Best way to start reading the bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter onestepatatime
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

onestepatatime

Guest
Help me please. i am a craddle catholic. i go to mass on sundays and confession regurlarly but i feel that i need to do more and dont know exactly what it is i should be doing
i do want to begin by reading the bible.
what is the best way or what would be a good bible study guide?
 
Keep going to Mass on Sundays, and perhaps to weekday Masses if you can. That way the Priest can help you understand scripture in the Liturgy of the Word. Second, order ‘Pondering the Word: The Anawim Way’. anawim.com/pondering.html
It says on the website they only do it in emails, but our parish orders them in books. Perhaps email them to find out. Thirdly, enroll for RCIA as an already confirmed Catholic (if you already are) and go through it just to find out more about the Catholic Faith.

God Bless.
 
I have made a site to help fellow catholics

everycatholicblog.blogspot.com/

In there you can get many resources for free to help you to learn about the faith. I have also have free bibles, and recommendations. Read some saints books to get you started.

The Diary of St. Faustina Kowalska - Divine Mercy in My Soul is a good start.

It is available online and for free
saintsworks.net/books/St.%20Faustina%20Kowalska%20-%20Diary.pdf

Read the Imitation of Christ, it is a favorite book for many saints
saintsworks.net/books/Thomas%20a%20Kempis%20-%20The%20Imitation%20of%20Christ.pdf

You can find many saints books for free in this site
saintsbookscatechisms.blogspot.com/

And for the bible recommendations, I suggest you Douay Rheims Catholic Bible.
drbo.org/
catholicholybible.blogspot.com/

May the merciful Jesus bless you:)

Best way to start reading the bible is using a method called Lectio Divina
valyermo.com/ld-art.html
fisheaters.com/lectiodivina.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectio_Divina

Go to confession frequently (weekly, every fortnight, monthly), have regular confessors (can be as many as 4). Do not lightly change your confessor except there is something seriously wrong with him. Choose your confessors carefully, choose one that is holy and lead a good life. A bad confessor can lead you astray.

A recommendation to read - Life of St Dominic Savio, by St. Don Bosco. (it is available online and for free)
saintsbooks.net/books/St.%20John%20Bosco%20-%20The%20Life%20of%20Dominic%20Savio.rtf
 
When I had a major re-conversion, only through the workings of the Holy Spirit, I was thirsting for answers and was driven to begin reading the Bible as the Word of God. No on e told me to do it, except the HS. I purchased a Bible at a local Catholic bookstore and sat down to read it. The first time through, I read it as if there was nothing else that mattered. I began at Genesis and read the Bible through from page one to the end of Revelations . I would get up a couple hours early each morning and pray the prayer to the Holy Spirit and then read for at least two hours per day. During this time, my faith began to grow and grow, I started going to Mass everyday before work, making a confession every week or two at most, and praying a daily rosary. I was literally on fire. That was years ago and I still am on fire for the Lord! There is really no “right way” to read the Bible. The important thing is “Just DO IT!” Don’t make it complicated, don’t stress about “the right way” to do it…Just DO IT! You will understand yourself, your faith and be in closer contact with the Creator. :getholy:
 
Here are some tips:
  • Get a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. (learn the 4 senses of scripture)
  • Get a good translation of the bible, I use RSV-CE2
  • watch Jeff Cavins great adventure timeline so you can become familiar with the big picture first.
  • Listen to as many scott hahn cps/mp3s as you can.
  • Don’t worry if you come across some strange passages, there is always an answer.
  • Pray continually to God and ask him to open your mind, to understand his word.
  • Thank God continually when he does reveal things to you.
  • Invoke the intercession of great scholars such as St. Jerome, St Ambrose & St Augustine.
  • Always be humble and submit to the authority of the Church, and stay within the boundaries laid out by the Church. Jesus established the Church and the Holy Spirit is guiding her into all truth (Matt 16:18-19, John 14:16, 26, 16:13). The Church is the pillar and bulwark of truth (1 Tim 3:15), she speaks with the voice of Christ (Luke 10:16) who is with her always, until the end of the world (Matt 28:20).
A couple of good free bible study sets are:
Our Fathers Plan by Jeff Cavins and Scott Hahn.
Understanding the scriptures by Carson Weber.

