Authors of good Catholic books

• Thread starter Thread starter Toni
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Toni

I know that Scott Hahn, Patrick Madrid, The Holy Father etc. are good authors to read. Does anyone know of others. I go to the religious store and see so many interesting books but am not always sure of the author. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

gk chesterton (esp orthodoxy and his bios on francis of assisi and thomas aquinas)

cs lewis (not catholic, but great reading, and contributed to MY becoming catholic)

michael o’brien (esp father elijah)

peter kreeft (his ‘everything you ever wanted to know about heaven’ is the best book i’ve read on the subject)

I think Matthew Kelly is excellent. “Rhythm of Life” is my favorite.

Depends what type of book or topic you are looking for. I read A LOT and I have tons of Catholic books and some favorite writers, but mostly I’m looking to fill some specific interest of need. Rather than looking for favorite writers, I usually look for Catholic publishing houses that I’ve come to trust for orthodox content and that carry lines of topics that I’m interested in. That way I don’t have to scan all the titles or writers names; I just look for the publisher’s name or icon on the spine, then I can pick the book up and see if it interests me. This saves me lots of time and annoyance.

Over the years, through trial and error, this is what I’ve found. Some may disagree, but it works for me:

GOOD Publishers of Catholic Books
Ignatius
Sophia
Basilica
Tan
OSV
Emmaus Road
Servant

BAD Publishers of Catholic Books
Paulist Press
Notre Dame
Crossroads
Secular publishing houses (though they do occasionaly publish some good authors, like Scott Hahn)

Thank you, this will make going to the book store much easier. I will print the lists of suggestions. Thanks again.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back