Bachelor's degree seminaries

• Thread starter Thread starter BrooklynBoy200
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrooklynBoy200

I’ve been researching seminaries, and pretty much all of them offer master degrees. Are seminaries allowed to offer Bachelor’s degrees? Like, one you can enter right when you graduate high school? And if so, does anyone know of one?

I’ve been researching seminaries, and pretty much all of them offer master degrees. Are seminaries allowed to offer Bachelor’s degrees? Like, one you can enter right when you graduate high school? And if so, does anyone know of one?
Most diocese will send you to “seminary-college” or “minor seminary” to complete your BA so that you can enter into the theology program to get your masters.

Other than that, you would have to ask each order you are interested in if they will pay for/send you to minor seminary.

I do have a question about this though. I am going to a community college to get my assocaites next year, for 2 years. Am I able to enter the seminary after, and complete a BA in Graphic Design?

I do have a question about this though. I am going to a community college to get my assocaites next year, for 2 years. Am I able to enter the seminary after, and complete a BA in Graphic Design?
You can get a BA in whatever you want. Then you will get your MDiv. But, make sure you have enough undergrad credits of philosophy. I forget what it is now - something silly like 30, plus 12 credit hours of undergrad theology. It almost forces you to major in philosophy, or use all of your electives for philosophy classes.

But, if the diocese sends you to college, it might be hard to schedule that course load (graphic design) because they will have you at Mass every morning, praying the divine office, and a host of other things. From what I understand, minor seminary is focused around finished your studies so you can get to the real thing, but they still put you in the envionment to foster your vocation. (And the question may come up more than once - Why graphic design? For your parish webpage? :P)

Best thing to do is ask your vocation director. Then take a trip to the college they would send you to, go to the seminarian’s house and ask around. See what the schedule is like, etc.

Depends upon the seminary program. Some are designed more specifically with the idea of getting you ready for the priesthood. There wouldn’t be the opportunity to study of get a degree in something like graphic design. Other college seminaries collaborate with major universities and you can basically get your degree in whatever you like as long as you also finish all of the philosophy/theology requirements that they set out for you.

There’s one serving the dioceses of Brooklyn and Rockville Centre, although it also trains men for other “client” dioceses:

Cathedral Seminary Residence of the Immaculate Conception
7200 Douglaston Pkwy
Douglaston, NY
11362-1941

Phone: 719-229-8001

From what I know it’s an excellent seminary.

You can get a BA in whatever you want. Then you will get your MDiv. But, make sure you have enough undergrad credits of philosophy. I forget what it is now - something silly like 30, plus 12 credit hours of undergrad theology. It almost forces you to major in philosophy, or use all of your electives for philosophy classes.

But, if the diocese sends you to college, it might be hard to schedule that course load (graphic design) because they will have you at Mass every morning, praying the divine office, and a host of other things. From what I understand, minor seminary is focused around finished your studies so you can get to the real thing, but they still put you in the envionment to foster your vocation. (And the question may come up more than once - Why graphic design? For your parish webpage? :P)

Best thing to do is ask your vocation director. Then take a trip to the college they would send you to, go to the seminarian’s house and ask around. See what the schedule is like, etc.
What if you got a BA from another accredited Bible College, Christian, but not Catholic? Does that count? And do all priests have a Masters? :confused:

What if you got a BA from another accredited Bible College, Christian, but not Catholic? Does that count? And do all priests have a Masters? :confused:
You can even get a BA from a secular college. But you have to have 30 hours philosophy and 12 hours of theology before you can begin your first year of theology in seminary. So, even if you have a BA, you may have to spend a year in “pre-theology” if you do not meet those requirements.

I don’t want to say “all priests have Masters” because some seminaries like the FSSP do not grant degrees. But yes, priests generally carry a Masters of Divinity.

Unless you’re entering a seminary you can trust with complete assurances (and there aren’t many), my strong advice is to pursue a solid Bachelor of Arts degree at a reputable college.

It’s true they now have an ill-conceived rule about Philosophy credits. I say ill-conceived because, for example, at one school I know of, the college seminarians are majoring in “Philosophical Letters”, not “Philosophy”. The difference? The former program is significantly easier academically, and doesn’t require the senior thesis the other major requires. In other words, it’s academically less rigorous.

The main problem in seminary education today is lack of academic rigor.

Get a decent degree. Major in Classics. Once you get to the stage of worrying about credits, they’ll probably make you take a year of Philosophy somewhere.

