Blessing items...so what good does it do?

• Thread starter Thread starter Paris_Blues
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paris_Blues

What difference does it really make if something is blessed or not - like a medal or scapular, etc.? I mean, I have a lot of Catholic “stuff” at my apartment that has not been blessed and it doesn’t make a difference.

So what’s the deal here? If a priest blesses it, does that mean, oh, it’s a “luck charm”? :rolleyes: 🙂

Sorry if I’m starting to go back to my Protestantism “traits” :o

I’m no theologian, but I would say that the priest is annointed by God to be persona Christi–to act in the place of Christ. So, by blessing an object, he is giving it the blessing of Christ. If you could have Jesus Christ bless a medal, wouldn’t that make it different to you than one He has not blessed? Also, we must remember that there is a supernatural realm that we cannot see. It might be a little Protestant since most Protestants don’t see how sacraments or sacramentals give grace. Remember, too, that the priest represents the Church. Jesus told us what the Church binds on earth is bound in Heaven. So, the blessing the priest gives is honored in heaven. Yea! 👍

JMJ Theresa:
I’m no theologian, but I would say that the priest is annointed by God to be persona Christi–to act in the place of Christ. So, by blessing an object, he is giving it the blessing of Christ. If you could have Jesus Christ bless a medal, wouldn’t that make it different to you than one He has not blessed? Also, we must remember that there is a supernatural realm that we cannot see. It might be a little Protestant since most Protestants don’t see how sacraments or sacramentals give grace. Remember, too, that the priest represents the Church. Jesus told us what the Church binds on earth is bound in Heaven. So, the blessing the priest gives is honored in heaven. Yea! 👍
Good explanation.

An unblessed item (medal, scapular, etc.) is merely that – an inanimated object.

However, when that item has been blessed, while the blessed object does not of itself give grace, it does PREPARE us to receive actual graces. Additionally, blessed objects help us to receive forgiveness of our venial sins, which are less serious offenses against the law of God. Also, blessed objects obtain for us the forgiveness of the punishment we deserve for our sins. Finally, blessed objects obtain for us health of body and other blessings that we need in our daily life and protect us from the power of the devil and temptations to do evil.

For more information, check out by Our Lady Teaches About Sacramentals and Blesses ObjectsAlbert J. M. Shamon.

We bless things because they serve people and in the blessing, we give glory to God. We certainly don’t do that for superstitution.

Perhaps some references will help highlight this.

Blessings are acts of divine worship and sacramentals are “sacred signs by which effects, especially spiritual effects, are signified in some imitation and are obtained through the intercession of the Church.” (cc. 1166-1172). The Catechism of the Catholic Church speaks about sacramentals at usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt4.htm .

The decree which published the Book of Blessings notes that the celebration of blessings holds a privileged place among the sacamentals created by the Church for the pastoral benefit of the people of God. As a liturgical action, the celebration leads the faithful to praise God and prepares them for the principal effect of the sacraments. By celebrating a blessing the faithful can also sanctify various situations and events in their lives.” (Congregation for Divine Worship, 31 May 1984).

The introduction indicates that “Blessings therefore refer first and foremost to God, whose majesty and goodness they extol, and since they indicate the communication of God’s favor, they also involve human beings, whom he governs and in his providence protects. Further, blessings apply to other created things through which, in their abuundance and variety, God blesses human beings.” (n. 7).

“[T]he Church has a profound concern that the celebration of blessings should truly contribute to God’s praise and glory and should serve to better God’s people. In order that this intention of the Church should stand out more clearly, blessing formularies have, from age old tradition, centered above all on glorifying God for his gifts, on imploring favors from him, and on restraining the power of evil in this world.” (n. 11)

What JMJ Theresa has said about priests and blessings is true 🙂 but could be broadened a little.

Again, the Book of Blessing reads:

“The ministry of blessing involves a particular exercise of the priesthood of Christ and, in keeping with the place and office within the people of God belonging to each person, the exercise of this ministry is determined in the following manner:

“a. It belongs to the ministry of the bishop to preside at celebrations that involve the entire diocesan community and that are carried out with special solemnity and with a large attendance of the faithful. The bishop, accordingly, may reserve certain celebrations to himself, particularly those celebrated with special solemnity.

