Beatification of the Bl. John Duns Scotus?

• Thread starter Thread starter Magnanimity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Magnanimity

I read a book recently by Allan Wolter, OFM, entitled John Duns Scotus: Mary’s Architect. It was very interesting as a lead in to the historical debate over the Immaculate Conception of the Bl. Virgin.

I wonder if anyone here know whether John Duns Scotus has been canonized as a saint. The authors in the book refer to his “beatification” recently by Pope John Paul II, I think. They said the only thing now required is that a miracle be substantiated at his intercession to move him from Blessed to Saint. Is this correct? Has he been made a saint yet? What about websites or publications out there that keep updated lists of all the saints?

Thanks!

40.png
Magnanimity:
I read a book recently by Allan Wolter, OFM, entitled John Duns Scotus: Mary’s Architect.

I wonder if anyone here know whether John Duns Scotus has been canonized as a saint.
Not that I can find. So far his cause still needs a miracle as he died of natural causes. That could take sometime to verify and move his cause forward.
40.png
Magnanimity:
The authors in the book refer to his “beatification” recently by Pope John Paul II, I think. They said the only thing now required is that a miracle be substantiated at his intercession to move him from Blessed to Saint. Is this correct? Has he been made a saint yet? What about websites or publications out there that keep updated lists of all the saints?

Thanks!
Yes to all of the above. John Paul beatified him in 1993. Here are some usful websites and information on his cause and his life.

beatification

BLESSED JOHN DUNS SCOTUS

Holy Persons Organization website

40.png
Marie:
Not that I can find. So far his cause still needs a miracle as he died of natural causes. That could take sometime to verify and move his cause forward.

Yes to all of the above. John Paul beatified him in 1993. Here are some usful websites and information on his cause and his life.
Wow, thanks a lot Marie. I thought my thread here was also going to die of natural causes. Please forgive my ignorance of these things, but I’ve one more question which arose from your reply. When you speak of, as you do twice, his “cause” what exactly are you meaning by that? It’s probably just language with which I’m unfamiliar since I’m a very new Catholic. Will you help me understand that concept of his having a “cause” in the light of his beatification and move toward sainthood? Thanks again.

Your questions are quite wonderful and I am happy to assist a fellow Catholic in the Journey of faith.

Here are the official canonical procedure for causes of beatification and canonization:

Cause is the technical Canon Law term for investigating the life of a person who many think is a Saint. It is a long process.

"1. Canon norms for causes of saints are contained in the Apostolic Constitution ‘Divinus Perfectionis Magister’.

"2. To begin a cause it is necessary for at least 5 years to have passed since the death of the candidate.

"3. The bishop of the diocese in which the person whose beatification is being requested died is responsible for beginning the investigation. The promoter group (‘Actor Causae’): diocese, parish, religious congregation, association, asks the bishop through the postulator for the opening of the investigation. The bishop, once the ‘nulla osta’ of the Holy See is obtained, forms a diocesan tribunal for this purpose. Witnesses are called before the tribunal to recount concrete facts on the exercise of Christian virtues considered heroic, (theological virtues: faith, hope and charity, and the cardinal virtues: prudence, justice, temperance and fortitude) In addition, all documents regarding the candidate must be gathered. At this point he is entitled to the title of Servant of God.

"4. Once the diocesan investigation is finished, the acts and documentation are passed on to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints. The public copy used for further work is put together here. The postulator, resident in Rome, follows the preparation of the ‘Positio’, or summary of the documentation that proves the heroic exercise of virtue, under the direction of a relator of the Congregation. The ‘Positio’ undergoes an examination (theological) by nine theologians who give their vote. If the majority of the theologians are in favour, the cause is passed on for examination by cardinals and bishops who are members of the congregation.If their judgment is favourable, the prefect of the congregation presents the results of the entire course of the cause to the Holy Father, who gives his approval and authorizes the congregation to draft the relative decree.

"5. For the beatification of a confessor a miracle attributed to the Servant of God, verified after his death, is necessary. The required miracle must be proven through the appropriate canonical investigation, following a procedure analogous to that for heroic virtues. Once the two decrees are promulgated (regarding the heroic virtues and the miracle) the Holy Father decides on beatification and title of Blessed.

"6. For canonization another miracle is needed, attributed to the intercession of the Blessed and having occurred after his beatification.

Wow, thanks a lot Marie. You are a lot of help. May I ask the source of the quotes you give. I don’t see that you list it. You say Canon Law, but how does one access this canon law? Is it available in book format or online somewhere?

Thanks again.

40.png
Magnanimity:
Wow, thanks a lot Marie. You are a lot of help. May I ask the source of the quotes you give. I don’t see that you list it. You say Canon Law, but how does one access this canon law? Is it available in book format or online somewhere?

Thanks again.
The sources are a bunch all boiled down in short form by me. Here are some of the sources with longer more detailed information.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

Apostolic Constitution* ‘Divinus Perfectionis Magister’. *

Classic Philosophers

Franciscan Archives

Code of Canon Law

No, John Duns Scotus is still a blessed. Check out this site, I am sure you will find it informative.

neewsaints.faithweb.com

Also, the book you are interested in is called the "Index de Actis Sanctorum and is available from the Sacred Causes of Saints for $50. (not including postage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back