Books on Franciscan Spirituality

• Thread starter Thread starter WanderAimlessly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WanderAimlessly

Since I currently belong to a parish ran by the Franciscans (OMF’s out of Cincinnati) I am looking into the spirituality of the Franciscans.

Can anyone suggest books on the subject. I have seen a couple, but do not know if they are any good. And, yes, I am going to check with the Franciscans at the parish, but I want some independant recommendations.

PF

I’m going to be spending a week with the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal next week. They said the best way to understand their spirituality is to read about the life of St. Francis, and asked me to read “The Life of St. Francis” by St. Bonaventure, before I come.

So I guess I’ll recommend that book, although I just got it yesterday 😛

Josh

I highly recommend:

To Live as Francis Lived by Leonard Foley, O.F.M.
@ St. Anthony Messenger Press
1615 Republic Street
Cincy, OH 45210
513-241-5615

As it says on the jacket: Whether you are a professed Franciscan of many years or someone just beginning to seek spiritual understanding of Francis, it will lead you to a closer life with Jesus Christ. Through a process of prayer, reflection, study texts, questions and connections to Scripture, you will be formed in the Franciscan way of life as Francis lived it in his own time.

It is one that I treasure and refer to often. Enjoy!

Sounds like you might be getting a call to follow in the footsteps of St. Francis. There are so many books that you would be very much surprised. For instance: The Rule of the Order-“The Little Red Book,” The Way of St. Francis by Fr. Murray Bondo. Fr. Murray goes world wide to meet with Seculars and give talks. For a complete list see site below:

www.rc.net/sfo/laverna/resources/books.htm

Good luck- I am now serving as Minister to an Order. There are many very spiritual people that have found a home in Franciscan Spirituality.

Deacon Tony

Deacon Tony560:
Sounds like you might be getting a call to follow in the footsteps of St. Francis. There are so many books that you would be very much surprised. For instance: The Rule of the Order-“The Little Red Book,” The Way of St. Francis by Fr. Murray Bondo. Fr. Murray goes world wide to meet with Seculars and give talks. For a complete list see site below:I have heard of “The Way of St. Francis” but did not know how good it was. I have “A Retreat with Francis & Clare of Assisi” by Fr. Murray and did enjoy it.
I could not find Rule of the Order-"The Little Red Book out on Amazon.

As for “getting a call to follow in the footsteps of St. Francis”, I am currently more interested in learing the spirituality of the Franciscans who run my parish since I am looking to possibly get a Spiritual Director there. But you never know.

PF

Another book you might want to consider (it’s relatively new, and not on the list that Deacon Tony linked to) is “Franciscan Prayer” by Ilia Delio.

Crazy Internet Junkie Society
****Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

40.png
WanderAimlessly:
I have heard of “The Way of St. Francis” but did not know how good it was. I have “A Retreat with Francis & Clare of Assisi” by Fr. Murray and did enjoy it.
I could not find Rule of the Order-"The Little Red Book out on Amazon.

As for “getting a call to follow in the footsteps of St. Francis”, I am currently more interested in learing the spirituality of the Franciscans who run my parish since I am looking to possibly get a Spiritual Director there. But you never know.

PF

How wonderful of you to show an interest in the Order that runs your parish. Franciscans are great spiritual directors and retreat directors.
Sometimes, they will help to establish a new Secular Franciscan Fraternity, if there is not one nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back