Ash Wednesday and Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter sticknstring73
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sticknstring73

Guest
Does one have to go to confession before receiving ashes? I’m in RCIA and although baptized I have not made a confession yet (nor has anyone in my class) and I am not sure of the protocol, I’ve been looking through books and all over the internet but it doesn’t seem to be the case but I want to be sure. There are leaflets with the mass schedule all over the place and they are hearing confession all day which is making me doubt my search results. Right now I’m between classes and did not get a chance to clear it up with my priest/teacher.
Many thanks for any advice anyone can give.
 
Confession is only required if one is in the state of mortal sin and desires to receive communion. Anyone can receive ashes on Ash Wednesday; I plan to bring my 2yr. old grandson.
 
Does one have to go to confession before receiving ashes? I’m in RCIA and although baptized I have not made a confession yet (nor has anyone in my class) and I am not sure of the protocol, I’ve been looking through books and all over the internet but it doesn’t seem to be the case but I want to be sure. There are leaflets with the mass schedule all over the place and they are hearing confession all day which is making me doubt my search results. Right now I’m between classes and did not get a chance to clear it up with my priest/teacher.
Many thanks for any advice anyone can give.
We can receive ashes as far as I’m aware without going to confession although I plan on asking for a confession soon.
 
Thank you both so much! I was just a little unsure. I too plan on going to confession but I want to make sure I do it correctly as it will be my first one.

Have a great Lent
 
Receiving the ashes is just a blessing. Anyone can receive the blessing.
 
Ashes are a “sacramental,” (specially blessed object) just like holy water, blessed palms, blessed candles, etc.

You don’t even have to be baptized to receive and use a sacramental. Basically you just have to have a respectful attitude, and not do anything sacrilegious and nasty with them.

Since ashes are pretty perishable, there’s really not much else to do but receive them, keep them on a while, and then wash them off.

If you had something you could keep for a long time, like a blessed palm leaf from Palm Sunday, you’d want to plan to keep it in a respectful way (you don’t want to step on it or throw it away accidentally, that sort of thing), and you’d need to dispose of it respectfully when you can’t keep it any more (which means burning, burying, or breaking the object, usually). There are a couple other things to know, but they don’t apply to ashes, either.

You probably already know that people’s old blessed palms get burned to make the ashes for Ash Wednesday.
 
People of all faiths can receive ashes on Ash Wednesday in a Catholic Church.
 
**Anybody **can receive the ashes; even being Catholic is not required.

In fact, ashes are given in some non-Catholic churches.

ICXC NIKA
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top