“ b. It belongs to the ministry of presbyter or priest, in keeping with the nature of his service to the people of God, to preside at those blessings especially that involve the community he is appointed to serve. Priests therefore may preside at the celebration of all the blessings in this book, unless a bishop is present at presider.

“c. It belongs to the minister of a deacon to preside at those blessings that are so indicated in place in this book, because, as the minister of the altar, of the word, and of charity, the deacon is the assistant of the bishop and the college of presbyters. But whenever a priest is present, it is more fitting that the office of presiding be assigned to him and that the deacon assist by carrying out those functions proper to the diaconate.

“d. An acolyte or a reader who by formal institution has this special office in the Church is rightly preferred over another layperson as the minister designated at the discretion of the local Ordinary to impart certain blessings.

“Other laymen and laywomen, in virtue of the universal priesthood, a dignity they possess because of their baptism and confirmation, may celebrate certain blessings, as indicated in the respective orders of blessings, by use of the rites and formularies designated for a lay minister. Such laypersons exercise this ministry in virtue of their office (for example, parents on behalf of their children) or by reason of some special liturgical ministry or in fulfillment of a particular charge in the Church, as is the case in many places with religious or catechists appointed by decision of the local Ordinary, after ascertaining their proper pastoral formation and prudence in the apostolate.

“ But whenever a priest or a deacon is present, the office of presiding should be left to him.”

It’s the good that blessing does to oneself that is the key thing.

From the “old” Baltimore Catechism on sacramentals:

Q. What are sacramentals?
A. Sacramentals are holy things or actions of which the Church makes use to obtain for us from God, through her intercession, spiritual and temporal favors.

Q. How do the sacramentals obtain favors from God?
A. …obtain favors from God through the prayers of the Church offered for those who make use of them, and through the devotion they inspire.

That’s to the point, clearly, succinctly.

One has to remember, though, that not everything that has been blessed becomes a sacramental. I own two cars, both have been blessed, neither is a sacramental.

Items in question in the original post probably refered to are those which would be used as objects of devotion. Things like holy water, rosaries, images of Our Lord, the BVM, saints etc.

On the question of blessing a scapular. In the case of the Brown Scapular, once a person has been invested in the Brown Scapular (for cradle Catholics, usually done in connection with First Communion) replacement scapulars do not have to be blessed. The cloth brown scapular is “related” to the religious habit of the Carmelite Order - the “apron” that hangs on the front and back, over the shoulders of the wearer. When a religious replaces his/her habit, the replacement is not blessed as was the original. It just carries over, so to speak. I would suppose that the replacement Scapular Medal would be blessed.

Just another advantage given to us by our Faith!

Just an FYI - new replacement medals need to be blessed, unlike replacement cloth scapulars.

I looked into this quite a lot, as I’ve gotten a few new sacramentals this year.

A blessing for a religious item sets that item apart for a religious purpose.

It is well known by exorcists that blessed water (holy water) affects the possessed person. Satan knows the difference between something that is blessed and something that is not.

Of course, we should not use blessed items in a superstitious way, but allow them to inspire us.

Ok, I have a question. I have two cruxifies, both were my grandmothers, a very devoit catholic, she has passed, so I have no idea if they were blessed.

I am having a difficult time with faith etc. I attempted the other day to take down the two crosses. I was unable to did it for reasons unknown to me.

Question, should I have these blessed, to perhaps help me prepare to receive actual graces, or at least keep satan from getting his grubby paws on me?

scared

40.png
scared:
Ok, I have a question. I have two cruxifies, both were my grandmothers, a very devoit catholic, she has passed, so I have no idea if they were blessed.

I am having a difficult time with faith etc. I attempted the other day to take down the two crosses. I was unable to did it for reasons unknown to me.

Question, should I have these blessed, to perhaps help me prepare to receive actual graces, or at least keep satan from getting his grubby paws on me?

scared
Yes, certainly have them blessed. Mention to the priest that you do not know if they were blessed before.

40.png
scared:
should I have these blessed, to perhaps help me prepare to receive actual graces, or at least keep satan from getting his grubby paws on me?
Also, if one uses sacramentals and does not live a holy life, then the sacramentals are useless, for the greatest demons live in our hearts.

