Avoiding Near Occasions of Sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Holly3278
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Holly3278

Guest
Hi everyone. I just read that in order for a Confession to be valid, you must firmly resolve not to allow yourself into near occasions of sin and that this means that you must avoid people whom might cause you to sin. Is this true? I had no idea that it was necessary to avoid near occasions of sin? Also, if a person has caused me to sin in the past does that mean that I must never go near them again? I sincerely hope not. I feel as though I am strong enough to not let these people influence me to sin again.
 
Hi. 🙂 I have same dilemma too. I broke up with my past relationship because it keeps us falling into sin. We know that we are so in-love with each other and that we put God first into our relationship. That is why we decided to break up. We are still friends though. We see each other almost once a month as friends and make sure to meet in public places. Little by little we are striving to work on our purity as an individual. It is best to build our personal relationship with God first before dealing with other people. Based from my experiences, no matter how strong your faith is, if you are not doing anything to avoid those occasions of sin, then most likely, you will fall and fall again. I guess this is what meant by trying to avoid near occasions of sin as well. Please someone correct me if I miss something in this. 🙂 A friend also once told me that, if you feel too confident with how strong you are, then better think again. Devils are always present so better keep yourself on guard. God bless you and I hope this helps. 🙂
 
Thanks Mariamusica for your response. That said, if this is true, that means I’ll have to end my friendship with two different people and I don’t want to do that but I will do it if that is what remaining faithful to God requires.
 
Whatever kind of relationship it is that you have with those people, I think it would be best to try to influence them and try to tell them what is going about their actions. That is being apostolic. of course, we are all not perfect for only God is perfect but we can help each other to become Holy by what is commonly known as “brotherly correction”. 🙂 Ask for the intercession of the Holy Spirit to guide you as to talk to them. Whatever happens, Pray for them. I’m with you in prayers. :blessyou:
 
Whatever kind of relationship it is that you have with those people, I think it would be best to try to influence them and try to tell them what is going about their actions. That is being apostolic. of course, we are all not perfect for only God is perfect but we can help each other to become Holy by what is commonly known as “brotherly correction”. 🙂 Ask for the intercession of the Holy Spirit to guide you as to talk to them. Whatever happens, Pray for them. I’m with you in prayers. :blessyou:
Thanks Mariamusica. I appreciate it. 🙂 The only problem is that these two people are not Christian. I have tried to witness to the one person only to receive hostility in return. As for the other, I haven’t tried to witness to them because I just met them yesterday.
 
Its stated in the Act of Contrition. Comes down to temptation and acting off it. Should be thought of in terms of progress not immediate perfection. Not an easy task in particular when vice turns to habit.

Thus to acknowledge this is the first step to correct it.
 
I see. I think that is an everyday struggle for us. I myself too have similar problem with yours. 🙂 But I believe that if God has able to work on us, He will too on our families and friends. We just need to constantly act according to His word and keep on putting our faith in Him. Let us continuously pray. 👍
 
I see. I think that is an everyday struggle for us. I myself too have similar problem with yours. 🙂 But I believe that if God has able to work on us, He will too on our families and friends. We just need to constantly act according to His word and keep on putting our faith in Him. Let us continuously pray. 👍
Thanks Mariamusica. 🙂 I agree that we need to constantly act according to His word and keep on putting our faith Him. To me, that means obeying what the Church says to do and nurturing my own spiritual life with prayer, spiritual reading, going to Mass, and things like that.
 
We should hate and avoid sin as one hates and avoids a poison that would cause death.

We may not grieve over the death of our soul as we do over the death of a friend, and yet our sorrow may be true; because the sorrow for sin comes more from our reason than from our feelings.

Choosing to sin as a result of free will must be overcome when we recognize the occasion to sin. We must rely upon faith, prayer, and patience to think about how we will act in a daily situation; though it is easier said than done.

This may also help in understanding it.

newadvent.org/cathen/11196a.htm
 
Hi everyone. I just read that in order for a Confession to be valid, you must firmly resolve not to allow yourself into near occasions of sin and that this means that you must avoid people whom might cause you to sin. Is this true? I had no idea that it was necessary to avoid near occasions of sin? Also, if a person has caused me to sin in the past does that mean that I must never go near them again? I sincerely hope not. I feel as though I am strong enough to not let these people influence me to sin again.
Holly, as you already struggle with scrupulosity, you need to seek spiritual direction from your priest not the internet. And, make sure you are using an examination of conscience your PRIEST approves and has gone over with you so that you do not so readily misconstrue its contents.

You are grossly exaggerating what this examination is saying and worrying over your associations. You need to bring this to your priest for guidance.

In essenc, what this is saying is that you must sincerely try to avoid those situations that for you tempt you beyond your ability to resist. For example, an alcoholic should not put himself in the situation of being in a bar. For someone who is not an alcholoic, but perhaps one time imbibed too much, the bar is not necessarily an occasion of sin.

Same for people-- NO this is not saying you must never go near them again. Your scrupulosity is on overdrive, so please get help from your priest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top