Book recommendations to Understand the Bible and Catholicism?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlueRain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlueRain

Guest
Hello,
I’m looking for some books to better understand the Bible, especially to help out my youngest brother, to be a little more familiar with each book of the Bible and to get a better sense of the history.

Also, just some good books to understand the faith better and mediate on any theme.

I have Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and I plan to get (again) the Screwtape Letters, books by Scott Hahn, Karl Keating, and the Cathecism. But I want more. I don’t plan it to be an intense Bible study, but just want to start slow, so my family won’t get so overwhelmed.
 
Here are just a few suggestions to get you started (I’m sure you’ll get many more). These are all good introductory books and can be easily gotten at your local Catholic bookstore or on the web:

You Can Understand the Bible, by Peter Kreeft
Where We Got The Bible, by Henry Graham
Understanding the Scriptures, by Dr. Scott Hahn
Introduction to the Bible, by Antonio Fuentes
The Navarre Bible commentaries
The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible
The Holman Bible Atlas

There’s tons more I could say. For more info, please visit my humble website at the link below.
 
Hello,
I’m looking for some books to better understand the Bible, especially to help out my youngest brother, to be a little more familiar with each book of the Bible and to get a better sense of the history.

Also, just some good books to understand the faith better and mediate on any theme.

I have Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, and I plan to get (again) the Screwtape Letters, books by Scott Hahn, Karl Keating, and the Cathecism. But I want more. I don’t plan it to be an intense Bible study, but just want to start slow, so my family won’t get so overwhelmed.
First, I would start off with the Church’s document on how we should read the Bible, “Constitution on Divine Revelation - Dei Verbum.” It’s not that long and could probably be read in one sitting.

There are three principles we must use in order to avoid error:
  1. Always read the Bible as a whole, in context of the whole. Not in snippets.
  2. Always read the Bible in light of Holy Tradition.
  3. Always read the Bible in light of the analogy of the Faith given to us by the living Magisterium of the Church. (The Catholic Catechism would be a great start here.)
Every part of the Bible contains all of the Bible. This may not be readily obvious, but it is the truth. So, it is all good. 🙂
 
I would add:
A Biblical Defense of Catholicism by Dave Armstrong
Catholic Verses by Dave Armstrong
Does the Bible Really Say That by Patrick Madrid
 
First, I would start off with the Church’s document on how we should read the Bible, “Constitution on Divine Revelation - Dei Verbum.” It’s not that long and could probably be read in one sitting.

There are three principles we must use in order to avoid error:
  1. Always read the Bible as a whole, in context of the whole. Not in snippets.
  2. Always read the Bible in light of Holy Tradition.
  3. Always read the Bible in light of the analogy of the Faith given to us by the living Magisterium of the Church. (The Catholic Catechism would be a great start here.)
Every part of the Bible contains all of the Bible. This may not be readily obvious, but it is the truth. So, it is all good. 🙂
Yes, these three points are actually what I want my family to consider when they read the Bible. My brother wants to read it more too and this is what I was trying to point out.

Thank you all for these great recommendations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top