What’s the difference between baroque and classical music? I understand it’s the era difference. But when it’s Bach, people generally say ‘it’s classical music’.
I read a comparison once between two Roman orators – when the first one spoke men praised his eloquence but when the second one spoke men said “Let us march”.
That’s how I feel about Baroque & Romantic music. Bach is so perfect I suspect he was a computer but Beethoven moves my soul.
I used to feel that way, but not any more. Bach was somewhat of an acquired taste for me–I never disliked him but when I was younger he didn’t do that much for me. Now I agree with my wife that Bach’s music is a major argument for the existence of God. You hear the harmony of the universe in it. I find this incredibly moving. I still love Beethoven and the Romantics, mind you, but if I had to choose between Bach and Beethoven (I’m very happy that I don’t) I’d choose Bach without question.
How he’s played does make a lot of difference. As another poster said, many people are purists and think that if you use any techniques or dynamics that were not in use in the Baroque era, you’re somehow ruining the music. And that can put a lot of folks off Bach. He doesn’t have to be cold–it’s just that many people play him that way.
What’s the difference between baroque and classical music? I understand it’s the era difference. But when it’s Bach, people generally say ‘it’s classical music’.
DISCLAIMER: Catholic Answers has turned over the archive to Catholic-Questions.org and no longer owns, manages, or moderates the forums. For additional apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.