Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

• Thread starter Thread starter IrenkaJMJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IrenkaJMJ

Does anyone know if Bishop Sheen is being considered for sainthood?

Yes he is. Fr. _Apostoli (maybe something llike that) I can see his face, he is with Fr. Groschel, the Friers of the Rewal, is the one in charge of his cause.

Here’s the link to his cause. I got to this through the Diocese of Peoria website:

Abp. Sheen cause

Here’s an open question, is “Servant of God” the same as “Venerable” or is it one step lower?

John

Thank-you Pani and John for the answers and links. My mother is a huge admirer of Sheen and got me interested in him. Thanks again!

40.png
IrenkaJMJ:
Does anyone know if Bishop Sheen is being 🙂 :)nmconsidered for sainthood?
Dear Irenka, I am very happy to see that you are interested in the beatification cause for our professor-archbishop, Fulton J. Sheen. Yes, there is a Fulton J.
Sheen Foundation, in Peoria, Illinois, and the vice-Postulator, Fr. Andrew Apostoli, lives in Yonkers, New York. The process is new
and was opened about a year or so ago by the Bishop of Peoria.

He is coming along nicely in his cause. I was on pilgrimage in Mexico City with Fr. Apostoli, who told me Bishop Sheen already has a couple of approved miracles ready to present to the Office
for Saints, in Rome. Miriads of letters stating favors granted in his
intercessory name are coming in every week to the New York office.

I am asking all contacts to fervantly pray for his canonization. It will be awhile before this really happens. I think it will happen, as
the Bishop lead a very committed and disciplined life in the faith. If you want the address of the office in Peoria or Yonkers, please e-mail me. God Love You, Sharon Katheryn Watern @ swatern@cox.com

I know you have your answers, but I just wanted to add my, “I am so glad that he is!” I love Bishop Sheen. If you can, turn your children on to him and his show. He is every bit as funny and interesting as anything on television today. More so.

JMJ
SFX:blessyou:

40.png
SFX:
I know you have your answers, but I just wanted to add my, “I am so glad that he is!” I love Bishop Sheen. If you can, turn your children on to him and his show. He is every bit as funny and interesting as anything on television today. More so.

JMJ
SFX:blessyou:
👍

Miracles?

(1)
On June 19 this year, exactly at the midpoint of my 50th year, I had a minor miracle. See what the book of Leviticus says about the 50th year – God is granting me grace to purchase me from slavery to sin and to restore me to my father’s house (which I pray is the Catholic Church). At a Catholic bookstore, I bought “Life is Worth Living” paperback (Fulton J. Sheen). I wanted it, but I was only going to get it if it was really on sale (it was full price and I have been out of work since November). The copy of the book underneath had “DISCOUNTED – COVER PUT ON UPSIDE DOWN” taped to it. Sure enough the cover was upside down. In fact it startled me a little – because I thought he was still in purgatory – but I felt as if he personally gave it to me (Bishop Sheen standing upside down on the cover to get my attention). Since I grew up in Upstate New York while he was Bishop/Archbishop, I supposed that Bishop Sheen wanted me to really read and study his book (not just keep it on my shelf). The miracle is for me and not for my bookshelf. So I am reading it each day. The earlier in the day I read from his book, the better my day usually goes. Update (09/13/2004): Last Thursday or Friday, I talked with one of the owners of the bookstore. Somebody showed them that the book cover was upside down. They thought about returning it to the publisher, but decided instead to mark it down and put it back on the shelf. They were not surprised to hear that from my perspective it was a miracle. And they are glad I signed up for RCIA.

(2) August 2, 2004 (11 PM) Just before going to sleep, I prayed some “Our Fathers” and “Hail Marys”. I couldn’t remember St. Augustine’s name (he had prayed “Give me chastity and continence, but not yet.”) So instead I reminded Bishop Sheen that he said “and who in the name of God has not [sin]?” – his “Suffering” telecast. And I asked Bishop Sheen how he was able to get over sin in his life. With my eyes still closed, a very quick instant reply to my prayer was a very dim and very brief red flash of light (which looked like the red light near the front of All Saints Catholic Church). My mind knew the answer right away. Bishop Sheen made a Holy Hour before Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament each day (Eucharistic Adoration). Update (09/13/2004): Last night, I finished reading Fulton Sheen’s autobiography “Treasure in Clay”. It is quite clear that Fulton Sheen gives a lot of credit to God and especially to his daily Holy Hour.

