Atheist question

• Thread starter Thread starter Detroit_Sue
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Detroit_Sue

I have met 2 people in my life who claim to be atheists. They not only celebrate Christmas (well, the tree & presents part), buy Easter baskets for their kids, but they will exclaim “Oh my God!” if they are surprised or alarmed. What does this all mean? That they really AREN’T atheistic?

It seems pretty obvious that they pick and choose what they want in their lives. I simply pray each day for all those that don’t believe that God will open their eyes to the truth in this lifetime and then leave it alone. Its pointless to discuss this with them, they have a mind that is locked to the truth, they feel they have the truth and you’ll only frustrate yourself trying to show them the truth.
Best not to even enter into it, pray for those who don’t know God pray with everything in you and if they come to you with an open readiness to know the truth and not just debate the issue then you can minister, these threads with Catholics vs Atheists if you look at some have gotten out of control and are even being locked for it.

What you have to realize is that, in many ways, Christmas and Easter have been made secular customs. Presents and easter baskets, while certainly compatible with the Faith, do not require it. In addition, the phrase “Oh my God” has, unfortunately, become a colloquial expression rather than an act of praise. I wouldn’t use it to prove to an atheist that he has faith or somesuch. It probably wouldn’t do any good.

Our secular society celebrates Christmas without mention the birth of Jesus and Easter without mentioning the resurrection of Jesus. Exclamatory phrases such as listed in the original post are just that, the person might as well as said Darn! The intent is no different, for people of little or no faith. I once said things like that. It has been alot of years but I don’t anymore, those words actually mean something to me now.

Dr. Colossus:
What you have to realize is that, in many ways, Christmas and Easter have been made secular customs. Presents and easter baskets, while certainly compatible with the Faith, do not require it. In addition, the phrase “Oh my God” has, unfortunately, become a colloquial expression rather than an act of praise. I wouldn’t use it to prove to an atheist that he has faith or somesuch. It probably wouldn’t do any good.
That’s a good point. I had blocked it out of my memory, but on Holy Saturday, there were Muslims (scarves & all) buying oodles of baskets in my local Wal-Mart. 😦

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back