Seattle sends its undergrads to Mt Angel in Oregon, or Bishop White (wchih as you know is the best minor seminary ever!) in Spokane

The Vocations Director in my Diocese informed me that the colleges in Rome (eg English College etc.) do not have the same degree system at all as in the English-speaking world. Instead they offer Licentiates. So not all seminaries offer just Masters’ degrees.

I do not know if you could be sent to the North American College in Rome, but I would have thought your Diocesan Vocations Director would have all the answers to these questions.

May God guide you in his path.

My understanding of the american major semianries is that one always gets a Masters of Divinity but will most likely concurrently earn another degree (often pontifical) like a STB, STL, or JCL

Just as a quick note from someone who is a current undergraduate student, the 30 hours of philosophy and 12 hours of theology sounds like a near impossibility for a single academic year if it is done in a rigorous manner.

I wonder, if people who go through just the pre-theology program at a minor seminary receive any sort of academic degree or certification? I know some universities will grant a second bachelor’s degree (not to be confused with a second major) in less than 42 credit hours.

Just as a quick note from someone who is a current undergraduate student, the 30 hours of philosophy and 12 hours of theology sounds like a near impossibility for a single academic year if it is done in a rigorous manner.

I wonder, if people who go through just the pre-theology program at a minor seminary receive any sort of academic degree or certification? I know some universities will grant a second bachelor’s degree (not to be confused with a second major) in less than 42 credit hours.
Well, minor seminary is just another term for your undergrad, so of course you get a degree.

But, as far as I know, if you already have a BA, the pre-theology programs are just to prep you for seminary. No idea if you get any kind of certification for it. They let you start your first year of theology, so I suppose that is something. 😛

And yeah, it is better to try and knock out the requirements while you are getting your degree in whatever. (Use all your electives for theology and philosophy) Because it would kind of get me down to have to wait an extra year or two to start seminary. Or maybe it wouldn’t. Who knows? I am still in college working on my philosophy degree so I can’t really say.

Well, minor seminary is just another term for your undergrad, so of course you get a degree.
Well, not quite. “Minor seminary” refers to any program which is at a level that is not a formal part of a “major seminary”. But a “major seminary” program can be any number of things. At one time, they regularly included both philosophical and theological studies. Some still do. Others are now primarily theologates, with perhaps programs for lay people, deacons, and “pre-seminarians”. So some philosophical programs at seminaries have courses which may or may not lead to a form of bachelors degree from the seminary college and may or may not have transferable credits if you drop out and then begin to attend another university. In years past (and still, really, does) the term “minor seminary” was applied to (and more frequently refered to) a high school level program. Though in contemporary times, yes, “minor seminary” now more often refers to a college level seminary program.

This might have been suggested already, but perhaps you should speak to Fr. Sweeney, the vocations director for the Brooklyn Diocese (i.e. if it is your home diocese). He’s a top-notch priest and he’ll lay down all the options that you could take if you are discerning a call to the priesthood.

One possibility is entering the collegiate seminary in Douglaston (Queens) for your bachelor’s degree. Another possibility is pursuing your bachelor’s at another school and later entering the pre-theology program.

Five words: St. John Vianney College Seminary.

Online at www.vianney.net
A national reputation for Excellence and Fidelity.
Saint John Vianney College Seminary has a clear mission - to provide basic training today for tomorrow’s Catholic priests. We pursue this mission through the first-class academic resources of the University of Saint Thomas, through a systematic formation in Christian character, and through a traditional Catholic program of spiritual growth. We are Catholic, and proud of it!

At Saint John Vianney and the University of Saint Thomas, nearly 150 seminarians gain an outstanding foundation in Philosophy and Theology. A four-year program of spiritual conferences and individual spiritual direction help seminarians grow strong in their Catholic faith and vocational discernment.

A great Seminary. A great University.

Saint John Vianney College Seminary is located on the campus of the University of Saint Thomas, near the banks of the Mississippi River in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

Since our founding in 1968, 322 Vianney alumni have been ordained to the Catholic priesthood.

However, seminarians don’t need to be sure about priesthood to enter seminary. They only need to be sure about devoting their gifts and energy to God’s will for their future.

And they have a great time doing it! Intramural sports. Service projects. Extracurricular activities with other students on campus, together with the educational and financial aid resources of the University of Saint Thomas. They receive a full college and seminary experience at Vianney.

More than twenty-five Catholic dioceses and archdioceses from throughout the United States send their college seminarians to Saint John Vianney. They have come to trust our academic rigor, our sound formation program, and our faithfulness to the teachings of the Church. You will have the privilege of growing closer to Jesus Christ through daily Mass, Eucharistic Adoration, retreats, and personal prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back