Bible Study help

  • Thread starter Thread starter descout
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
…But I have no evidence that Christians are to believe the Trinity. She has said that Christians are to believe in Jesus. Or followers of Christ. I can not argue cause that is true. Where can I find that Christians believe in the Trinity?
This is actually a key and fundamental teaching of the Church. It is the basis of Who Jesus is:
The mystery of the Most Holy Trinity is the central mystery of Christian faith and life. It is the mystery of God in himself. It is therefore the source of all the other mysteries of faith, the light that enlightens them. It is the most fundamental and essential teaching in the “hierarchy of the truths of faith.” The whole history of salvation is identical with the history of the way and the means by which the one true God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, reveals himself to men “and reconciles and unites with himself those who turn away from sin.” (Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraph 234)
From the beginning, the revealed truth of the Holy Trinity has been at the very root of the Church’s living faith, principally by means of Baptism. It finds its expression in the rule of baptismal faith, formulated in the preaching, catechesis, and prayer of the Church. Such formulations are already found in the apostolic writings, such as this salutation taken up in the Eucharistic liturgy: “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” (CCC 249)
The dogma of the Holy Trinity
The Trinity is One. We do not confess three Gods, but one God in three persons, the “consubstantial Trinity.” The divine persons do not share the one divinity among themselves but each of them is God whole and entire: “The Father is that which the Son is, the Son that which the Father is, the Father and the Son that which the Holy Spirit is, i.e., by nature one God.” In the words of the Fourth Lateran Council (1215): “Each of the persons is that supreme reality, viz., the divine substance, essence or nature.” (CCC 253)
rocketrob
 
You bring up an excellent point here that I have mentioned to her before. But I have no evidence that Christians are to believe the Trinity. She has said that Christians are to believe in Jesus. Or followers of Christ. I can not argue cause that is true. Where can I find that Christians believe in the Trinity?
Do you mean aside from the ancient creeds? The words of Jesus “I and the Father are one” “Who has seen Me has seen the Father”?

What about the Great Commission (“Baptise in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit”)? The “prophet” Branham rejected that teaching, apparently.
 
Do you mean aside from the ancient creeds? The words of Jesus “I and the Father are one” “Who has seen Me has seen the Father”?

What about the Great Commission (“Baptise in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit”)? The “prophet” Branham rejected that teaching, apparently.
Very good quotes. Yes Branham will only baptize in Jesus Christ’s name. Everything is through Jesus Christ. He believed I will not be saved the first time because I was baptized as above and will need to go through a tribulation to be saved.

Rocketrob…You bring up excellent quotes that I fully believe…it is just that my girlfriend at this point will not whole heartly believe the dogma and teaching from the CCC.

I am working on showing her the path. That is why I started the post about the Bible study.
 
Rocketrob…You bring up excellent quotes that I fully believe…it is just that my girlfriend at this point will not whole heartly believe the dogma and teaching from the CCC.
I figured this is the case. The thing is that the revelation of the Holy Trinity is something that is shared by almost all mainline protestant denominations, as well as the Catholic Church. The creeds of the differing mainline faith traditions are basically identical, especially in this regard.

So, your girlfriend isn’t disagreeing with only Catholic teaching on this particular issue…she’s basically disagreeing with most mainline Christian faith traditions.

One thing to keep in mind however…just because she doesn’t believe Catholic teaching doesn’t make Catholic teaching any less true.

In addition, to be honest…I mostly put those quotes up for your benefit. You were asking for info related to where belief in the Trinity is proclaimed, and I got the impression that you weren’t sure this was a necessary belief. Since you are a Catholic, I wanted to make sure you knew where to find this info as it pertains to your own Faith. Sorry if I misinterpreted your question in that regard.

rocketrob
 
In addition, to be honest…I mostly put those quotes up for your benefit. You were asking for info related to where belief in the Trinity is proclaimed, and I got the impression that you weren’t sure this was a necessary belief. Since you are a Catholic, I wanted to make sure you knew where to find this info as it pertains to your own Faith. Sorry if I misinterpreted your question in that regard.

rocketrob
Thank you much for the quotes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top