I wish you all the best, and will pray for you. 👍
 
I have made a site to help fellow catholics

everycatholicblog.blogspot.com/

In there you can get many resources for free to help you to learn about the faith. I have also have free bibles, and recommendations. Read some saints books to get you started.

The Diary of St. Faustina Kowalska - Divine Mercy in My Soul is a good start.

It is available online and for free
saintsworks.net/books/St.%20Faustina%20Kowalska%20-%20Diary.pdf

Read the Imitation of Christ, it is a favorite book for many saints
saintsworks.net/books/Thomas%20a%20Kempis%20-%20The%20Imitation%20of%20Christ.pdf

You can find many saints books for free in this site
saintsbookscatechisms.blogspot.com/

And for the bible recommendations, I suggest you Douay Rheims Catholic Bible.
drbo.org/
catholicholybible.blogspot.com/

May the merciful Jesus bless you:)

Best way to start reading the bible is using a method called Lectio Divina
valyermo.com/ld-art.html
fisheaters.com/lectiodivina.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectio_Divina

Go to confession frequently (weekly, every fortnight, monthly), have regular confessors (can be as many as 4). Do not lightly change your confessor except there is something seriously wrong with him. Choose your confessors carefully, choose one that is holy and lead a good life. A bad confessor can lead you astray.

A recommendation to read - Life of St Dominic Savio, by St. Don Bosco. (it is available online and for free)
saintsbooks.net/books/St.%20John%20Bosco%20-%20The%20Life%20of%20Dominic%20Savio.rtf
What a wonderful site. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
 
Wow! Thank you all so much for all the great suggestions and personal experiences. You are very kind.
I think the Holy Spirit is calling me to learn more about my faith and I am stressing and pulling back. I feel overwhelmed with all the information out there that i didnt know where to start or which one was right. But all that you have shared with me here has given me a sense of order and encouragement that im not alone and that it is posible.

Thank you it means so much to me.
 
Help me please. i am a craddle catholic. i go to mass on sundays and confession regurlarly but i feel that i need to do more and dont know exactly what it is i should be doing
i do want to begin by reading the bible.
what is the best way or what would be a good bible study guide?
You go every Sunday? You must know the bible then, being that the entire mass and every mass has nothing but Sacred Scripture through and through 😉 Think someone said if you go every Sunday for 2 or was it 3 years, you’ll have read the entire bible. But the suggestions can’t get any better then what was offered by the other posters 👍
 
After you have surveyed the advice, set it aside for reference, after you have some idea of where you might want to start.

bible study is and should be a lifelong pursuit. So, feel free to start reading the Bible immediately and move around in it. Try some shorter books first.

There’s a book you might come across, maybe by Mike Aquilina, something like 150 verses every Catholic should know. Launching off his idea, you might want to pencil in some verses you like, in the covers of your Bible, or in a notebook.

There are a couple paths for Bible study. 1) Group study 2) private study with study bibles and commentaries, 3) school study of some sort, 4) reading Catholic books on spirituality, and 5) reading protestant or Jewish books on Bible study or spirituality.

I have a stack of books I want to read. I’m starting slowly into the Ignatius Study Bible (new testament only, so far), which is only 521 pages (has almost 200 additional pages of study-help material). This is a category 2 - private study book.

A book I picked up in category 4 is The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin, which someone on this website recommended. 443 pages. You may want to start off with a book like this, before you wade into Bible study type books. This may “get your juices flowing.”

I have more than a hundred books in all these categories, but I’m working on these two, right now. There’s a lot to be said for private study, so don’t overlook that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top