By a holy life, I mean sincerely trying to repent of your sins on a daily basis, obeying the Ten Commandments, obeying Christ’s commandments, obeying the laws of the Church, and devoting some portion of your day to prayer (thirty seconds of prayer will do … in a pinch). A holy life is a life of charity and love, and without the intent of a holy life, sacramentals are useless.

You can’t walk around and be a Grinch and expect Sacramentals to protect you from the Devil–for when you’re a Grinch, you become an imitation of the Devil.

On the other hand, sacramentals in combination with a holy life is a dynamite way to keep demons away. Demons fear a humble soul totally devoted to God, and they also don’t like holy items.

Sometimes Demons will attempt to attack you if you are trying to be a holy person. Sacramentals help keep the nasties from attacking you directly. This is their best use.

In my own experience, these Demonic attacks come at you, most of the time, through other people. The Evil One sees he can’t get to you directly, so he enters the hearts of friends, family, and coworkers and uses them to attack you and tempt you into sin. I’ve gotten wise to some of the enemies’ tactics, so when one of my family members or friends seems to “go off their rocker” and verbally assault me for no good reason, I try to keep my reaction to a minimum. I assume their attack on me is largely driven by the Snake.

It ain’t easy, however, because the Evil One often changes form and tactics. The Devil ain’t dumb.

Sacramentals do help. They are powerful if used in faith. But most of all, I really, really try to live a holy life. I get up every day and pick up that cross! I pray to make all my daily actions a prayer and I try to make the Will of God at the center of all these actions.

Contents of entire post taken from here.​

Sir Knight:

You are in a place, I am unable to get to, right now. My hope is that with the help of some people, and alot of very very hard work I will very slowly beable to work my way back toward God. It will not happen overnight. At this point any advantage to ward off negative feelings toward God I should attempt.

scared

Scared,

I will keep you in my prayers. Be assured that the Lord loves you very much.

Sir Knight’s post reminded me of a story my Sister once told me about sacramentals.

Short and sweet
A women wore a scapular believing the promise of going to heaven when she died. She lived a very wild life. After getting in a car accident and nearly dead she woke in her hospital bed screaming to get this thing off of her. Once her scapular was removed she died.

So it shows the power of Mary’s promise. But it also tells us the importance of leading a virtuous life.

40.png
scared:
You are in a place, I am unable to get to, right now. My hope is that with the help of some people, and alot of very very hard work I will very slowly beable to work my way back toward God. It will not happen overnight. At this point any advantage to ward off negative feelings toward God I should attempt.
Do not assume where I am. I’ve stated the ideal where we all SHOULD be and just because I make the effort to be there does not mean that I am always successful. Do not assume and do not compare yourself to others for only God knows the state of our souls and I could be much further down the ladder than you.

We are all sinners and I will pray for you and ask that you pray for me.

40.png
Toni:
A women wore a scapular believing the promise of going to heaven when she died. She lived a very wild life. After getting in a car accident and nearly dead she woke in her hospital bed screaming to get this thing off of her. Once her scapular was removed she died.
I heard the exact same story. 😉

Sir Knight:

If I have offended you I appologize. I made no assumption, only that you are in a place that I am not. I am not at a point that I can even pray, so we are not in the same place. You are correct God only knows. Assumptions and comparisions are a part of life, right or wrong, another part of what God gave us free will.

scared.

Oh, I was not offended in the least and no need for apologies. I just did not want you to put yourself down by comparing yourself to me. That’s all.

PS: I went through a period of dryness (being unable to pray) that lasted nearly seven years. Recall that the prophets of old and even a lot of the saints – went through great trials and at times it seemed that they were abandoned by God.

God very often pushes us to the end of human strength – beating us into the dust from which we came in order to cleanse & purge us for His purpose … getting the metal ready for the Maker’s hand.

-- Para-phrased from Cecil B. DeMille’s biblical epic, “THE TEN COMMANDMENTS”.​

40.png
Toni:
Short and sweet

So it shows the power of Mary’s promise. But it also tells us the importance of leading a virtuous life.
:bigyikes: Short, but definitely not sweet!! That story gives me the shivers…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back