (especially ones by St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross) and start praying more often. It is more pleasing to God to be praying the rosary or the Divine Wounds Chaplet than to be wasting time watching movies.
 
Question, is this a homosexual or heterosexual attraction?

If it’s the former then it’s definitely disordered!

Other people have already chimed in and said good advice. Here’s my quick two-cents.

There’s nothing sinful in thinking someone is attractive. After all, if we didn’t feel any attraction to someone people wouldn’t be getting married and having children!

There is a difference between attraction and lust. Not thinking impure thoughts is good and isn’t sinful. Talk to your confessor about this of course, as you may have what’s known as scrupulous behavior.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top