BNP Movement is it of God? Help please

• Thread starter Thread starter vintagex
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vintagex

Not sure if anyone will see this but my parents have been deeply involved with a group from the Philippines with a center in Ontario, California called the Banal Na Pag Aaral or BNP. They have a chairperson called Ate Salve who is said to be an instrument of Mahal an Ingkong/the Holy Spirit. Ever since I was a small kid my parents have brought me to many of the gatherings they held. They have always felt a little eerie to me, many times we woke up early in the mornings (around 4am) to witness MNI, who speaks through Ate Salve. This always happened in the dark and it was always either late at night or extremely early in the morning.

Once we went to a room to pray and the room was dark and the only light was a glowing red light that filled the entire room dimly. We all kneeled before a statue of Jesus while a dark classical song played in the background. Members wear white clothing and apparently you are never allowed to ask questions or bring your phones into the building. I always felt this was all a little strange, but I never questioned it because my parents are deeply devoted to it. But now I have done loads of research and apparently it has been banned by the bishops and archdiocese in many cities and countries and is actually NOT of roman catholic teachings.

I’m a catholic myself and would like to know if anyone has further info on whether or not this group is of God.

If the bishops have rejected it, God has rejected it. That’s the beauty of Catholicism… Christ gave the apostles and their successors, the bishops, real authority so we can have certainty and peace.

It seems quite obvious to me (and others here) that if bishops do not approve of a movement, it is not “of God” and Catholics should avoid it.

Nevertheless, I have seen (including recently) a lot of Catholics who think they know better than the bishop when it comes to some unapproved movement or purported private revelation. These people get so attracted to the movement or purported revelation that they will actually get mad at someone who points out that the bishop does not approve and will respond with something like “Oh the bishop is wrong” or “The bishop just disagrees on Point A and we have also points B, C and D” or “We must pray for the bishop that he will open his mind” or “Bishops are wrong on (list whole bunch of things) and they are wrong on this too” etc.

Nevertheless, if the bishops reject it then Catholics need to be obedient and not have anything to do with it, and it cannot be considered to be “of God”. Bishops do not reject things on a whim.

Last edited:
Answering in 2 posts due to limitation of signs.

Their teaching isn’t compatible with teaching of Catholic Church and you shouldn’t be involved into that. If you can warn your parents about it explain them why is it bad.
Problem isn’t in “not being allowed to bring your phone into building”, problem is in their teaching and what they do. I find that:
Warning on organization
A non-Catholic group is operating in certain parts of the diocese that sometimes masquerades itself as a Catholic organization. The name of this group is Banal Na Pag-aaral (BNP). It is a movement founded in the Philippines in 1968 which, among other things, teaches that God is to be worshipped as “Mahal na Ingkong.” The BNP teaches that “Mahal na Ingkong” communicates with human beings through Mrs. Salve Carreon, who is the chairperson of the BNP movement. She allows her followers to reverence her with genuflections and other gestures normally reserved to Christ.
The BNP is propagated through weekend retreats called “Apostolic Mission Classes,” modeled on the Cursillo, but intended to introduce new members both to the teachings of the BNP and to “Mahal na Ingkong.” During these retreats traditional Roman Catholic teaching is mixed with BNP doctrine, sometimes giving retreatants the false impression that the BNP is a Catholic organization. The group has been investigated and condemned. Bishop Gerald Barnes of San Bernardino stated, “The BNP movement promotes activities and teachings that are not in conformity with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.” Similar statements and expressions of concern have been issued by Cardinal Sin of the Philippines, Archbishop John R. Quinn of San Francisco
http://www.catholicvoiceoakland.org/2012/04-30/thechurch.htm
The BNP teaches that “Mahal na Ingkong” communicates with human beings through Mrs. Salve Carreon, who is the chairperson of the BNP movement.
This is called channelling (spiritsm) and isn’t allowed to do it and be involved into as Catholic.
Channeling is a practice in which one relinquishes his free will so that a deceased person or angelic spirit may communicate through him to himself and others. A recent document from the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, Jesus Christ, the Bearer of the Water of Life: a Christian Reflection on the New Age (2003)
https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/...s/rc_pc_interelg_doc_20030203_new-age_en.html

Last edited:
CCC on this and simmilar:
Divination and magic
God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.
2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
2117 All practices of magic or sorcery , by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. * Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.*
https://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a1.htm
BNP Movement has many errors and you should leave it as soon as possible, and your parents and confess it.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back