I am sort of in the same boat. I was baptized in a First Christian Church at age 11. I chose to be, but did it because I felt like I “was supposed to”. I remember feeling nothing about it. It seemed more like a rite of passage than anything. You could say that I didn’t really understand the whole meaning of it. Years later as an adult, I felt like I needed a more “valid” baptism. I talked with my pastor and explained how I didn’t feel that my baptism was valid, as I felt like I had just gone through the motions. So I asked to be baptized again since I know knew what it meant and was ready to really live as a Christian. I had also backslid as a Christian in my teen years until around age 25, so I felt like I needed to start anew with a real sense of repentance and forgiveness.
I feel like my 2nd baptism was more valid to me, personally, bc/ I understood better what forgiveness, sin, and being a Christian stood for (in a Protestant sense). While the CC recognizes 1 baptism, it’s not uncommon for some Protestants to be baptized twice if they didn’t feel like they really understood what it was about the 1st time around, which therefore makes it invalid since baptism to us means a conscience decision to repent, accept Jesus as your savior, and identify yourself as a Christian. I have heard of other people (various denominations) who also felt this way. I guess that’s why many Protestants encourage baptism at older ages so they don’t second guess it and feel confident they understand it.
And of course, since baptism is viewed by most Protestant churches in a different way than the Catholic church, I think it would just be clearer to be properly baptized in the Catholic church upon converting. However, I have been told the CC holds any baptism valid as long as it’s done in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, no matter who performs it.
If I choose to convert this year after completing RCIA, I feel conflicted, too, on which baptism to “use” as my real one. If having full knowledge and consent doesn’t matter to the CC, then my first one at age 11 is valid. If it’s the one that I feel meant something, the 2nd one is okay. So I don’t know which one I’d have to confess as far back to, either.
I am pretty confused about it, I admit.