"Baby Food" topic, part II - Successful Novenas?/Is suicide ever okay?

• Thread starter Thread starter vatoco6
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vatoco6

Thank you, Stephen Maguire and beng and all who replied to my post on novenas.

I should have been more specific.

Are there any novenas that are known not to fail? I have said Rosary after Rosary, and a novena to St. Therese as well. The answer must have been “no”, even though I received the sign of roses I requested some time ago.

I know I can’t blackmail God. (Oral Roberts already tried that. Sheesh. :rolleyes: )

And is suicide ever considered appropriate? Does God ever want us to self-destruct?

Due to too many flames for my taste on these forums, I will discuss details only in a PM.

Thanks,

Therese

Suicide is a mortal sin and can never be appropriate. In the case of mental illness or when a person is not be in his right mind the sin may not be unforgivable, but even then it would not be what we could call appropriate.

Suicide of premeditation in the sense of murdering oneself is always a Grave sin.

Now “suicide” by omission can be legitimate for certain reasons. Using a living will, refusing to take certain medical procedures for terminal illness, martyrdom these can be licit. But these are also not defined as “suicide”. But other forms of “suicide” by omission, such as habitual smoking, habitual serious bad health habits, using recreational drugs, unsafe driving habits can be a sin, but not always Grave though.

40.png
vatoco6:
I know I can’t blackmail God. (Oral Roberts already tried that. Sheesh. :rolleyes: )
Wasn’t that the other way around – didn’t God blackmail Oral Roberts? Something like: “get me X amount money or it’s your life.”

Hi T,

Novenas are always successful. You may not see the success of them immediately

But they are always answered. You hit the nail, however, that the answer could be “no, not now”, “no, I have something better in mind than you can imagine”, “ in time, but I need to get you prepared for what you are asking”. You said you received your answer of roses. Be assured that Heaven has heard you, now you need to wait.

The waiting is the most painful part. But sometimes God has so many things He needs to orchestrate, in a way that only He can. And God loves to surprise you – when you least expect and in a way that you may not expect as well.

Don’t give up on saying your novenas or the rosary. Keep right on with a new one, like a brand new day. Have faith that God’s surprise is coming any day now. God is never late but He is never early!

Hang in there, T. With faith, things will turn for the good, because God will turn your tears into dancing as He has promised for those to cling to Him.

And MOST OF ALL, my prayers are with you. Please know that.

Catechism section on suicide, search for suicide on this page.
CCC 2280-2283:
Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back