Blessed Pope John Paul II's talk

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChibiViolet
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ChibiViolet

Guest
Does anyone know what the name of Blessed Pope John Paul II’s talk in which he said that in the case of a person in mortal sin and near death, if they desired to repent and were unable to go to Confession, than Jesus would come and help them to repent? I’d like to look this up so I can read about the specifics of this teaching. I’ve looked it up before and haven’t been able to find anything.

Also, is this an infalible teaching?
 
Does anyone know what the name of Blessed Pope John Paul II’s talk in which he said that in the case of a person in mortal sin and near death, if they desired to repent and were unable to go to Confession, than Jesus would come and help them to repent? I’d like to look this up so I can read about the specifics of this teaching. I’ve looked it up before and haven’t been able to find anything.

Also, is this an infalible teaching?
The Church teaches that if you are in a state of mortal sin and you make an act of perfect contrition you would be saved if you die before getting to Confession.

The only problem I see is how you could be sure you had indeed made an act of perfect contrition!
 
The Church teaches that if you are in a state of mortal sin and you make an act of perfect contrition you would be saved if you die before getting to Confession.

The only problem I see is how you could be sure you had indeed made an act of perfect contrition!
This is why we trust in God and his mercy, love, and forgiveness. He is not bound by our human thoughts and limitations and “what ifs”
 
40.png
coachdennis:
This is why we trust in God and his mercy, love, and forgiveness. He is not bound by our human thoughts and limitations and “what ifs”

He is bound by the teachings of the Church because Christ gave the Church authority in matters of faith and morals and said in Matt 18:18 “Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

That means an act of perfect contrition will save you (if you have made such an act) if you die before getting to Confession but an act of imperfect contrition will not.
 
What I thought the teaching meant was that Jesus would come and help you to make a perfect act of contrition if you wanted to…Does anyone know the name of the talk?
 
I will still put my trust in the total mercy and forgiveness and wisdom of Jesus.
 
I will still put my trust in the total mercy and forgiveness and wisdom of Jesus.
That’s great. I put my trust in Him too, but not in myself. I’m a chronic mortal sinner so I don’t know if I’ll be okay. I try not to be and go to Confession almost every day (and no, I’m not scrupulous. If I explained in full, you would believe me, but it’s embarassing so I’m not usually specific about it, except during Confession.)

Also, I don’t think I can make a perfect act of contrition, as I heard that that implies that in order to do so one must rather die a thousand deaths (and I assume painful deaths, if one does not care about dying in and of itself, which I don’t–not when it comes to myself anyway) than commit another sin, or at least mortal sin (well, not that last part, but I took it as a given that that is the case.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top