CONTINUING

Continued

(3)
I found a place where Bishop Sheen told a parable just like Jesus did. See “Prayer” page 275 in “Life is Worth Living”, Ignatius.

Parable of Dandelions
“In many homes at springtime, little girls about three and four years of age go out to the lawn and gather up bunches of dandelions. The mother is presented with them very solemnly. This creates a difficulty. She must get a vase for the dandelions; she may even have to display them, which she certainly does not want to do. The mother does not need the dandelions. But the child needs to give them. By accepting the dandelions, the mother is training the child in love, kindness, and goodness.”

Bishop Sheen doesn’t say so, and perhaps it was already overly obvious to all you Roman Catholics.

To me the meaning of Bishop Sheen’s Dandelions Parable is this: That we should make roses for Our Lady in praying the rosary often. That Mary doesn’t need the roses, but she displays them to God because she loves us. And she encourages us to pray the rosary because we need to – to grow in love, kindness and goodness.

Of course, Bishop Sheen’s talk was on prayer and he says in the talk that we need to give God our praise. But isn’t it really neat that Bishop Sheen also hid a deeper message to pray the rosary?

Or am I new and ignorant and you already knew about Bishop Sheen’s deeper hidden plea to often pray the rosary?

Archbishop Sheen’s Prayer is this: “Give me strength, tonight, to speak Thy Truth, that Thou mayest be known, not me; the power to make others love Thee, but not that I may be loved. Instill in those who listen to me a love of Thee, so that there may not be only truth communicated but also a love of that truth.
– from “How to Talk” telecast. He prayed that prayer kneeling down before Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament before each telecast.
I submitted much of this to “the cause” (without the updates).

I got one reply.

= = = = =
Dear John:

MAY THE LORD GIVE YOU HIS PEACE!"

I want to congratulate you on beginning your RCIA / RCIC.

Thank you for your thoughts on Archbishop Sheen’s Dandelions Parable. The Archbishop promoted recessitation of the rosary, and we are trying to promote his World Mission Rosary for world peace.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and may God bless you!

Yours in Jesus, Mary and Joseph,

Fr. Andrew Apostoli, C.F.R.
Vice-Postulator of the Cause

I love what these opposed to Fulton Sheen say about him.
I also love that it is simultaneously an attack on Billy Graham.
I wish my biggest scandal would be to have such friends as these.

See wayoflife.org/fbns/grahamrome1.htm

In part, it reads:

When Sheen died in December 1979, Graham testified that he had “known him as a friend for over 35 years” (Religious News Service, Dec. 11, 1979). Fulton Sheen was a faithful son of Rome. In his book Treasure in Clay, Sheen said that one of his spiritual secrets was to offer Mass every Saturday “in honor of the Blessed Mother to solicit her protection of my priesthood.” Sheen devoted an entire chapter of his biography to Mary, “The Woman I Love.” He said, “When I was ordained, I took a resolution to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Eucharist every Saturday to the Blessed Mother … All this makes me very certain that when I go before the Judgment Seat of Christ, He will say to me in His Mercy: ‘I heard My Mother speak of you.’ During my life I have made about thirty pilgrimages to the shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes and about ten to her shrine in Fatima” (Fulton J. Sheen, Treasure in Clay, p. 317).

In his autobiography, Graham describes the first meeting with Sheen, though he doesn’t give the exact date. He says he was traveling on a train from Washington to New York and was just drifting off to sleep when Sheen knocked on the sleeping compartment and asked to “come in for a chat and a prayer” (Graham, Just As I Am, p. 692). Graham says: “We talked about our ministries and our common commitment to evangelism, and I told him how grateful I was for his ministry and his focus on Christ. … We talked further and we prayed; and by the time he left, I felt as if I had known him all my life.” Thus, Graham claims now that he accepted Fulton Sheen’s sacramental gospel as the truth even in those days. There is a serious problem with this, though. There was a deception in this. While Graham was meeting with Fulton Sheen and befriending him as a fellow evangelist, Graham was assuring fundamentalist leaders, such as Bob Jones Sr. and John R. Rice, that he was opposed to Catholicism and that he was a separatist and a Fundamentalist. It is obvious, though, that Billy Graham never was committed to that in his heart.
Graham was soon openly doing what Mr. Beavan labeled “ridiculous” and “inconceivable.” On Sept. 6, 1952, reporter William McElwain, writing for the Pittsburgh Sun-Telegraph, remarked on Graham’s ecumenical activities with Rome:

Graham stressed that his crusade in Pittsburgh would be interdenominational. He said that he hopes to hear Bishop Fulton J. Sheen at one of the Masses at St. Paul’s Cathedral tomorrow. Graham said, ‘Many of the people who have reached a decision for Christ at our meetings have joined the Catholic church and we have received commendations from Catholic publications for the revived interest in their church following one of our campaigns. This happened both in Boston and Washington. After all, one of our prime purposes is to help the churches in a community.’

