I’m a big Brian Wilson fan, so even though I don’t really like Weird Al, I do like his homage to Brian, “Pancreas”.
There are some really tough arrangements in that song. I didn’t realize that he had that much musical ability. I also like that he captured many of Wilson’s musical quirks, like the “woo-woo” train whistles that permeate “Smile”.
Big fan of Tom Lehrer and Alan Sherman.
Although much of Pinkard and Bowden’s material is X-Rated, they do have a couple of songs I like: “Guns Made America Great”, “Libyan on a Jet Plane”, and “Freeloadin’”.
A little trivia for you: Pinkard and Bowden were a part of a house band with Glen Frey, Don Henley, Randy Meisner, and Bernie Leadon. They became Linda Rondstadt’s backing band and, eventually, Frey, Henley, Meisner, and Leadon left Rondstadt to form the Eagles. Pinkard and Bowden declined the offers to join the band because they didn’t think it would go anywhere and that they could make more money writing and doing studio work.
It took about fifteen years, but they eventually had a couple of hits on country radio in the 80’s with songs like “Mama She’s Lazy” and “Driving My Wife Away”.
Ironically, in the 90’s, two former Eagles, Leadon and Meisner, formed a band called Run CnW to do parody songs, too.
The rest of the Eagles, of course, not wanting to be outdone, actually became parodies, themselves.