Bests books for a seeker

• Thread starter Thread starter ladylinguist
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

ladylinguist

I’m currently in the process of investingating the Catholic Church (I’m currently Protestant, thinking about converting), and I was just wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations for researching the Church. The only two I’ve read so far are Catholicism for Dummies, and Why Do Catholics Do That? They’re great for the basics, but I’m looking to dig a little deeper.

i’m not too sure about beginner books but for chastity “the good news about sex and marriage” by christopher west is very good.

ladylinguist, Catholicism and Fundamentalism By: Karl Keating
Anything from Scott Hahn, but I suggest any of the: Catholic for a Reasons I, II Or III or the Lamb’s Supper. Suprised By Truth, By Patrick Madrid and most diffenitely The: Catechism of the Catholic Church.

May God bless and protect us,
JLC

When I say deeper, I just mean something that goes beyond the basic practices. Both of the books I read, were pretty much just a basic overview of the church. I’d especially like to read more on theology and history of the Church.

theology for beginners by Frank Sheed

the Faith by Fr. John Hardon

Essentials of the Catholic Faith by Alan Shrenck (Shreck?)

definitive history of the Catholic church is Warren Carrolls multi-volume set.

40.png
ladylinguist:
When I say deeper, I just mean something that goes beyond the basic practices.
Definitely Catechism of the Catholic Church is the authoritative book to read.

Fr. Corapi’s cd’s of “catechism of the Catholic faith” is very good although they are a little pricey.

also i heard that Archbishop Fulton J Sheen’s “Life of Christ” is a great book, some people say they actually cried when reading this book. I’m going to read it after i’m done with “Theology of the Body”

I would recommend Catholicism and Fundamentalism, by Karl Keating, available on this site and others. I have read good chunks of it, and to me he goes into great depth on many of the differences between Catholic and non-Catholic faith. I found it very comprehensive, and what also made me think of it when reading your question is that in many cases he cites statements back to the Early Church Fathers to show the Apostolic Tradition that has carried the Church doctrine from Christ to today. It’s also very comprehensive in its Scripture references.

the Imitation of Christ, which should be in any public library, altho I finally bought it myself

It kinda depends on your background and your favorite styles to read.

For me, anything by Thomas Howard is heads and shoulders above most other apologists. But I just prefer his style.

Catholsism by Fr. McBrian and Choosing to be Catholic. for the First Time or Again.

40.png
pippin:
Catholsism by Fr. McBrian and Choosing to be Catholic. for the First Time or Again.
Am I mistaken? I thought Fr. McBrian’s book was considered rather hererodox.

Well…hmmmm…you have to have a good vocabulary and a decent amount of trivial knowledge to keep up with Howard. He uses some very arcane literary references. That being said, I love his *On Being Catholic. *It is a wonderful book and one I couldn’t put down.I have a habit of just buying books and Howard is definately on my shelf. I hear Lead Kindly Light is good. I would have recommended OBC but I wasn’t sure what you were looking for.

My wife could NOT follow Thomas Howard at ALL!

The Essential Catholic Handbook is a great little reference manual with a dictionary of Catholic terms, a brief overview of the Catechism, a brief overview of Vatican II, and sections on meditative prayer. Imagine dummies condensed to a book about 1/8 the size. But since it’s half dictionary it’s worth having. It’s a Redeptorist Pastoral publication.
40.png
RonRule:
It kinda depends on your background and your favorite styles to read.

For me, anything by Thomas Howard is heads and shoulders above most other apologists. But I just prefer his style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back