Best Mortification For Lent

• Thread starter Thread starter virtueworks
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

virtueworks

Could you suggest some mortifications or sacrifices for lent, suited for lay, ordinary people?

Here are some things I think about:
  • what are some of the temptations I fall to and feel the worst about, that they are sins against God, that I will make a special focused commitment to end once and for all?
  • what can I do to more proactively grow my faith? (scripture, other readings, Church service, volunteer work, charitable work, assiting those in need)
  • are there some personal things I can do since my body is rightly God’s, and I am to take care of it? (exercise, lose weight, stop smoking, nasty habits like biting fingernails, etc. etc.)
    -are there thing(s) I can do to improve/build upon/enhance my prayer with God? (LOH, read a good book on prayer and implement some suggestions)

Last year I gave up listening to music in the car. I instead used that silent time for prayer and reflection. It was incredible! I think I’m going to do the same again this year.

One simple thing I give up is cream and sugar in my coffee. For me, this is a sacrifice. I really like coffee, but without all this extras it takes gross to me:p . So it’s a double mortification because I not only give up something I like, but I instead do something I don’t like! And it saves me from having to repeat “Oh, I can’t have that because I gave it up.”

White Dove, already the seed was planted that I should give up the internet.:eek: I like your opinions on other things, so maybe God’s using you to speak to me. (hey–they don’t have a smiley with it’s fingers in it’s ears.)

Ask your confessor - they can often provide excellent suggestions particularly suited to the individual.

40.png
WhiteDove:
Give up the internet. 🙂
Oh, my goodness! :bigyikes: WhiteDove, I don’t know if I could do this yet!! :crying: I would miss all of you too much!! 👋

40.png
gardenswithkids:
White Dove, already the seed was planted that I should give up the internet.:eek: I like your opinions on other things, so maybe God’s using you to speak to me. (hey–they don’t have a smiley with it’s fingers in it’s ears.)
:o How nice of you to say so! Music to my ears… 🙂

(The smilie with the wings should be here, it’s a CAF smilie :angel1: :angel1: :angel1: :angel1: )

40.png
NightRider:
Oh, my goodness! :bigyikes: WhiteDove, I don’t know if I could do this yet!! :crying: I would miss all of you too much!! 👋
We can get together in real time. Ride a White Horse (Of Columbia Gorge fame) and I have decided to give up posting for Lent except for Sundays… 🙂

40.png
WhiteDove:
We can get together in real time. Ride a White Horse (Of Columbia Gorge fame) and I have decided to give up posting for Lent except for Sundays… 🙂
Wow! You two are awesome! I think giving up posting is a real mortification, especially when it can truly be sooooo tempting! I’m sure that giving it up for Lent will make you appreciate it even more later, ya know? You go, girls! 👍

40.png
WhiteDove:
Code:
OH…NO…Bot WhiteDove!!! You get to have real time together…how about us???

What to give up? I was told to pray before the Blessed Sacrament for one hour by my spiritual director. smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_10.gif Well, my pastor has not given me a key yet :crying: and it has been two months! So, I must try and make it when the secretary is there to be able to get into the church. Although, my work schedule is all over the map…hence, the key smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_210.gif is much needed! Then I could go anytime. The doors are always locked and when mass is finished, lock, lock, lock…

But gossip would be my first mortification… smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1100.gif

Blessings,
Shoshana

the basics, fasting, abstinence, prayer, almsgiving. 2 small meals a day, one larger meal, nothing between meals (for those whose health permits), no meat (sundays are exempt from these penitential practices). finding a way to give more, perhaps to food bank or other hunger related charity. prayer, stations, rosary, more fervent prayer, more attentive prayer, more faithfulness in prayer. increase quality, not quantity.

I’d go for little mortifications. For example, smiling at people when we don’t feel like it. And accepting cheerfullly the annoying events that come our way during the day…

Last year I gave up television. Once I started it was easy.

This year I plan to give up TV,learn to pray the Liturgy of the Hours.cut down on junk food,and start to exercise.

40.png
davidc2:
Ask your confessor - they can often provide excellent suggestions particularly suited to the individual.
David, I like this suggestion…especially since I have a regular confessor and we have the same spirituality.

Mary

40.png
davidc2:
David, I like this suggestion…especially since I have a regular confessor and we have the same spirituality.

Mary

Last year I gave up hot showers for Lent. I think I spent an hour in the shower on Easter Sunday morning.

…GUARDING THE SENSES ( EXTERNAL & INTERNAL) would be great to work on this lent.

This is my first Lent as a Catholic (well, almost-Catholic until Easter Vigil), and I decided to start with food. I’m not a professional eater, and I’m not obese, but I am a little overweight (okay, about 35-40 pounds overweight) (which is a detriment when riding my bicycle up hills), and more importantly, I do tend to run my day by when my next meal is and what I’m going to be eating. And I’m especially fond of sweet things, although I don’t consume as much of those as some people do.

So, (and without going into details) for my first Lent I decided to try to establish some control over what and how I eat and drink.

DaveBj

Lent is coming. One good mortification is not hurry in going through the liturgical season. “Alma calma”…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back