[Article] Thomism is preferable to Molinism

• Thread starter Thread starter Mythicalbio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
However the different schools of thought are not unified among the members.

Catholic Encylopedia, Predestination (excerpt):
The theory of predestination post prævisa merita
This theory defended by the earlier Scholastics (Alexander of Hales, Albertus Magnus), as well as by the majority of the Molinists, and warmly recommended by St. Francis de Sales “as the truer and more attractive opinion”, has this as its chief distinction, that it is free from the logical necessity of upholding negative reprobation. It differs from predestination ante prævisa merita in two points: first, it rejects the absolute decree and assumes a hypothetical predestination to glory; secondly, it does not reverse the succession of grace and glory in the two orders of eternal intention and of execution in time, but makes glory depend on merit in eternity as well as in the order of time. This hypothetical decree reads as follows: Just as in time eternal happiness depends on merit as a condition, so I intended heaven from all eternity only for foreseen merit. — It is only by reason of the infallible foreknowledge of these merits that the hypothetical decree is changed into an absolute: These and no others shall be saved.

This view not only safeguards the universality and sincerity of God’s salvific will, but coincides admirably with the teachings of St. Paul (cf. 2 Timothy 4:8), who knows that there “is laid up” (reposita est, apokeitai) in heaven “a crown of justice”, which “the just judge will render” (reddet, apodosei) to him on the day of judgment.
Owing to the infallible decisions laid down by the Church, every orthodox theory on predestination and reprobation must keep within the limits marked out by the following theses: a) At least in the order of execution in time (in ordine executionis) the meritorious works of the predestined are the partial cause of their eternal happiness; b) hell cannot even in the order of intention (in ordine intentionis) have been positively decreed to the damned, even though it is inflicted on them in time as the just punishment of their misdeeds; c) there is absolutely no predestination to sin as a means to eternal damnation.
Pohle, J. (1911). Predestination. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. : http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12378a.htm

Last edited:
Catholic Encyclopedia, Predestination (excerpt):

“(1) Consequently, the whole future membership of heaven, down to its minutest details, with all the different measures of grace and the various degrees of happiness, has been irrevocably fixed from all eternity. Nor could it be otherwise. For if it were possible that a predestined individual should after all be cast into hell or that one not predestined should in the end reach heaven, then God would have been mistaken in his foreknowledge of future events; He would no longer be omniscient.

(2) The second quality of predestination, the definiteness of the number of the elect, follows naturally from the first. For if the eternal counsel of God regarding the predestined is unchangeable, then the number of the predestined must likewise be unchangeable and definite, subject neither to additions nor to cancellations. Anything indefinite in the number would eo ipso imply a lack of certitude in God’s knowledge and would destroy His omniscience. Furthermore, the very nature of omniscience demands that not only the abstract number of the elect, but also the individuals with their names.

Ante prævisa merita
This theory, championed by all Thomists and a few Molinists (as Bellarmine, Francisco Suárez, Francis de Lugo).
Asserts that God, by an absolute decree and without regard to any future supernatural merits, predestined from all eternity certain men to the glory of heaven, and then, in consequence of this decree, decided to give them all the graces necessary for its accomplishment.

The Book of Life

God’s unerring foreknowledge and foreordaining is designated in the Bible by the beautiful figure of the “Book of Life” ( liber vitæ , to biblion tes zoes ). This book of life is a list which contains the names of all the elect and admits neither additions nor erasures.”

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12378a.htm

GOD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SALVATION OF THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE

Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwig Ott;

For every salutary act internal supernatural grace of God (gratia elevans) is absolutely necessary, (De fide dogma).
Fallen man cannot redeem himself, (De fide dogma). – It is God’s responsibility to save ALL OF US.
Without the special help of God the justified cannot persevere to the end in justification, (De fide dogma ).
It is God’s responsibility TO KEEP US SAVED by His gift of Final Perseverance, which is an INFALLIBLE PROTECTION of the salvation of every receiver, there is no salvation without it. – Infallible teachings of the Trent.

“Trent’s Decree of Justification, canon 16, speaks of “that great and special gift of final perseverance,” and chapter 13 of the decree speaks of “the gift of perseverance of which it is written: ‘He who perseveres to the end shall be saved Matt.10:22, 24:13, which cannot be obtained from anyone except from him who is able to make him who stands to stand Rom.14:4.”
CCC 2016 The children of our holy mother the Church rightly hope for the grace of final perseverance.
God bless

Last edited:
And Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, Ludwig Ott, page 246 has:
The Human Will remains free under the influence of efficacious grace, which is not irresistible. (De fide.)

