Is the idea that attending Mass as a family is of greater value than having family members attend individually a Vatican II introduction?
Obviously families have been attending Mass together for years, especially in places where there is only one Mass practically available. And I think some cultures place more value on family togetherness than do others. But today there seems to be the idea that even when practical concerns would dictate otherwise, it is of higher spiritual value to attend as a family.
I ask because it seems to me that my Irish/German heritage did not place a big emphasis on attending as a family so long as each family member did attend.
Obviously families have been attending Mass together for years, especially in places where there is only one Mass practically available. And I think some cultures place more value on family togetherness than do others. But today there seems to be the idea that even when practical concerns would dictate otherwise, it is of higher spiritual value to attend as a family.
I ask because it seems to me that my Irish/German heritage did not place a big emphasis on attending as a family so long as each family member did attend.