Baptism of the Holy Spirit???

• Thread starter Thread starter raygan77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

raygan77

I cannot find any Church teaching on the “Baptism of the Holy Spirit” that my charismatic group uses. What does this mean?

Since according to our catechism, we become temples of the Holy Spirit during the sacraments of initiation such as baptism
“Baptism not only purifies from all sins, but also makes the neophyte ‘a new creature’, an adopted son of God, who has become a ‘partaker of the divine nature,’ member of Christ and co-heir with him, and a temple of the Holy Spirit. CCC1265

:bible1: “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and the Holy Spirit.” John 3:5

I’m not sure what your charismatic group means, but the Church teaching is that the Sacrament of Baptism* is* baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is the only baptism we teach, for as we say in the Nicene Creed, “We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.”

I found (and slightly paraphrased) a definition of Baptism of the Holy Spirit posted on a Catholic charismatic web site. Here it is:

“…It is the RELEASE of the POWER of the Holy Spirit already within US that we received by faith at our Confirmation, and now in our experience, to enable us to live the Christian life we want to live but had only been partially successful in doing. We will begin to experience a new ability to appreciate Jesus, the Bible, our daily prayer life, and our faith through this living experience…”

I might point out this is not an official Church teaching. The term Baptism of the Holy Spirit appears to be a euphemism for certain consolations received at prayer. Dr. C is right about the Sacrament of Baptism. Hope this is helpful. Peace and blessings.

If this description is similar to your charismatic group, it seems to be in keeping with Catholic theology in general (i.e., it’s not some sort of heresy or sacrilege), but referring to it as “baptism” is terribly misleading at best.

Dr. Colossus:
If this description is similar to your charismatic group, it seems to be in keeping with Catholic theology in general (i.e., it’s not some sort of heresy or sacrilege), but referring to it as “baptism” is terribly misleading at best.
Indeed… they use the term in my charismatic group as well. Very misleading and confusing. Although I do advice others that a better term/description would be “…being filled with the Holy Spirit”. I always argue that there is ONE Baptism. :gopray2:

Here is a link that might be helpful: hasnehmedia.com/books.htm

Rev. Prof. Francis Martin writes of baptism in the Holy Spirit from a profound knowledge of sacred scripture. He received his licentiate in Sacred Theology form St. Thomas University in Rome and his Doctorate in Sacred Scripture from the Pontifical Biblical Institute, also in Rome. Fr. Francis is a priest of the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. where he is chaplain of the Mother of God Community. He is professor of Biblical studies at the John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family.

He begins his explanation: “Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a revelation made by the Holy Spirit to the spirit of the believer that Jesus Christ is Lord, co-equal Son with the Father, living in majesty with the Father, the Head of His Body and actively present within the life of each believer.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back