The Council of Trent declared against the Reformers: If anyone says that man’s free will, moved and awakened by God, does in no manner co-operate when it assents to God, Who excites and calls it, thereby disposing and preparing itself to receive the grace of justification; and (if anyone says) that it cannot dissent if it wishes, but that, like some inanimate thing, it does nothing whatever, and only remains passive, let him be anathema. D 814.
Catechism of the Catholic Church
1037 God predestines no one to go to hell; 620 for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end. In the Eucharistic liturgy and in the daily prayers of her faithful, the Church implores the mercy of God, who does not want “any to perish, but all to come to repentance”: 621
Father, accept this offering
from your whole family.
Grant us your peace in this life,
save us from final damnation,
and count us among those you have chosen. 622
620 Cf. Council of Orange II (529): DS 397; Council of Trent (1547):1567.
621 2 Pet 3:9.
622 Roman Missal, EP I (Roman Canon) 88.

Last edited:
Is that efficacious grace if it isn’t irresistible? That is a weird part of Ott I don’t get, but I need to research Augustinianism more, to see what the Catholic doctrines of grace are. I wonder if he is mistaken in saying this is de fide.

Last edited:
Is that efficacious grace if it isn’t irresistible? That is a weird part of Ott I don’t get, but I need to research Augustinianism more, to see what the Catholic doctrines of grace are. I wonder if he is mistaken in saying this is de fide.
As Ludwig Ott states in Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, Ludwig Ott, p. 246
“there are graces which have as a consequence the salutary effect intended by God, i.e., efficacious graces (gratiae efficaces), and graces, which do not have this effect, i.e., merely sufficient graces (gratiae mere sufficientes).”

“The Reformers and the Jansenists sought to solve this difficult question radically by denying the freedom of the will.”
The dogma is from the Council of Trent (Denzinger):
814 Can. 4. If anyone shall say that man’s free will moved and aroused by God does not cooperate by assenting to God who rouses and calls, whereby it disposes and prepares itself to obtain the grace of justification, and that it cannot dissent, if it wishes, but that like something inanimate it does nothing at all and is merely in a passive state: let him be anathema [cf. n. 797].
http://www.patristica.net/denzinger/#n800

Last edited:
The Human Will remains free under the influence of efficacious grace, which is not irresistible. (De fide.)
Yes it is resistible but NO ONE RESIST IT because:

There is a supernatural intervention of God in the faculties of the soul, which precedes the free act of the will, (De fide dogma).
Aquinas said, “ God changes the will without forcing it. But he can change the will from the fact that he himself operates in the will as he does in nature,” De Veritatis 22:9. 31. ST I-II:112:3. 32. Gaudium et Spes 22; "being …
CCC 308 The truth that God is at work in all the actions of his creatures is inseparable from faith in God the Creator.
God is the first cause who operates in and through secondary causes:
"For God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Far from diminishing the creature’s dignity, this truth enhances it.

CCC 307 God thus enables men to be intelligent and free, causes in order to complete the work of creation, … Though often unconscious collaborators with God’s will.
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Free Will explains;
“God is the author of all causes and effects. God’s omnipotent providence exercises a complete and perfect control over all events that happen, or will happen, in the universe.”

Of course the condition is: NO ONE RESISTS HIS GRACES!!!
Without even knowing, we are all God’s builders, every choice we make, every act we perform, tailor made to each of us, and Designed, Decreed, Foreordained by God from all eternity and He causes us to perform in order to complete the work of His creation.

Ez. 36:27 I will put My spirit within you, and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you shall keep my judgments, and do them.

St. Thomas teaches that all movements of will and choice must be traced to the divine will: and not to any other cause, because Gad alone is the cause of our willing and choosing. CG, 3.91.

CCC 2022; The divine initiative (supernatural intervention of God in the faculties of the soul) in the work of grace precedes, prepares, and elicits the free response of man.
As we are all God’s builders.

THIS IS THE WAY ABOVE, God aides us that we ALWAYS FREELY WILL what God wills us to will, and we ALWAYS FREELY do what God wills and causes us to do.
God bless

Last edited:
A beautiful teaching. There is immense rest and hope knowing the true stories sovereignty of God over all things. Resting salvation on ourselves in anyway to me is worth despairing over, just seeing how humans can barely keep an organized life in trivial matters.

Do you make that we compilations of teaching or get it from somewhere else? If you make it, you should have a blog, if you don’t already

Thank you Mythicalbio for your question.
I don’t have a blog, my posts comes out from Catholic Theology.

