Best song ever?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mystic_of_God
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Foggy Dew
youtube.com/watch?v=LRvSdUh3wCE&feature=related

OR

The Fields of Athenry by Dropkick Murphys no matter where they play it people love it. This is the best version that is on youtube.
youtube.com/watch?v=2O6a7MS07zs&feature=related

OR

The State of Massachusetts also by the Murphys
youtube.com/watch?v=8S2rN17G_00

Of course I will venture a guess that most people would disagree with me.🙂
While I do enjoy Dropkick Murphy in small doses, I prefer my Fields a little less noisy and more traditional sounding. It one of my favorite ‘weeping songs’.
 
Would that be the long version, the very long version or the extremely long version? 🙂
Hello! It’s the 33 minute version from an album. I know they have longer ones on cd. I first heard Coltrane in '70 while taking a jazz appreciation class in college and have loved his music since then.

John
 
I have Paul Butterfield’s “East West " album and saw him minus Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop at The Troubador” (West Hollywood) in the mid 70’s. Oh, caught Mike Bloomfield in Berkeley and loved his version of “Linda Lou.”

Also, saw the Mahavishnu Orchestra in Berkeley, Ca. in the 70’s. Dittos with “Weather Report.”

Talk about “W.R.” Wayne Shorter is stepping out with his latest 2 CD’s “Footprints” and “Alegria.” He is in his 70’s and is better than ever.

John
 
While I do enjoy Dropkick Murphy in small doses, I prefer my Fields a little less noisy and more traditional sounding. It one of my favorite ‘weeping songs’.
Ya know as long as Athenry is played with some bagpipes I love it…but I heard a version, I think by the Dubliners, that had no pipes and it just didn’t grab me.

Hmmm…for a ‘weeping song’ I quite like The Band Played Waltzing Matilda by the Pogues, Spancil Hill by the Dubliners is good too. We Irish are quite good with the sad songs, as I’m sure you all know.🙂
 
Hello! It’s the 33 minute version from an album. I know they have longer ones on cd. I first heard Coltrane in '70 while taking a jazz appreciation class in college and have loved his music since then.

John
When I’d started at the equivalent of ‘High School’, there was a music club and, one session, a really dishy ‘Senior’ introduced us to to the works of Miles and JC. Don’t have the faintest recollection of the guy but the love affair with ‘the cool’ has never ended.
 
From Waits to Glass, a pretty familiar list on the whole.

At the moment, I’m having something of an affair with Arvo Pärt, particularly ‘Spiegel im Spiegel’ with Steve Reich and Terry Riley playing a major part in my listening as well.

I have to admit that, if there’s one song I can’t abide, it’s ‘The Fields of Athenry’, does that make me a bad person? 😉
 
Ya know as long as Athenry is played with some bagpipes I love it…but I heard a version, I think by the Dubliners, that had no pipes and it just didn’t grab me.

Hmmm…for a ‘weeping song’ I quite like The Band Played Waltzing Matilda by the Pogues, Spancil Hill by the Dubliners is good too. We Irish are quite good with the sad songs, as I’m sure you all know.🙂
I’ll never forget the first time I heard “The Band Played Waltzing Matilda”. I was driving home from the Remembrance Day Service, Nov. 11 and when it they sang the part about being in the hospital bed and seeing what the shell had done I started to sob and had to pull off to the side of the road and park until I had pulled myself together to continue driving safely.
 
Ya know as long as Athenry is played with some bagpipes I love it…but I heard a version, I think by the Dubliners, that had no pipes and it just didn’t grab me.

Hmmm…for a ‘weeping song’ I quite like The Band Played Waltzing Matilda by the Pogues, Spancil Hill by the Dubliners is good too. We Irish are quite good with the sad songs, as I’m sure you all know.🙂
Irish schmirish - ‘And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda’ is as Australian as kangaroos - WE do the sad songs well too, y’know!

We can claim at least half the credit for ‘the Wild Colonial Boy’ for example. And all the credit for ‘I was only nineteen’ by Redgum, a brilliant weepy.
 
From Waits to Glass, a pretty familiar list on the whole.

At the moment, I’m having something of an affair with Arvo Pärt, particularly ‘Spiegel im Spiegel’ with Steve Reich and Terry Riley playing a major part in my listening as well.

I have to admit that, if there’s one song I can’t abide, it’s ‘The Fields of Athenry’, does that make me a bad person? 😉
Arvo Part is really, really great. I wish he were better known.
 
Irish schmirish - ‘And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda’ is as Australian as kangaroos - WE do the sad songs well too, y’know!

We can claim at least half the credit for ‘the Wild Colonial Boy’ for example. And all the credit for ‘I was only nineteen’ by Redgum, a brilliant weepy.
Well most of them are interchangeable, I hear Irish bands do Australian songs and vice versa all the time, the Penal colony and all. I haven’t heard I Was Only Nineteen, I’ll have to look that up.

What about Black Velvet Band? Now that song I love.
 
I have to do this by genre:
Rock: Steppenwolf: Born to be Wild Jimmy Hendricks: Purple Haze
Classic Rock: Buddy Holly: Peggy Sue Agree
Surf: The Beach Boys: Barbara Ann Jan and Dean: Little Old Lady From Pasedena
Bossa Nova: Astrud Gilberto: The Girl from Ipanema Agree
Pop Vocal (female): Peggy Lee: Fever Lesley Gore: You Don’t Own Me
Pop Vocal (male): Sinatra: I’ve Got You Under My Skin Nat King Cole: Unforgettable
Pop Instrumental: The Theme from Peter Gunn Just about any Paul Muriat
Big Band: Benny Goodman: Sing, Sing, Sing Agree with Benny Goodman but prefer Moonglow with Lionel Hampton
Cajun: Beausoleil: Sophie
Motown: Otis Reading: Sitting on the Dock of the Bay Percy Sledge: When a Man Loves A Woman
Musical: (from Porgy and Bess) Summertime Too Many To Choose From
Jazz: (any version): St. Louis Blues or Take Five (a tie!) AGREE!!!
One Hit Wonder: The Standells: Dirty Water
Rhythm & Blues: Ray Charles: What’d I Say?
Country: Walkin’ After Midnight
Clever Lyrics: Tom Lehrer: The Element Song or New Math
Our age is showing:D
 
Pop/Rock:
-I Want It All by Queen
-Learn to Fly by Pink Floyd
-Keep Holding On by Avril Lavigne
-May It Be (of the LOTR 1 soundtrack) by Enya

Classical Music:
-Ave Maria by Schubert
-Allelluia (of “The Messiah”) by Handel
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top