Australian Bible Used and a General Use Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter David89
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David89

Guest
Hello all,

I have a question about the version of the bible used in mass in Australia. My searches to find which bible version is used for the lectionary’s (i apologise if some of the things im saying dont make much sense, im making a return to the catholic faith and may be abit rusty) and also which version of the psalms are used have found no results.

I was hoping someone in here would know which versions are used, im looking into getting a bible and have been looking at the NJB and the CTS New Catholic bible for personal study. I was leaning towards the NJB until i found out that over in Britain they use the CTS (JB) including the grail psalms in the CTS. I am however worried that the NJB strays away from catholic teachings especially in the foot notes, and id rather a strong catholic bible to help refresh my knowledge. All help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 🙂
 
Hello all,

I have a question about the version of the bible used in mass in Australia. My searches to find which bible version is used for the lectionary’s (i apologise if some of the things im saying don’t make much sense, im making a return to the catholic faith and may be a bit rusty) and also which version of the psalms are used have found no results.

I was hoping someone in here would know which versions are used, im looking into getting a bible and have been looking at the NJB and the CTS New Catholic bible for personal study. I was leaning towards the NJB until i found out that over in Britain they use the CTS (JB) including the grail psalms in the CTS. I am however worried that the NJB strays away from catholic teachings especially in the foot notes, and id rather a strong catholic bible to help refresh my knowledge. All help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 🙂
My understanding was that like Canada the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference have been using the N.R.S.V. biblical translation in their Lectionary.
However the information that I was able to research is almost a year out of date according to this Austrailian website: ad2000.com.au/articles/1995/feb1995p14_791.html

You could simply query your parish priest.

Perhaps you can find more information from this website: catholic.org.au/

In Canada the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops are using a New Lectionary based on the biblical Revised Standard Version. The U.S. editions of the Lectionary are based on the NAB (New American Bible) translation.

Peace of Christ

Chris
 
Thanks for your response Chris, i think i shall heed your advice and just ask a local priest to double check. Your response is much appreciated 🙂

God Bless.
 
I’m not sure which one is used as the lectionary version at the moment. When I joined the Catholic church about 13 yeas ago, i was given a copy of the New Revised Standard Version Catholic Editiion as part of the induction.

I think there’s been a fairly recent change in the lectionary version however, so your idea of asking your priest is the best. But if you’re doing the RCIA course, check to see if the parish is going to present you with a copy of the Bible before you rush out and buy one.
 
Hi Bob,
Thankyou for your (name removed by moderator)ut. Are you in Australia? and ive heard about these RCIA courses, what are they exactly?

Thanks again.
 
Hi Bob,
Thankyou for your (name removed by moderator)ut. Are you in Australia? and ive heard about these RCIA courses, what are they exactly?

Thanks again.
Yeah, mate, I’m in Australia, Logan City, sort of squeezed in between Brisbane and the Gold Coast (& Redlands and Ipswich).

The RCIA (“Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults”) courses are a basic induction course for adults and mature teenagers thinking of joining the Catholic Church. Each parish organises its own courses, although the bishop’s office would probably decide what texts and instructional documents are to be used.

When I did mine, there was a small group of us meeting in a parishioner’s home, with tea and coffee afterwards, the usual stuff… If I remember rightly, there were almost as many representatives from the parish as there were applicants. Sometimes the parish priest would come along as well.

I think there were a few other groups meeting at other residences at the same time.

We used a small text “At Home with God’s People” as the main guide for weekly discussons, or it might have been fortnightly (fair while ago, so my memory is a bit wonky).

Obviously we were free to ask questions, There was no cost (I think) and there is no compulsion to join the church if you still have doubts. But at least it gives applicants a chance to see what they are getting into.

At the end of the course, we were accepted into the Catholic Church, with full “acceptance” generally being regarded as fulfilled at Pentecost.

I’ve attached a link below. The terminology is a bit daunting (one of the problems with the Catholic Church - it’s language and structure can make it look forbidding to outsiders at times), but in reality it’s fairly basic from the point of view of the candidates as they’re called. It’s the priest and the parish administration who have to worry about all the liturgical and theological jargon.

catholicdoors.com/courses/rcia.htm

There is some obligation on the part of candidates if they really intend to join. They have to front up on a few occasions at certain specific masses, just as you would if joining any other serious outfit. But as I said, people can do the RCIA and then decide not to join the Church. There is no obligation.
 
From the inside cover page of my Australian Missal
Extracts from scripture (excepting psalm texts) from the Jerusalem Bible version of scripture copyright 1966,1967, and 1968, Darton, Longman and Todd and Doubleday & Co Inc. Psalm texts from The Psalms, A New Translation copyright 1963 The Grail (England) published by Collins in Fontana books.
There will be a new missal coming out shortly, next year, with the new English translation of the Mass. I don’t know if there will be any revisions to scripture versions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top