God bless

40.png
Vico:
Yes it is resistible but NO ONE RESIST IT because:
The needed grace is given and is called two different things based upon the free will non-cooperation or free will cooperation of the individual, respectively, (merely) sufficient or efficacious. Notice what is required per the dogmas:

Catholic Encylopedia
Owing to the infallible decisions laid down by the Church, every orthodox theory on predestination and reprobation must keep within the limits marked out by the following theses:
a) At least in the order of execution in time ( in ordine executionis ) the meritorious works of the predestined are the partial cause of their eternal happiness;
b) hell cannot even in the order of intention ( in ordine intentionis ) have been positively decreed to the damned, even though it is inflicted on them in time as the just punishment of their misdeeds;
c) there is absolutely no predestination to sin as a means to eternal damnation.

Last edited:
What do we make of people who lack faith until their death? Thomism makes a lot more sense when we look at the big picture — humanity in total, but Molinism makes a lot more sense if we look at the individual in relationship to God.

Last edited:
What do we make of people who lack faith until their death? Thomism makes a lot more sense when we look at the big picture — humanity in total, but Molinism makes a lot more sense if we look at the individual in relationship to God.
Re: those that lack faith until their death:

Matthew 20
9 When therefore they were come, that came about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny. 10 But when the first also came, they thought that they should receive more: and they also received every man a penny. … 15 Or, is it not lawful for me to do what I will? is thy eye evil, because I am good? 16 So shall the last be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.

Last edited:
The Lord moved their will and saved them I think. But I am still researching, if what @Latin says about aided free will all over this site is true, and it seems to be, then everyone should celebrate and I am taking a personal feast day to celebrate this doctrine.

There must be room for freedom of the will to reject grace or else it’s universalism. It also seems to contradict Christ’s own words, such as when he said it would have been better for Judas not to have been born.

There is passive reprobation I believe, where God simply doesn’t give the grace although it is possible for them to get it and be saved. There is a weird paradox and mystery there. It is distinct from predestination to hell, as God doesn’t do that. Augustine said that if someone is saved it is due to kercy, if they are damned it is due to their own sin.

Why do you find non-election to grace lacking? The effect may be the same but it keeps creatures from blaspheming God by saying he damns souls out of His direct willing.

Last edited:
There is passive reprobation I believe, where God simply doesn’t give the grace although it is possible for them to get it and be saved. There is a weird paradox and mystery there. It is distinct from predestination to hell, as God doesn’t do that. Augustine said that if someone is saved it is due to kercy, if they are damned it is due to their own sin.
Yes, reprobation is a thing. What I’m saying is that I don’t like the Thomist explanation for it. For me, the Molinist explanation makes more sense as I find it balances God’s sovereignty and man’s free response to grace. Thomism, while it affirms reprobation is still post praevisa demerita, I still cannot see how it’s not effectively equivalent to Calvinist double-predestination, since Thomism posits election ante praevisa merita.

To be clear, Thomists hold only to a negative reprobation, not the positive one held by the Calvinists. They affirm the universal desire for salvation and sufficient grace given to all. What is not clear is how they can reconcile all this with the notion of non-election vis-a-vis election ante praevisa merita.

Molinism argues both election and reprobation are post praevisa merita and post praevisa demerita. Of course it has some unanswered difficult questions as well (e.g. “Why didn’t God lay out an economy of grace wherein all would be saved?”) but overall, I still consider it preferable to Thomism. As I said, I like the idea of Thomism’s election ante praevisa merita, but because of that, it’s reasoning on reprobation is lacking.

Last edited:
“Why didn’t God lay out an economy of grace wherein all would be saved?”
A plausible response may be that if free will is real, then there is no feasible world where all are saved. Or, there may be no feasible fallen world where all are saved, but God creates the world and permits the fall anyway to save some, since it is better that one soul is glorified than not exist at all. Of course that means that potentially billions of souls are damned.

Last edited:
40.png
porthos11:
“Why didn’t God lay out an economy of grace wherein all would be saved?”
A plausible response may be that if free will is real, then there is no feasible world where all are saved. Or, there may be no feasible fallen world where all are saved, but God creates the world and permits the fall anyway to save some, since it is better that one soul is glorified than not exist at all.
That was only a theoretical question I posted as an example of the difficulties of Molinism, to clarify that while I lean towards Molinism, I’m not oblivious to its own shortcomings, i.e. it’s not a perfect school of thought either. I was not expecting or requiring an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back