Best Septuigent

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrs0

Can anyone tell me what translation of the Bible is the cloest to the original Septuigent(sp)?

40.png
starrs0:
Can anyone tell me what translation of the Bible is the cloest to the original Septuigent(sp)?
The Septuagint (abbreviated LXX) is a translation itself, not the “original.” That said, there is a coalition of Eastern Orthodox scholars who are putting together a new translation from the LXX. It will be available in July of 2005. I know one of the scholars working on the project, and he is a brilliant man and with a finesse for language, so I am waiting for this translation with baited breath.

July of next year :bigyikes: I don’t wanna wait THAT long for a new Bible so any advice on a version in-print?

Hey, you know what they say: good things come to those who wait…

🙂

I’ve been thinking of getting the Douay Rheims is it as good as I hear?

I’ve read so many good things about the Douay Rheims Challoner translation of the Septuagint on this forum lately that I’m thinking of getting a copy or maybe digging out one which I probably have in the archives somewhere.

JimG

40.png
GrzeszDeL:
The Septuagint (abbreviated LXX) is a translation itself, not the “original.” That said, there is a coalition of Eastern Orthodox scholars who are putting together a new translation from the LXX. It will be available in July of 2005.
Way cool!!! Can’t wait–another one for my collection.

:bounce:

DaveBj

The Douay Version is the Old Testament with all the books of the Roman Catholic Canon. It resembles the Septuagint but is a mix of the Hebrew/Greek . Also the Septuagint has a few more books then the Douay Version.

The Rheims and Confraternity Versions are New Testaments.

Both have been translated from Latin, and are a cut above most modern versions, IMO.

james

I will be curious to see which books they choose to include. Not all Orthodox agree on which books are canonical. For instance, 4 Esdras from the Latin Vulgate appendix, aka 2 Esdras in the KJV apocrypha, aka 3 Esdras in the Slavonic Bible, is not found in the Greek Orthodox Bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back