It doesn’t sound to me that Dr. Ketcham’s aforesaid questions were ridiculous. Graham publicly admitted he was already turning seekers over to the Catholic Church in the early 1950s.

I’m old enough to have watched Bishop Sheen on TV when I was a kid. He could contort his face dramatically and gesture so that I was sort of afraid of him.

Of course, there he is in those re-runs on EWTN, doing exactly the same thing.

Before and now, I thought the way he strikes those poses was sort of gay, before anyone knew what gay was. I studied psychology and I still don’t understand how thinking is patterned in an individual – namely me. I still feel the same way about him now as I did when I was a kid.

More than anything else, I don’t understand him. I try so hard to see what point he is making and it still escapes me so often. He is often quoting from scholars and I’m distracted by that. His stage theatrics may please a lot of people, but it’s a negative for me.

Sainthood? Well, he probably had a virtuous life, behind the TV camera, what do I know about it?

And, for the record, he was an archbishop at the time of his passing, I believe. “Archbishop Sheen”

Martin Sheen is Hispanic and adopted Sheen’s name as his own.
That’s interesting.

I am sure this was just a momentary lapse but I cannot believe a committed Christian, which most of the participants in this forum claim to be, let alone a Catholic would make such a throw-away slur against anyone based on a television appearance. The fact that the target of the slur is a prominent Catholic cleric is beside the point, the remark would be uncalled for against anyone, including an hollywood type, reporter, sports figure, celebrity or anyone on TV for any reason.

I had the distinct impression very early today that Mary was deeply concerned when Fulton Sheen had such pains in the hospital. See renewamerica.us/columns/kralis/040810 how Fulton Sheen suffered on three feast days of Our Lady. Note also that after Fulton Sheen was born, his birth mother dedicated him on an alter to Mary. Archbishop Sheen was always dedicated to Mary, and offered Mass every Saturday in honor of the Blessed Mother to solicit her protection of his priesthood.

(4) On EWTN’s 26 November 2004 weekly re-broadcast of Fulton Sheen, he gave a story about a woman who was given an onion. She made a big mistake by yelling “It’s my onion.”

At the very end where he gave a final good bye blessing, Fulton Sheen said that he would like to give everyone a rose or a carnation.

I quickly understood his final good bye to be this: “To pray to Fulton Sheen and ask him to pray a Rosary for me and to give the rose to Our Lady”. Remembering what happened to the woman who said “It’s my onion”, I knew it would be a mistake to ask Fulton Sheen for the rose and say “It’s my rose.” We are much better off to ask Fulton Sheen to give the rose to Our Lady.

Last night (27 November 2004) I prayed and asked Fulton Sheen to pray the rosary for me to and to make a really nice rose and give it to Mary. I asked Fulton Sheen to give Our Lady a beautiful rose – one that would make her say “ahh” when she sees it.

And this morning I first woke at almost 5 AM and I am convinced that Fulton Sheen had prayed a beautiful rosary for me and gave it to Our Lady.

Request for Action: please pray to Fulton Sheen and ask him to pray a beautiful rosary for you and present it to Mary.

Today is 25 years since Fulton Sheen died.

Today, Archbishop Fulton Sheen Foundation members will be in New York City for a Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral and an annual meeting.

He was also remembered in El Paso Texas.

And he is remembered by newspapers in Peoria Illinois and elsewhere.

In Northwest Indiana, a reporter remarks that the “TV Bishop still gets ratings”.

John Higgins:
Here’s the link to his cause. I got to this through the Diocese of Peoria website:

Abp. Sheen cause

Here’s an open question, is “Servant of God” the same as “Venerable” or is it one step lower?

John
One step lower. The title “Servant of God” is used to open a cause. When permission is given, the subject is then regarded as a "Servant of God’, which is not a judgment as to if they are or are not a Saint, merely, that they are worthy of investigation for Sainthood. I guess you could say that is the beginning research stage.

The levels in the process of canonization are then Venerable, Blessed, and Saint.

Venerable - The congregation researches the candidate’s virtues to verify if the person practiced virtue to a heroic degree, or died a martyr’s death, and either does or does not recommend their cause. When the pope accepts the report, the candidate in termed “Venerable.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back