Baptism agreements

  • Thread starter Thread starter nhylan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nhylan

Guest
If my wife (who is Catholic) and I would like to have our children baptized in the RCC. Explicitly speaking what do we as parents need to promise in order to have our children baptized? Its not that I want a work around, I want to make sure I can have my child baptized as a Catholic and be intellectually honest about it.
Thanks
 
If my wife (who is Catholic) and I would like to have our children baptized in the RCC. Explicitly speaking what do we as parents need to promise in order to have our children baptized? Its not that I want a work around, I want to make sure I can have my child baptized as a Catholic and be intellectually honest about it.
Thanks
You will need to promise to raise them Catholic.
 
If my wife (who is Catholic) and I would like to have our children baptized in the RCC. Explicitly speaking what do we as parents need to promise in order to have our children baptized? Its not that I want a work around, I want to make sure I can have my child baptized as a Catholic and be intellectually honest about it.
Thanks
The Catholic getting married is the one who would make any promise.

From Canon Law:

1/ the Catholic party is to declare that he or she is prepared to remove dangers of defecting from the faith and is to make a sincere promise to do all in his or her power so that all offspring are baptized and brought up in the Catholic Church;

2/ the other party is to be informed at an appropriate time about the promises which the Catholic party is to make, in such a way that it is certain that he or she is truly aware of the promise and obligation of the Catholic party;
 
Not sure I follow but…

Basically the Children will be Catholics and are thus to profess and live the Catholic Faith…raised thus within the Faith.
 
If my wife (who is Catholic) and I would like to have our children baptized in the RCC. Explicitly speaking what do we as parents need to promise in order to have our children baptized? Its not that I want a work around, I want to make sure I can have my child baptized as a Catholic and be intellectually honest about it.
Thanks
A Catholic is bound to raise their children Catholic. You should support your wife to do that.
 
A Catholic is bound to raise their children Catholic. You should support your wife to do that.
That’s not quite how they put it but I know what you mean. From an intellectual standpoint I see no difference as far as salvation is concerned whether our child is raised Catholic or Anglican, so I have no problem raising our children as Catholic. I realize that’s not how Rome sees it but that’s how the ball bounces.
 
As has been said, if you have your child baptized in the Catholic Church you are promising to raise your child Catholic. From an intellectual standpoint I can see that there is only one true Church that was founded by Christ. You would have to agree that either the Anglican or the Catholic Church is that true Church. They both cannot be the fullness of truth… so… it’s not “how Rome sees it” or “that’s the way the ball bounces”. It’s based on truth and that is what you are promising God when you baptize your child in whatever Christian faith you choose . It is saying that you believe that you are giving your child the fullness of God’s truth in the Church that His Son founded. So when your child is baptized in the Catholic Church you are promising to raise that child Catholic whether you are there or not. If you are not there then your wife and the godparents will have to take that role and you can guide your child in all of the areas that do not conflict with Catholicism. This post may seem like a hard pill to swallow but the Catholic Church is not just as good as any. It is union with the very magesterium that acknowledged the canonicity of the New Testament and maintained true apostolic succession. Now if you believe that the Anglican Church maintained true apostolic succession even though you are not under the authority of Rome then so be it. But ultimately one Church is not following the true successor of Saint Peter. Once authority has been altered then so can the message…teachccd
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top