Baby talking (has it happened to you?)

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulV
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaulV

Before I begin, this is not a problem.
This happened when my niece was 1 year old; I was playing with her, and then she led me to her toys and said to me, clearly: ‘Let’s play’. She was so happy! But around this time, she couldn’t speak a word yet, and wasn’t going to do it (slowly) until she was more than 2. Wow!
Has it ever happened to you in your parenting experiences? If so, what do you think?

Yes, it’s normal. My kids have been all over the map for walking and talking. Sometimes they say or do something and then it goes away for a while. Are you concerned?

Last edited:
Our younger son had a difficult birth, and we were told that he likely would be retarded (that word was still in use at that time). It was a long time (about 2 years) before he started talking, but when he did, it was in complete, complex sentences. I guess he just didn’t have anything to say before then. He now has two degrees and is a productive adult.

D

Not weird. Sometimes progress is uneven. One year olds are usually just imitating sounds: sometimes they really nail the imitation; sometimes it sounds like gibberish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back