Bible Contradictions

  • Thread starter Thread starter NewCatholic1207
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NewCatholic1207

Guest
I would like some assistance with refuting these claims.

A “friend” of my on Facebook posted this little gem as “evidence” of biblical contradictions.

youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

Some of the claims are rather easily refuted (i.e., the faith against works argument) and I am doing my own research but any (name removed by moderator)ut on the others items referenced would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

C.
 
A lot of people don’t like to play videos, but if these supposed “contradictions” are any of the usual suspects, you can find explanations at this tidy well-organized web page. :o
 
The, “the Bible contradicts itself” argument is long outdated. Even if you explain every single supposed contradiction, they’ll still stick to the annotated skepticism as though That is true, anything supporting this is false. I’ll come back this afternoon to link you to a website. But it doesn’t matter, either way. They only seek to distort the texts.
 
I watched part of the Video and saw a lot of flippant shallow nonsense. If your chum has any real questions of substance regarding apparent contradictions get him to give you the contradiction and reason why they contradict and perhaps we might be able to give you a more satisfactory response.
Thanks :cool:
 
I haven’t seen the video and I can’t respond to that specific set of issues, although a couple posts seem to have some good leads.

I just want to encourage you to read the scripture prayerfully and asking the Holy Spirit for assistance. Pray for your friend who holds up these objections. Give him your best example as being a Catholic.

As Fr. John Corapi would say on EWTN, a thousand difficulties do not add up to a single doubt.

At the Second Vatican Council, the Fathers (bishops) approved the document about scripture called Verbum Dei, the word of God. In it, there was a carefully worded statement that the bible “contains” the word of God. This left some wiggle room for problems that seem to arise from scripture.

Now, Verbum Dei does not give examples that apply here, but I ran across one that may make sense to you.

Actually, I found the explanation in a Jewish commentary on Genesis, about the order of things in creation, that light was created before the sun. Well, what kind of light might that have been? The author of the commentary speculated that the author of Genesis might have been referring to the type of light in the sky that we see before dawn or after sunset.

It may be easy for skeptics to tally up lists of things that confuse them, but which may really not be important. It’s a whole other matter to deal with the translation itself, which is sometimes much more difficult than our printed bibles may lead us to believe.

I’m reading the Jewish Publication Society Commentary on Ecclesiastes, which, it says, contains many difficult passages – even though the book is given relatively late authorship.

There are also a certain number of words that appear only once in scripture, and it takes a study of nearby Middle Eastern ancient languages to look for possible suggestions as to the meaning of the word.

There are words that may appear a number of times, but are similar to the previous category. The translators simply don’t know what the word means. One reason given for this is that the words are so ancient, that more modern readers, even at the time of Christ, didn’t have an uncontested translation for a word. In some cases, the scholars look to the Greek Septuagint, to see how the Jews rendered the word into Greek as a clue to what its meaning is.

So, you can accept all the difficulties with a clear conscience and still get a good night’s sleep. There ARE difficulties and most Jews and Christians don’t lose sleep over it.
 
40.png
Crumpy:
I just want to encourage you to read the scripture prayerfully and asking the Holy Spirit for assistance. Pray for your friend who holds up these objections. Give him your best example as being a Catholic.
Very solid advice, Crumpy!

As Catholics, we are always being put on the spot by challengers, in the same way as Jesus’s contemporaries constantly tried to trap him. We need to be wise as serpents, gentle as doves, and avoid getting into controversies over doctrine, as scripture advises. It is a foolish exercise that does little to foster true faith.

I did not watch the link either. You-tube presentations are not reliable sources, and remind me that this is just another media attack that dissenters grab onto in order to ruffle our feathers.

OP, give your friend your sweetest smile and avoid going on the defense. He is well able to find the truth if he is really seeking, but I suspect this is just to needle you.

How well does your faith database address this? forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=4222340&postcount=2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top